Comments: Not-stalgia

yet another reason not to add facebook to my vast energy vampire activities.....

Posted by dramamama at February 23, 2009 3:12 PM

Now I'm COMPLETELY convinced not to join Facebook. I have enough memories I'm already trying to forget.

Posted by Alison at February 23, 2009 3:23 PM

And yet, there's something endearing about Facebook. I've gotten in touch with some of my former students, and it's great to see how they're doing.

Oh, but Peach, we ALL did things like that in high school! What I find interesting is that equally bone-headed things I've done since then don't hurt as much as the ones in high school. It's as if those raw, exposed nerve endings never really fade with time.

Funny, that.

Posted by Fran at February 23, 2009 3:37 PM

THAT is hilarious...Facebook is a wonderfully terrible thing! But, just think, if you hadn't offended "John" you probably wouldn't have your extraordinarily romantical, chocolate/coffee/gardenia bush-buying, vanity tag-getting husband! Therefore, your youthful transgression was for the greater good. REJOICE!

Posted by Carmen at February 23, 2009 3:44 PM

I gotta be the first and maybe only one to say, John was a hypersensitive freak. How is saying that a certain group of people eat spicy food and have cast-iron stomachs racist?? A bit of a generalization/hyperbole maybe, but racist???

Get over yourself, John.

I love Facebook just for these bizarre encounters. The guy who hit me over the head (REALLY HARD) with a math book (hardcover) in Grade Four, added me on Facebook. When we tried to chat I flat-out reminded him of the math book incident and he said it had been bothering him for years, and apologized. And the former friend who sublet my apartment for a summer when we were young and ran up $500 in phone bills calling her Finnish boyfriend in Finland, then disappeared without paying, apologized BEFORE adding me. And I apologized for sending the bill to her father and probably landing her in a world of shit ... good times, good times.

Facebook is the awesome.

Posted by TrudyJ at February 23, 2009 4:42 PM

I am on Facebook, but I am Top Secret! I am a lurker, and my son and one of his friends can see me and that's all. I can see my ex, but he can't see me! I am the Harriet the Spy of Facebook. Because I spend acres of time reading blogs and pretending I write one, and Twittering my life so I can't be friending and playing word games too when my employer is paying me perfectly good money to write for him. But more importantly, my high school boyfriend and his twin brother can't find me!

Posted by Karen at February 23, 2009 5:09 PM

Ah, but Tulip, you got Scott. DanTomJohn Bosco's loss. Spend not one more minute sickening your sweet play-doh stomach with this. Besides, you pretty much called all Irish folks alcoholics, and then identified yourself as one of them. Surely that's worse, and yet, as a fellow Irish-bog-person, I say: CHEERS!

John clearly needed to get a life. You should look him up on Facebook, see if he found one! ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at February 23, 2009 9:06 PM

Bosso. Rob Bosso. I think we all swooned in those days. :)

Posted by Barbie at February 23, 2009 10:06 PM

Facebook was discussed in detail when I went to Hollis' writing seminar in Atlanta last summer. And you talked about your Facey garden-that-wouldn't-die (kinda creepy). I am alternately fascinated and terrified. So far I am losing the war on terror. Then again, I have certainly managed to avoid the whole MySpace debacle/drama; I have a page that I could not possibly pay less attention to now that the one blogger I read on MySpace has stopped blogging there. Which was the only and entire reason I started a page.
Also, how many kids from West End Christian could possibly be on Facebook?
Wait, I may not want to know the answer to that question...

Posted by Elena at February 23, 2009 10:59 PM

I've been flip-flopping on joining Facebook because I just want to check everyone ELSE out, I don't want anyone checking me! And it's another time-suck, of course.

I also don't see the racism. In fact, I see it as kind of a compliment to be able to handle all those spicy foods, as it implies that you're tough. That John, what a cry-baby.

Posted by Brigitte at February 24, 2009 5:28 AM

ok, you lost me on the "greek food is spicy" part ... didn't they invent yogurt?

Posted by Patti at February 24, 2009 9:29 AM

I, one day, in a very, very loud voice, announced to my entire history class how LAME I thought my dad's name was. . .and said it. . .TOTALLY forgetting that there was a student with the same name sitting RIGHT THERE in class. I have this name thing--I have a wonderful friend named Tony, and I am married to a man named Tony. . .but they might as well have different names 'cause they are not the SAME Tony. See? So, I embarrassed him no end, and I feel just horrible to this very day about it--22 years later.

Posted by Roxanne at February 24, 2009 9:35 AM

The 'sick pit feeling' and the expense of therapy...
THAT IS why I try very hard not to facebook..
***shudder***

Posted by Traci in GA at February 24, 2009 10:42 AM

i switched high schools literally the night before my junior year began, and from graduation until i joined FB i had pretty much dissappeared. now i get a friend request from people i don't remember almost weekly. i wonder if i hadn't been class clown . . .

oddly enough i had a MySpace page for at least two years prior and never "met" anyone from high school there.

Posted by debra at February 24, 2009 11:30 AM

Why is saying a group of people likes spicy food and has strong stomachs an insult? I think he was just a typical oversensitive teenager, jumping at the chance to feel injured. You know, put on airs and get some sympathy from his friends. Your comment was just the excuse.

Posted by Holly at February 24, 2009 11:59 AM

I think you missed the opening he was handing you. You should have started asking him if he could eat anything, then wondered aloud if an Irish girl with a playdoh tummy married a Greek boy with an iron tummy, would their kids have hard but flexible tummies?

But it probably worked out for the best. Who wants to spend a life with a guy with fabulous hair?

Posted by Jo at February 24, 2009 1:46 PM

I'm stuck on your first sentence! CHORUS trip? Chorus trip? You were in the CHORUS? You have led us to believe you can't carry a tune in a paper bag. And now we find out you were not only in the chorus but in a fancy kind of chorus that goes on TRIPS! What gives? Me thinks perhaps you do sing after all. Either that or you were the piano accompanist. Or the page turner for the accompanist and sat there all prim and proper on the piano bench.

Posted by JeanEva at February 24, 2009 6:23 PM

And while we're on the subject, I have never been fully convinced that you DON'T LIKE SONGS, and this post only un-convinces me more. Because, not only were you a major Indigo Girls fan, and they are the song-iest group I can possibly think of, but now you reveal that you used up precious otherwise-German-learning brain cells learning the lyrics to a Cure song that I don't even know. And I LOVE songs.

And, yeah, you were in the chorus?? Hold up, here. I think you are a secret song lover.

Posted by elswhere at February 25, 2009 12:36 AM