Comments: Stupid Van Tricks

Up on the housetop

Old St. Nick.

(for your repetoir.)

Posted by rams at November 23, 2008 7:34 PM

Maisy is awesome.
That is all.

Posted by ellbee at November 23, 2008 8:06 PM

So sorry but now I am forced to hate you. And I really hate that because I think you are so funny and cute and smart and intertaining! But you see I have rules and you broke the rules by Christmas shopping early. I believe that you can only have one holiday at a time. And it is against the rules to even think about the next holiday until after the present one is past. So as Thanksgiving is still a few days away it is totally unacceptable to be thinking about Christmas. Thanksgiving really does deserve to have its own time. Now that you know what the rules are I sure you can find a few cheery Thanksgiving songs to sing off key - okay.

Posted by Catherine at November 23, 2008 8:32 PM

You reminded me of years ago, we were driving around exploring the forested back roads, and came across a bus, half-hidden in the overgrowth. It had some faded fancy paint job on it and said "The Mountaineering Family".

Apparently THEY tried to make a go of it and failed, perhaps their skeletons were even THEN moldering away on that bus. DON'T DO IT!

Posted by Brigitte at November 24, 2008 6:51 AM

You could be the "Trapped (in the) Van Family"!!!

Posted by Beth at November 24, 2008 8:48 AM

Wait, what? *Finished* Christmas shopping? Don't make me hate you!!

Posted by RuthWells at November 24, 2008 10:04 AM

NO ONE is allowed to hate me!

Scott gets on a plane on Black Friday---yes, he LEAVES ME, the DAY after Thanksgiving and will not be back home until the middle of December---If I do not do it now, it will NOT get done. We are also putting up our TREE TODAY because I want it up before December 15th and I can't make the lights work or drag a TREE by myself.

I would much rather have Scott in town and do it at the PROPER time, but since I am losing my husband for half the month, the correct response is hair petting. ALSO COOKIES. SEND COOKIES

Posted by Joshilyn at November 24, 2008 10:15 AM

After the 2nd period class I just had, I needed that laugh. . .and oh, how I laughed. We have similar plays in our backseat. . .only the eldest is a sister and the youngest in is a brother, so just add bossiness to the list and you've got it.

You slayed me today.

Posted by Roxanne at November 24, 2008 10:41 AM

Beth is brilliant [must have something to do w/her full name ; ) ], "the TRAPPed in the VAN Family"... brilliant.

Reminds me of the scene in A Christmas Story where they "sing" Jingle Bells complete w/a raspberry finish.

Posted by Elizabeth J at November 24, 2008 10:43 AM

So glad to know that Im not the only one whose car tends to get a bit uppity in cold weather. Mine? Doesn't like to illuminate the interior dash lights until it's been properly warmed up. As in 10-15 minutes into my commute. Which isn't a huge deal unless you: 1) live in MN where our average temp is in the 30's these days or 2) go to work when it is still dark. *sigh*

Posted by Tammy at November 24, 2008 1:37 PM

That was cute. I also have ZERO musical ability. It's so sad for my family.

Posted by FringeGirl at November 24, 2008 2:19 PM

I was going to join in with Catherine and say that the boinging was what you got for shopping in NOVEMBER!!

But, perhaps we'll give you a bit of a pass. I suppose you want us to send you a pony too?

Posted by Nelson's Mama at November 24, 2008 3:28 PM

I keep checking back to see if you are going to mention Fat Potato Fat Fat. It wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it.

Posted by Roxanne at November 25, 2008 9:39 AM

It is a good thing I was not in The Hateful Van with you guys because "Away in a Manger" always makes me sob, because I always get this big flashback to when I was four and going to a Waldorf preschool outside Honolulu and we had this candlelight Christmas assembly with each of us little kids holding a taper and a very skinny Father Christmas in fur trimmed red robes (where they found him on Oahu remains a complete mystery)--where they gave us each an orange and a walnut (in shell) painted gold, that I still have and use as an ornament every year--all of which is for some reason very Sad and Poignant Unto the Point of Weeping.

So I would have been snorking and asking for Kleenex as a counterpoint to the offkeyness.

Posted by Cornelia Read at November 25, 2008 11:55 AM

Cookies?? Did someone say cookies?? I just mailed off a dozen fresh, luscious muffins to another friend in need, and since my husband is also skating out Friday to be gone for many days, we NEED MORE COOKIES here too!!

I'm feeling a baking binge coming on... (I did clear space in the big freezer this morning, and found I'd been hoarding chocolate chips. It must be a sign.)

And oh, good job on the Christmas shopping! How are your Christmas cards coming along??

Posted by Lulu at November 25, 2008 7:18 PM

The Van Trapp Family - in a Van. Oh, my, that is sooooo bad. That qualifies as one of my hubby's horrific puns! Although can we go just a step farther into groandom and call you guys The Van Trip Singers?

Posted by Laume at November 25, 2008 10:26 PM

Useless trivia time! Did you know the von Trapps moved to Vermont and opened a lodge in Stowe? It's still owned by their descendents. So, instead of dead, you could be living at a ski resort. With personal chefs.

Posted by Laura at November 25, 2008 11:23 PM