Comments: The Last of the WRITER'S FAQ

Okay m'dear - go reread that last sentence in the second to last paragraph. Quick, before anyone else reads this post. (Obviously being the first to comment proves I'm the first and only reader!) And then you can delete me here and no one will be the wiser. I've got your back.

(Oh, and I'm really loving this FAQ stuff!)

Posted by Laume at January 25, 2009 3:53 PM

Laume is funny.

Posted by pam at January 25, 2009 4:11 PM

"It took me 175 + query letters..."

Thanks for that. All published authors need to cop to that reality.

Posted by Sabra at January 25, 2009 4:29 PM

Good, solid advice, Miss J. Even if it might not be what many aspiring authors want to hear.

Keep plugging away!

True, dat!

Posted by Lulu at January 25, 2009 5:02 PM

175+ query letters sounds daunting, but knowing what it takes is valuable from this side.

I loved this post. Thanks.

Posted by Lisa Milton at January 25, 2009 6:38 PM

Sometimes I get discouraged because it's freakin' hard. But it's so good to know that sometimes you have to write a book or two before you publish a third or fourth or gagillionith.

Thanks for keeping it real, yo.

Posted by nik at January 26, 2009 2:17 AM

Good advice! For me pursuing a "writing career" has been quite a ride. When I came to the realization that the word "career" didn't fit in with what I was trying to accomplish, I relaxed and began to write. Doors have been opening ever since, but not without plenty of angst.

I love that you're honest and tell others that you wrote two novels before you got it right! We have to write crap to get to the bone. Not to say your first two books were crap, but my first novel was. I remember the day I put it away in the bottom of a trunk and buried in the back yard. I've learned and I am still learning my art by stringing words into sentences each day. Jennifer Gilmore, author of Golden Country, says a writer should touch his or her book everyday. She doesn't mean physically ;).

I'm glad I stopped in today. Wonderful answers.

Ann

Posted by ann at January 26, 2009 9:39 AM

Thank you for posting this. I know this already - or, well, have heard/read it a bunch of times - but it helps so much to read it again, especially since I'm just about to start submitting.

It sounds like this is the last of the FAQ, but if not, what's your writing schedule like, and what was your path to publication like? You know, beyond the little bit addressed in this post.

Posted by Caryn Caldwell at January 26, 2009 1:39 PM

I really enjoyed this post and found it very helpful. Thank you for the straightforward information.

-FringeGirl

Posted by thedomesticfringe at January 27, 2009 7:40 PM

On your third novel...
Whow and hmmm. Just sent my second to an agent but I hope it doesn't take three to get lucky.
Anyway, nice words of advice

Posted by alex keto at January 27, 2009 10:01 PM