Comments: In Pursuit of Natural Sleep

Loved the Marquis de Sade/prancing meadow/unicorn/sleep comparison. I hope you sleep well tonight with Scott now back home to make up for all that.

Posted by Trace at December 9, 2008 9:03 AM

I have never met this elusive natural sleep. Right now I'm going on day 2 with 2 hours of sleep and I have to write an exam in two and a half hours, followed by a drive drive up and down a snowy mountainside to the Coast. Hurrah.

Posted by Heather at December 9, 2008 9:22 AM

Tylenol PM x 2 = sleep

Posted by jean at December 9, 2008 10:45 AM

Unless you are me. In which case Tylenol PM x2 = hyperactivity OR dead sleep for 6 hours and groggy uselessness for another 48.

I have weird brain chemistry....

Posted by Joshilyn at December 9, 2008 10:47 AM

I know other people with that Tylenol PM problem which is why I haven't tried it. But I would LOVE to hear the rest of this story... Though I have found that on days when I go to the GYM I tend to sleep somewhat better than days when I don't. And bless you, 45 minutes on an elliptical?! I just got myself up to 20. I claim asthma.

Posted by Jess at December 9, 2008 11:30 AM

Joshilyn, I'm so with you on the Tylenol PM. I can't take it either. I take Benadryl, and it serves the dual purpose of keeping my allergy-assailed nose clear AND knocking me out. There are nights when it doesn't work, but usually it does.

Posted by Aimee at December 9, 2008 11:46 AM

Sleepytime Extra tea? The extra is valerian.

Aimee, the PM in Tylenol PM is benadryl. Diphenhydramine. Check it out!

Posted by jenn at December 9, 2008 1:38 PM

I know what you mean about needing husbands home. While I don't have children to make things harder, I have no children, but I know things just aren't right when he's gone. My husband got back recently from a 15 month deployment to Afghanistan and man, it was so good when he came home.

Posted by Nik at December 9, 2008 3:42 PM

Joshilyn YOU MUST look for CD's by Dr. Jeffery Thompson. You can find them at Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and The Relaxation Company.
The best CD is Delta Dream Soulution. He does tones to guide the brain into the deep stages of sleep naturally. The tones are under ocean waves, rain, classical music, etc. The CD's ARE A GODSEND to me. I have a head injury that keeps my brain from naturally going into the deep sleep stages. I have been on every kind of pill imaginable to try to sleep, even the Belladonna, Ambien, Amitryptaline, Melatonin, Valerian, Kava Kava. Nothing worked until I found these CD's. I will warn you if you get one of the CD's, the first night you use it you will feel odd for lack of a better term the next day. You will feel like your brain stayed awake while your body rested. Don't let that bother you, just keep using the CD. Thompson designed these tapes when he and his wife were having trouble getting their infant son to sleep. They are safe even for the elderly and the pregnant. They are not safe to listen to in your car however. ;-)
You really should try it. Good luck!

Posted by Heather P. at December 9, 2008 9:06 PM

I recently read something about the horrors of soldiers operating on under 6 hours or somesuch of sleep in 72 hours. And I thought "And this is unusual HOW?"
I also once read somewhere that our 7 or 8 hours are supposed to be UNBROKEN sleep. If that's true, I've never had a good night's sleep in my entire life. I hope they were lying. Though it might explain a few things about me.

Posted by Brigitte at December 10, 2008 6:55 AM

What Jenn said -- Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime EXTRA.

But I think your real problem is that you are able to do pushups. Must be inversely related to the ability to sleep. I'm resolved to stick to the program at 100 Pushups, but cannot, cannot do even one girlygirl pushup. I'm doing the whole sequence against a door (how feeble is that?) in the hope of working up to one girlygirl. Maybe two before I die. Even yoga doesn't work if you're hoping bingo wings will support you.

But sleep? With CSSE? Yeah, baby.

Posted by rams at December 10, 2008 8:48 AM