Comments: Hey, LOOK! More FAQ Happened (part 2)

This is very good advice that works for screenwriting too -- just substitute "production" for "publishing" and you're all set. I know someone who's a VERY green writer who keeps talking about production, and I just want to take her by the shoulders and shake her and yell, "Nobody is going to produce a script until you learn how to WRITE one!"

Posted by Aimee at January 14, 2009 11:25 AM

And I love the press hype of the "first-time novelist" who has a best seller with her "first book." She also has corpses of previous novels (written with training wheels on, so to speak) under the bed, or in the bottom drawer, or somewhere. As if it's just the first Published novel that somehow makes them a first-time novelist? No. But it makes for a sensational press release.

Posted by Lulu at January 14, 2009 2:04 PM

I'm not a writer...yet, but I'd sure like to be one. Thanks for the great advice. Honestly the idea of writing two novels for practice is daunting, but I can use all the help I can get.
-FringeGirl

Posted by the doemstic fringe at January 14, 2009 5:28 PM

I think "that can be pursued in your pyjamas" was my favourite part right there ;) I have considered writing a book but haven't got around to it yet. I am 25 so figure I need a bigger dose of life experience before I give it a real honest try.

Posted by Heather at January 14, 2009 9:19 PM

Thanks for your tips!

Posted by Nik at January 15, 2009 4:10 AM

But of course I have a question. Um. How do you find your pack? I've been all over the internet and can't seem to find that magical group of people who are that level. Not that I think I'm great, but I do feel I've outgrown my group and need a new one. :\

Posted by Jess at January 15, 2009 9:35 AM

You can save yourself a lot of stress and hassle, thereby keeping your mental illness number a tad lower, by just sending that bucket o' prizes to me right now. Just sayin'. ;-)

Posted by Brigitte at January 15, 2009 9:46 AM

I'm not a writer, but I think your comment "Conferences help you practice the Fine Art of Not Looking Squirrelly" is sage advice for anyone. And also getting a bucket for The Crazy (my mom gives me that advice about dating "keep crazy in the bottle").

You are a master at giving excellent advice while making us laugh so hard we snort beverages out of our noses.

Posted by JenniferG at January 15, 2009 9:56 AM

Thanks for the FAQ post Joshilyn. It was so funny -- does it count if you snort espresso through your nose?
I am 2 chapters into my first novel and having so much fun I can hardly sleep at night. I haven't found a compatible writing group yet so I go to the Evil Editor blog site each day and participate in the writing exercises and critiques. The contributors are a fun group and the blog itself is inventive and well run. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to stay in their pajamas not only to write but to hang out with their writing group as well.

Posted by RW Glover at January 16, 2009 1:56 PM

Jess - I found my pack when we self-selected each other in an otherwise worthless writing class. Other places to find them would be conferences and national or local writer's guilds/societies (the choice of which will depend on your chosen genre). Get out there among groups of writers, and you'll find your packmates in there somewhere.

Posted by S at January 16, 2009 4:11 PM

Despite laughing hard, I recognized all the wisdom in your advice and have posted a link to it on my blog. I hope you don't mind

cheers
Melinda

Posted by Melinda at January 16, 2009 8:58 PM

This. Is. Brilliant. Thank you.

To anyone wondering: It's All True!!!

Posted by Dawn at January 17, 2009 6:19 PM