Comments: Happy O CRAP I JUST WROTE 2008 ON MY CHECK Day

We got the keys to our brand new (beautiful, glorious) house, then went to eat Tex-Mex, then drove (something we've not done on New Year's Eve in about 10 years)to our current home and got to see everyone else's fireworks from the freeway after which I RAN to Target to buy decorations for a baby shower that I am helping to host on Sunday while hubby took kiddos to get a few fireworks. Our 7 year old was determined to stay up until midnight and he did, he did, oh yes, he did. The 10 year old and I fell asleep, but I woke up to go outside and watch the boy wonder over the celebrations booming in the sky. His feet were bare and cold, so his Daddy picked him up, and standing in my driveway watching the man I love holding the boy I love--legs dangling down the front of his Daddy--I was overcome with all manner of joy as I welcomed 2009 to my door.

And you should have told Concerned Liquor Store Lady that you were headed home to an entire BEVY of IMAGINARY friends (who have a penchant for crimes involving firearms) all of your own creation.

Posted by Roxanne at January 1, 2009 3:40 PM

I, on the other hand, owe a big New Year's Eve "thank you" to YOU, Joshilyn Jackson, oh yes I do! Yesterday I received a just-slightly-late Christmas present that delights my soul. My sister (who loves me WAY more than I deserve) entrusted me with her perfect little fox-girl figure from Between, Georgia (which she has from her long tenure working at the fabulous Athena Bookstore, may it rest in peace). Why, you may well ask, would she part with such a thing? Well, partly to save me from going to straight to perdition ("Thou shalt not covet thy sister's fox-girl figure"), and partly in celebration of the fact that I have given a cutting from "Between, Georgia" to one of my best Speech Team girls to perform, this season, and it has taken 1st place BOTH times it has competed, boo-YAH! (I'll let you speculate as to which scene it is.) So cheers to you, Champer Girl, and may you have a faabulous 2009!

Posted by JMyersbook at January 1, 2009 4:46 PM

Well those weren't very commiseratory! They had a great time.

If it makes you feel better, on the first New Year's Eve that neither my husband nor I had to work, he fell asleep on the couch while I drank alone and chatted with coworkers on facebook. I woke him at midnight for a kiss, so there was that but otherwise, pretty derned pathetic was my big welcome of 2009.

I do look forward to the book (not just the end) so at least we will both have some prize for our sad celebrations.

Posted by Em at January 1, 2009 5:22 PM

I spent most of the day of New Year's Eve reading TGWSS like one hypnotized but had to STOP HALFWAY THROUGH (!!!) as our guests were arriving. So I spent the majority of New Year's Eve evening with half my mind in your book, and desperately wishing my guests would LEAVE so I could finish it. Which I finally got to do this afternoon after I finally got up and recovered enough (from being sober the night before, even) to pry my eyes open. It was a highly satisfying read, I must say. Can't wait for the next one. You get better and better.

Posted by lizardek at January 1, 2009 5:43 PM

We were with you in spirit.

And I'll bet the liquor store lady thought of you at midnight ...

:-)

Posted by Lisa at January 1, 2009 6:29 PM

My poor husband had to work, and for him working entails getting up at 4 AM...so I had a hard time keeping him awake until midnight. ;)

I skipped the champers this year in a misguided (and wholly unsuccessful) attempt to avoid another migraine, but I DID manage to get a New Year's kiss from my very best Beloved at midnight. We stayed in, as always. I don't believe in driving on the one night of the year when all of the practice drunks are on the road! lol

I don't do resolutions.

Happy New Year, Joshilyn! May the year be kind to you, and may it bring us all another of your stellar novels. :)

Posted by Kim at January 1, 2009 6:47 PM

I've done New Years Eve alone, and it wasn't half bad, actually. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with sleeping as a way to greet the New Year, especially for one who has terminal insomnia. It must've been a nice change.

No resolutions here, but a deep and abiding joy and gratitude for all the many gifts I will receive from the universe this year.

Including the sure and certain knowledge that there's a new Joshilyn Jackson book coming out!

And maybe another tour. . .? So I'll have yet another Joss picture for my year-end blog next year?

Hey, a girl's gotta dream!

Posted by Fran at January 1, 2009 6:49 PM

12:00 am, standing in the Five Points MARTA station stone-cold sober cause they stop selling booze at the Georgia Dome at the end of half time instead of the end of the 3rd quarter (like they do in DC, I think) might beat you. But my family was all together and LSU won their bowl game, so we were pretty happy!

Posted by dynagirl at January 1, 2009 7:51 PM

On the bright side, you did fall asleep, that's good, right? I made hummus, watched TV and tried to comfort my dogs against the horror of the neighborhood fireworks. Comfort didn't come easily to them and they wouldn't let me go to sleep until the fireworks stopped.

Posted by LaurieB at January 1, 2009 9:19 PM

hmmm, after having worked and knowing that I would have to work today I nodded out at 11:30 to be awoken at midnight to the firecracking revelers in the street. They were joyous, I rolled over and went back to sleep. Seriously, I need to rethink my priorities.

But...

I do make resolutions, but I’ve scaled back from the grandios “shrink my zipcode size butt to one block” dieting for life resolutions to the livable type resolutions. Ergo I resolve to be more positive, upbeat, and less sensible. Plus I’m doing the two I boffed last year… Some you win, some you lose.

To a better and happy 2009 for all

Posted by Cele at January 1, 2009 10:55 PM

Well, I got to spend New Years Eve in a Lexington KY hospital room with my mama, who has just been diagnosed with stage 3 Cervical cancer, watching the Twilight Zone marathon(our yearly ritual) on SciFi. Mama dozed, but I woke her up about 2 minutes to midnight so we could watch Dick Clark count down. I gave her a kiss and hug, while silently praying that she and I have many more TZ filled New Year marathons to watch.

Posted by Heather P. at January 2, 2009 2:40 AM

JMyersbook,

I love, love that you're using Between, Georgia in Forensics. I haven't read fiction for its competition value in a long time! Your comment brought back happy memories - thank you.

Posted by Catherine at January 2, 2009 9:22 AM

No resolutions here - I plan to ENJOY 2009!!! As for my celebration? My usual (except 1999), I go to bed early, wake up shortly after midnight and say Happy New Year and back to sleep. Works for me. :)

I'm sorry you missed the Florida trip, but happy happy happy that it's for the reason it was. Can't wait to read it! Happy New Year to you, Joshilyn.

Posted by Deborah P at January 2, 2009 10:25 AM

Happy New Year! I spent the evening home with my husband and my cats. We managed to last until midnight (BARELY) and skipped the champagne and had coffee instead (to stay awake, don'cha know?) At midnight people set off firecrackers which terrified the cats. So we told them it was okay and that they're pretty, and then we went to bed. Wicked exciting.

Resolutions? Yes, indeedy. The main one is to do everything we (my husband and I) can do to get our feature film that's in pre-production into production. The director's going to start meeting with investors this month. We have one actor attached. I hate marketing myself, but we have pledged to marked the HECK out of ourselves this year.

Posted by Aimee at January 2, 2009 10:40 AM

My New Years Eve consisted of working until 11:00 pm(I work at a restaurant/dinner theater), then going home and reading until 2:30 am (The Time Travelers Wife), then waking up with shiny pink puffy eyelids from crying through the end of the book. Sobbing. My cat was concerned enough to jump up and pat my face, then shake the tears off her paw.

Posted by Sandi at January 2, 2009 11:11 AM

Hubby and I fell asleep, he early, me at 11:45. Resolution: close all accounts at Sovereign and find a decent bank.

Posted by parrotzmom at January 2, 2009 1:09 PM

Not JUST the huge, sorrowing eyes but the "Oh, Honey"? That's Rime of the Ancient Mariner-calibur pity!

Happy New Year and Happy (or not) Book Ending!

Posted by CityGirl at January 2, 2009 9:17 PM

Well, I'm sorry you got blasted with pity eyes, her story for you was not very interesting :( On the other hand, I was scheduled to work until 11 pm on New Years, and then *volunteered* to stay an additional five hours, so everyone else could go home or whatnot. I got a combination of grateful thanks and are-you-crazy? looks. But at least no cannibals or arrests.
I resolve to write the novel I barely began in NaNo and had to abandon to medical issues, but cannot get out of my head.

Posted by Renee at January 2, 2009 9:47 PM

I got pwned by 6-year-olds playing Disney Sing-It, till 2am (no more daring them to stay up all night!). DH worked so, again, the 6yo filled in for a New Year's Hug.

Resolutions? I'm celebrating Chinese New Year from now on!

Posted by Patti at January 2, 2009 11:13 PM

I have resolved to do things I KNOW I can accomplish. I Will get up every morning. I will put on clothes. I will eat, so's not to die. I will drink at least one pepsi each day. I will change some baby diapers. I will cook dinner or find dinner. I know it's a long list, but I gonna do it THIS year! I think it will be a can't fail year for me.

Posted by Desi at January 3, 2009 5:12 PM

Funny story! Sorry you were alone on New Years, but it doesn't sound like you minded. Glad you got a good night's sleep anyway.
Happy New Year!
-FringeGirl

Posted by FringeGirl at January 3, 2009 9:10 PM

Disappointed, (but not surprised), to see you are still struggling with that drinking problem. (Hah!)

And we both know this particular Eve is not near as low, (or high?) as you can get. Coulda been the bar on the 14th floor of a New York hotel. Of all the gin joints...

Posted by bob at January 6, 2009 9:37 PM