Comments: Suh-Suh-Suh-Somethin’ from the Comments

Okay, I am going to apologize in advance for this because it is meaninglessly picky but I am a tax accountant and I cannot help myself. Giving $400 to the Red Cross does not actually cost $400 because you may deduct the contribution on your tax return, where it will save you (your marginal tax rate, say 28%) times 400 = $112; which means your $400 contribution only cost you $388.

I'm sorry, I had to do it. If I ever write a novel (highly unlikely) you may feel free to criticize it mercilessly.

Posted by kmkat at March 12, 2009 6:47 PM

I was an English major, I am so not the math person, so am I misunderstanding kmkat's comment? Wouldn't $400 minus $112 be $288, not $388?

I DO like Backseat Saints more than Saints in the Backseat, though personally I find it just a teeny bit hissy still. Those darned snakes, they just won't stop.

Feel better soon, already!

Posted by ccr in MA at March 12, 2009 7:09 PM

Joshilyn, are your Saints in Leather, by any chance?

As for that plague that's plaguing you and yours, HEAL! That's an order.

Posted by Sandra Leigh at March 12, 2009 8:16 PM

As someone who DOES live in one of those square states with Dakota in it, can you stop here next time? Please? We'd love you up right, and not just you'd be the only author we'd see all year.

Posted by Lisa at March 12, 2009 9:16 PM

Ahem ... Illinois is a pretty big state, and you, ah, barely stepped off the plane. Just sayin.

Posted by Patti at March 12, 2009 9:52 PM

I am assuming that a month's worth of whooping cough will take at least 1/2 a month to feel better and about three months to totally de-phlegm. Just sayin'. I've had bad boughts of bronchitis that had me hacking up a lung well into May.

Hot. . .steamy. . .REALLY helps break up the gunk. By that I mean hot, steamy beverages and showers. Sounds like something your backseat saints might enjoy. :)

Posted by Roxanne at March 12, 2009 9:55 PM

Hey, if "Backseat Saints" sticks, then we'll get to just keep referring to the book as "BS!" ;-)

Ooh, yeah, Roxanne. You just brought back bad memories of bronchitis bouts I had decades ago that had me coughing three months at a time. People accused me of having TB. The desrt-dry air in the college dorms was not helping!

Posted by Brigitte at March 13, 2009 5:51 AM

How about Boston, Massachusetts? I would so come and see you!! :)There is a great independent bookstore called Brookline Booksmith that does author readings and signings. When you get your itinerary, you should post it on your blog so we could all come cheer you on. And I like the title. Feel better soon.

Posted by Erin at March 13, 2009 9:44 AM

I like Backseat Saints! Hope you feel better soon!

Posted by Jess at March 13, 2009 9:51 AM

I like Backseat Saints! In some ways, I think it's better not to exactly mimic the title structure of gods. Somehow that borders on cutesie, and your books are NOT cutesie.

What I don't like? You and Maisie still being sick. What gives? Do you need to make a sacrifice to the gods of MUCUS?

Posted by Aimee at March 13, 2009 10:13 AM

I WAS at Brookline for THE GIRL WHO STOPPED SWIMMING!

I was I was, pinky swears.

I think 4 people came ALAS!
WHERE WERE YA!

Posted by Joshilyn at March 13, 2009 11:29 AM

Backseat Saints is a great title. And Berkeley, California? Woohoo! That's where I am! Now I really really can't wait to read it.

Posted by Holly at March 13, 2009 12:31 PM

Appropos of nothing: TGWSS is a "Librarian's Pick" at the Bethesda branch of Montgomery County Public Library (MD) right now :-) I walked in and almost hugged the book when I saw it on display!

Posted by BethR at March 13, 2009 2:06 PM

I'm glad you double hearted Saints in Schrodinger's Box. I hope your chuckle or laugh didn't deteriorate into a coughing fit. I'd feel bad. I'd feel badly? And if you need a new city to visit on this next book tour, may I suggest Reno, NV. It's only 100 miles away. I'll come see you. And take you to all the "Best Pick for (insert sin of your choice)" places to eat and drink. Further enticement - Lots of alcohol and pretty sparkly lights and dry air (good for phlegmy lungs) available in the area. I can even take you over the backdrop of mountains to see Lake Tahoe. I've got me a Subie. Sadly, it's not orange. But it does have 4WD.

Posted by Laume at March 13, 2009 10:18 PM

Backseat Saints... uuuhhh would be out of their leather wouldn't they?

Posted by Cele at March 14, 2009 1:04 AM

so as you're planning the itinerary for the backseat saints tour, please include louisville, ky's carmichael's bookstore, which was just named publisher weekly's indy bookstore of the year...

Posted by dramamama at March 14, 2009 10:59 PM

I like Backseat Saints, except it reminds me of backseat drivers. My dh is a backseat driver who thinks he is a saint, not like yours who is a saint. Maybe Backseat Saints in Man World- too long-
Backseat Saints in Theory ?

Posted by Kudzufan at March 15, 2009 2:17 AM