Comments: Happy Inauguration Day!

People so rarely appreciate how much better something can be made, simply by being orange. As for the snow, perhaps it is just a divine affirmation of your decision to hole up on North Carolina in the first place.

Posted by Dani at January 20, 2009 9:52 AM

North Carolina - like heaven. The mountains are so old up there - they're like old women hunched down with secrets and folded over from life. I love the mountains in Western North Carolina. It's like a secret retreat. When I get a million dollars, I am going to buy a house up there. Sometimes when I am up near Boone, my cell service sucks! I love it! My youngest son went to school up there and I have been traveling the backwoods and roads since. Next fall we are planning a wedding up in Boone for him. It is not unheard to have snow in mid October, which is why I am pushing for an early October wedding.

Go Onstar! But don't loose the thrill of getting lost. Did that once in Ireland. Spent one of my very best days!
Gin

Posted by gin at January 20, 2009 10:26 AM

I see there are no volunteers for your Donner party! If you can get a bowl of crud-free snow, you could mix it with sugar or honey, and some milk or cream, and call it icecream. Survival food! I just had some, but we have about 8 inches of crud-free snow at the moment, so it's a bit easier.

Posted by Brigitte at January 20, 2009 10:39 AM

Snowed in with no PATHWORDS? Quelle horreur! I wonder if your laptop will let you play Bookworm on Yahoo? It's similar, except it has levels and FIRE and if you can't use the flaming tiles before you reach the bottom you will burn the library down. Very dramatic, indeed.

Posted by Aimee at January 20, 2009 10:59 AM

Okay. . .as I was spewing diet Coke all over the monitor while reading your initial ONstar wish blog I was wondering "How in the world did I miss this?" Then I checked the date. I was two years away from blogging, and while you were wishing for ONstar, I was wishing to have a computer in my actual house. And you are hilarious.

Yes. The snow. It will kill you if you go out into it, so says a fellow southerner. SO stay warm and cozy and keep The Good Cat alive and continue writing these lovely bloglets for us.

Posted by Roxanne at January 20, 2009 11:35 AM

Re:Donnor Party - I believe you mentioned that only two of the three cats in that house were good.

Re: Snow Driving - First, don't drive. Second, if you DO drive (foolish woman) when your car slides sideways, turn the steering wheel in the direction of the slide.

That is all.

Posted by Mr. Husband at January 20, 2009 11:37 AM

I am convinced (by your own assertions) that whenever you are READY to leave your retreat... OnSTAR and the legions at your service can clear up this little snow issue that you are having... : )

Posted by bowdawg at January 20, 2009 1:47 PM

Speaking of audiobooks, do you have any new ones to recommend (aside from your books, which I already own)?

Posted by Jayne at January 20, 2009 3:12 PM

I worked at OnStar for a few years. It truly IS an amazing product. The most memorable call I had was when a man called in because his 99 yr old father with Alzheimer's had wandered outside and taken his car. I was able to locate his vehicle, talk with police and eventually had to set off the alert (which honks the horn) so they could find the car. It turned out his father had driven off the road into a cornfield, hit his head on the steering wheel and was unconscious. It was 30 degrees outside and late at night. If that man hadn't had OnStar who knows what would have happened to his dad. I cried when they found him. I went home from work that night with probably the most job satisfaction I have EVER had.

On the flip side, people can be REALLY rude - ESPECIALLY when lost - so it can also be amazingly stressful. I will say this though, whenever people were like you and just loved the service it was always a fun call to take. We LOVED talking to giddy people! So press that button to your heart's content, Joss!

Posted by Pandora at January 20, 2009 3:43 PM

Surely the nice people at ONStar can direct you to some lost, meaty hikers to Donnor Party on, if necessary?...

Posted by RuthWells at January 20, 2009 4:55 PM

Wow! We drive like that in snow here in Maine! and we have 3 feet of the Evil Stuff right now.

Seriously -- just because you have experience with it doesn't mean you know what to do with it.

And that applies to more than one topic in life, if you get my drift, ha ha.

Posted by firefly at January 20, 2009 6:17 PM

Okay, I never comment on this blog even though I check it DAILY while waiting for your next book, but I live here in North Carolina and YAY SNOW! It gave me an excuse to miss the first day of classes and stay in my room to watch the inauguration (never mind that my excuse was "driving conditions" and I live on campus). Enjoy the mountains - you may not be one of those "beautiful scenery" people, but there are lots of cute little animals and you'll be able to see their footprints in the snow!

PS: Please don't go off the side of a mountain. We readers would miss you terribly!

Posted by Dani at January 20, 2009 8:05 PM

Joss, you are funny and awesome and so are your readers. I am so amused right now :D

Posted by Heather at January 20, 2009 9:04 PM

I want ONstar, too because they sound so nice. The people at my bank are the NICEST on the phone people ever. Sometimes I call just to chat. I bet ONstar would let you just chat with them. You know if you were driving late at night and felt like you were going to fall asleep at the wheel, you could probably call them and talk about your day and fingernail polish or if your daring the current political situation.

Posted by Nik at January 21, 2009 1:33 AM

I love ONstar. We don't use it very often, but we are happy to pay for the monthly service just in case.

As long as you have them free for a few weeks, maybe you could use them to do fact checking and stuff for you. Wonder what they would do if you called and asked what year *69 was invented or, even better, you could try to convince them to calculate your mental illness number for you everyday! Fun!

Posted by Jill W. at January 21, 2009 11:08 AM

wait. don't you have four cats there? unless they eat you first...

Posted by babelbabe at January 21, 2009 12:17 PM

Re: OnStar, I don't have it but a good friend does, and get this--he negotiates the price with them. Every year when it comes up for renewal he says he has negotiated the price down for it and has never paid more. If you call them in order to buy, hem and haw and ask for a deal. Just trying to save your plasma!

Posted by Karen at January 22, 2009 12:32 PM

I have permanent scars in both inner elbows from plasma donation back when I was a young, broke single mom...I wonder what I'ma do now as an old broke single mom?
Perhaps send in the patent on the Scott Simulator....hee!

Posted by Elena at January 22, 2009 3:20 PM

Not exactly related to this specific post, but I love your blog! Obviously I love your books so I started reading your blog. And as a Southerner who has been away from the South for 2 1/2 years you writing makes me feel like I'm home. My darling husband moved me to Boston and then to Baltimore and hopefully soon we'll be back in God's country. Until then I'll just keep reading your blog and laughing out loud in my office (not good considering that I do psychological research!). I hope you have a fantastic weekend and be careful in all that snow!

Posted by Jenn at January 23, 2009 11:28 AM

This Chicago chick did NOT fall off her chair laughing at you fretting over an inch of snow. I bruised my butt when I wiped out on the wet floor running into the movie theater (yes, right in front of the "caution, wet floor" sign).

And I'm with you, I don't drive in snow, either. Only the crazies are out there. Let them smash into each other, leave more room for the rest of us when it thaws.

Posted by Patti at January 25, 2009 9:43 PM