Comments: The Upsidedown Unthankful Meme

Boggart will get better in time, he really will, and I know this because he IS a secret snuggler, like our Geordie, who's still batcrap crazy but after three years is finally beginning to cuddle. And leave fuzzy mice on the bed for us. He started out as a stealth snuggler too.

My thankfulness meme? Are you sure you want to know? I'm going with what you said, the thorn that rubs and try to find thankfulness in it.

Okay.

Our older dog passed away Sunday very early in the morning. It was fast and unexpected and I'm devastated.

So. I'm thankful for all the support we've had, all the lovely wishes from people who knew him, and thankful that he was in our lives at all. I'm thankful I was there petting him when he took his last gasping breath.

But darn. I wish I didn't have to be thankful for this right now, y'know?

Posted by Fran at November 25, 2008 10:52 PM

Well, to stick with the pet theme, I will say, as tastefully as possible, that if my 5 month old puppy refuses to train one way or the other, I am thankful that firstly, she mostly chooses to not be trained on the hardwood floor which is easier to clean. Secondly, and this one is a stretch, I am thankful that it is #2 she has a difficult time remembering not to do inside. The reason this is good (in comparison) is that it is easier to clean up and once I have scrubbed the life out of the floor or carpet, I don't have the awful feeling that underneath it has seeped like tree roots out out out across the room where it will make my house stinky forever. It is what it is and once "it" is in the trash and the floor underneath cleaned, I feel like the matter is behind us.

Posted by Em at November 25, 2008 11:02 PM

I take awhile here to get to the point, but hey. So did you;)

Posted by Ray at November 26, 2008 8:59 AM

Ha! Boggart is a secret snuggler, and now the internets know ALL about it.

Okay, what thorns in my side can I be grateful for? How about this: My boss is kind of a pain in the bue-tox a lot of the time. He's one of these loud blustery people. There are days when he just talks and TALKS and talks to the point where even I -- and I am a talker, I assure you --just want to throw up my hands and scream "STOP THE WORDS! STOP THEM! SILENCE! IS! GOLDEN!" But I do not, because he's my boss. And he's stubborn as all get-out, he absolutely has to be right, and so on. But I can be thankful for this person who TALKS and BLATHERS and BLUSTERS and IRRITATES... because of one thing. When a client goes insane (which our clients often do, especially in these difficult economic times) he has GOT MY BACK. The nattering? It bugs. But it's a small price to pay for working for someone who isn't a back stabber.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posted by Aimee at November 26, 2008 10:33 AM

Probably not right according to the "rules" but, I am going where I wish I were not for Thanksgiving. So I am grateful for earplugs.

Posted by Elizabeth J at November 26, 2008 11:27 AM

Mostly, I'm really grateful for all the usual, and fortunately, even though things are kind of rocky -- I'm weathering through them pretty well. Plus, a very big recent worry for me looks like there might be a very happy resolution.
So this is kind of a stretch. But I'm happy to be hosting Thanksgiving and doing 99.44/100 of the cleaning and 99.44/100 of the cooking, because it means I will not be driving 8 hours in the next three days, and my house is cleaner than it has been in weeks, and I get to have 99.44/100 control of the menu. :) Plus, bonus, I get to have almost everyone come to me.

Posted by JulieB at November 26, 2008 11:12 PM

Well, I think, given the state of the climate and our economy, that it is really stupid that gas has fallen to the level where people can and will drive a lot again, but -

I have driven 15 hours to get here and will drive 15 hours back on Saturday and Sunday, so I'm grateful that gas is not (at the moment) $4 per gallon. It ranged from $1.629 in Western Ohio to $2.599 in Western NY.

And then I'll go back to not driving anywhere.

On a similar note, I'm grateful that, despite my pet hair allergies, I was able to enjoy spending the night with my friend with two cats when I stopped on the way.

Posted by Diane (TT) at November 27, 2008 12:33 PM

I did it too.

Posted by Stephanie at November 29, 2008 10:08 AM

I am grateful for the ants which plague our kitchen, because they are teaching us to be better housekeepers. That's a lesson we've been needing for quite some time, and it's actually satisfying to sweep the floors every evening, wash dishes immediately, give the counters more than just a passing wipe with a rag, etc. The ants are a relentless and exacting teacher, but I am grateful they are here, and also extremely grateful that it's not something worse, like mice or roaches, teaching me this lesson.

Posted by Holly at November 29, 2008 6:09 PM