Comments: The Genesis of Popular Girls, or A Mental Illness is Born

Ahhh, the popular crowd. I never quite figured how to get in, so I just rolled my eyes about them! So childish! {{eye roll}}

Posted by Lmerie at November 11, 2008 2:30 PM

Way to go! So that's how it's done - perform like a Broadway actress and the popular girls will come flocking.

Posted by Holly at November 11, 2008 2:36 PM

I read that these people mixed beer with friends when you were in GRADE school and thought, "My gosh! No wonder the 68-year old guy hit on her!" Then I put on my reading glasses and discovered my error.

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at November 11, 2008 3:05 PM

Auditioning for friends totally sounds like something I would do. I'm a shy/not shy person, too. It's an odd complex, but you explain it perfectly.

Posted by nik at November 11, 2008 3:40 PM

I'm wearing pink socks RIGHT NOW.

Posted by Kate Setzer Kamphausen at November 11, 2008 5:52 PM

I remember my "ah-hah!" moment about the popular crowd. It was when everyone but me was reading "The Lord of the Rings" and I knew, I just KNEW I wouldn't understand it and they'd all know (as if they didn't already) that I was a Loser.

And then I read it. And got some things out of it that the In Group hadn't gotten.

That's when I realized that half the time they were faking it as much as I was, and if I acted as if I knew what they knew, if I acted as if I was fun and popular, people would think I was.

It even mostly worked.

Posted by Fran at November 11, 2008 11:36 PM

You always can make me laugh when you tell a story.

I bet auditioning works better than hovering on the edges of their conversation and throwing in a sentence or two from out of no where as I have been known to do. :)

So how will you audition for the Presbyterian mommy crowd?

Posted by carrien (she laughs at the days) at November 12, 2008 2:44 AM

True Blood on HBO has me hooked, so if you need a new TV addiction, that's an option. I did a marathon to catch up over the weekend. My husband got me into it, due to everyone having sex. Gotta love HBO & sexy vampires. It's from Alan Ball, who wrote American Beauty & Six Feet Under. Only 2 episodes left & now I'm kicking myself for getting through 10 so quickly. Hope you enjoy it if you check it out.

Posted by Amanda at November 12, 2008 8:04 AM

Perfect. Of course, I just spent 20 minutes reading ACT 2 of Uncle Vanya, thankyouverymuch online-literature.com.
You are too adorable. I thought I was the only wacko who "prepares" for social situations. I've managed to create an exterior that says I am fun and you want to know me when inside I am a ball of nerves and shyness and I already know where the exit is and how many strides it takes to reach it.

Posted by lindasands at November 12, 2008 9:23 AM

Now I'm going to have to go home and watch the Little Mermaid so I can see that wrist twitch because I just can't quiiiite picture it. Which is odd, considering that I have most of that movie memorized (especially "Part of your World" and "Poor Unfortunate Souls" which Caroline makes me sing every night while she pretends to be a mermaid in the bathtub.)

Posted by Leandra at November 12, 2008 9:49 AM

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Popular Girls were hoping that you'd walk over and say "Hello! I'm Joss!" They probably had similar insecurities to yours. The 'audition' just gave them a good excuse to walk over to you.

And, Amanda, if you aren't familiar with the book series True Blood is based on, check out Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. I don't get HBO, but I understand this season is based on her first book in that series (I'm blanking on the name). She has 3 other very good mystery series, the first two of which are being re-issued, and the latest of which has a protagonist who finds dead people (victims of crimes/disappearances). That series now has 3 books, all of which have the word "Grave" in them. I highly recommend all her books!

Posted by Deborah P at November 12, 2008 10:23 AM

First, a big THANK YOU to my friend Tracy who pointed me to this blog. I think she was also the one who suggested "Between" for our book club. We are reading "Gods" currently, and it reminded me of why I am in love with you . . . another Popular Girl crush??

Thanks for the wonderful laugh this morning. Especially with the urban dictionary definition of hermeneutics. It will take a LONG time before THAT image leaves my head! 8^)

Posted by DuckieMom at November 12, 2008 10:42 AM

Dead Until Dark is the first Sookie Stackhouse book!

I looooove those books. Almost as much as Joshilyn Jackson's books. Have you guys read those? ;)

Posted by Erin at November 12, 2008 3:18 PM

Thanks for the book recommendation. I needed something to read! I've been trying to read Sceamfree Parenting & it's just served to make me realize how much I really do scream.
Reading has always been my escape. A guilt trip is not much of a vacation from reality. ;)
Any other great escapes?

Posted by Amanda at November 12, 2008 9:14 PM

Would it make you feel more adult to frame this not as auditioning for friends but as seducing them? 'Cause that's one well-plotted and executed successful seduction. (Unless, you know, the idea of seducing two women in broad daylight in a crowded classroom feels just a little .... errrrrrr...)

Posted by rams at November 13, 2008 10:38 AM

I watch "Life" too! Does that guy remind anyone else of Steve McQueen? Just a bit? Anyone? *crickets*

Posted by Kathy at November 13, 2008 1:09 PM

am excited for Life to come on after Pushing Daisies because PD and Chuck are the only shows i remember to turn my tv on for. and when Life came on Mondays all i had to do was whore around for an hour and then watch it. and now no whoring required so hurrah!!

funny how i can have a delightful conversation with a total stranger in line at the grocery but completely freeze up when it comes to meeting someone i want to make friends with. but good to know i'm in good company between you and the other regulars here. perhaps we can start a support group . . .

or not.

Posted by debra at November 13, 2008 5:15 PM

Ooh, thanks for the True Blood recommendation, Amanda! I'm a huge fan of those books (as well as yours, Josh ;-) ), and knew there were rumors of a series coming out, but didn't know it was already happening!

Posted by Brigitte at November 14, 2008 5:39 AM