Comments: The Popular Girls (Part ½)

Forget election outcomes, the suspense bomb of the night is how you will demonstrate the connection between popular girls and Presbyterianism. In related news, yesterday I pretended I was you and drew a fictional connection between buck bait for sale in a Beauregard gas station and a sorority girl's bridal shower. Do you suppose that means I'm growing as a...uh, um, Southern writer?

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at November 4, 2008 10:36 PM

I'm wearing pink socks, but I assure you I am not remotely popular ;)

Posted by Heather at November 5, 2008 3:44 AM

I totally agree with you about all kinds of jargon, and I am surrounded by more than enough psycho-babble and Christian-babble. My personal screamer right now is "energy," as in "There's a wonderful energy in this room right now." IS THERE? HOW DO YOU KNOW??

Glad you found a good church. I bet you would be one of those cool modern Presbyterians who believes God in His predestined wisdom is going to find a way to save everyone, instead of one of those old John Knoxxy Presbyterians who believe most of humanity is predestined to writhe in the flames of hell and can't do a damned (ha ha pun) thing about it.

Posted by TrudyJ at November 5, 2008 6:07 AM

TrudyJ - The "vibe" of the 60's has turned into today's "energy". It's simply a transition of energy from one state to another. Perfectly plausable if you accept that the "vibe" actually existed in the first place.

Posted by Mr. Husband at November 5, 2008 6:32 AM

Meanwhile I am still without a church and still prone to cheating at Scrabble. I cannot help but feel that some new pink socks and a pocketful of lingo might be useful to me, right now, but I'm not sure, because I'm busy hitting myself in the face. ;)

Posted by Mir at November 5, 2008 8:09 AM

I always liked Stephen King's quote about therapy, (and I paraphrase). "Some people spend thousands on therapy, I write all my fears down and make millions of dollars." I think crazy may be part of your process. Keep up the good "work"!

Posted by Jo at November 5, 2008 8:40 AM

I don't comment often, but today, you hit the jackpot.
1. I do not think that either of my daughters would appreciate being retroactively named Damien, no matter how much I agree with you about the show. And him.
2.Making fun of the group you are in. Here in Canada, we have Newfies, people from Newfoundland, to make fun of. And I think the best Newfie joke is "What is black and blue and floats facedown in the harbour?" "A Come-from-away (also known as as a CFA, or person not from Newfoundland) who makes Newfie jokes."
3. I have discovered a new personal mantra, which I can use when my mother-in-law or a lousy driver are driving ME batcrap - "Something will happen and I will deal with it." It is much kinder and more socially acceptable to finding a nice axe, which is what I used to do. At least in my head. I totally agree with you about prison and not being dead.

Posted by Judy at November 5, 2008 8:45 AM

Y'know, I've been in therapy for over 5 years now (brain chemistry sux!) and I don't think I've ever heard ANY of those phrases. Then again, I'd be fighting my way out the nearest exit if I did, so maybe I just found the right therapist for my cynical attitude :-)

My grandparents were of the John Knoxxy flavor of Presbyterians -- part of why I never got the whole "religion thing" Good luck with your new home!

Posted by Beth at November 5, 2008 9:33 AM

Congratulations on finding the right House of Worship for you. It all comes down to sense of community and like-mindedness, doesn't it.

I too hate jargon. As Benjamin Hoff says in the Tao of Pooh, it's meant to keep others out (you said that too but I plug that book whenever I can).
I also so fear jargon > cliche that I *couldn't* write my Master's thesis b/c of the overuse of the term "empowerment" (yeah, that's why).

My wish for your hike-not-spiritual-quest is Cool Max socks, a copy of Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" (before you set out) and to see live critters of a soft and furry nature (from a safe distance).

Posted by Elizabeth J at November 5, 2008 11:09 AM

Hey Joshilyn -

We Irish really are a feisty bunch, ain't we? My favorits comments (made by either others or myself) are usually snarky ones. :)

Erin Kathleen O'Neill

Posted by Erin at November 5, 2008 11:46 AM

Joss I fully believe it is about finding the place you fit and fits you, not the religious label written in wood and latex on the outside. Well okay, I believe that for the most part, there are a few exceptions. Drats.

Posted by Cele at November 5, 2008 11:51 AM

I personally think you have contributed the most useful therapy-related term/concept. I use it sometimes and hope to accomplish its spread here in the Northeast. Your concept: mental illness number. Very, very useful.

Posted by parrotzmom at November 5, 2008 12:36 PM

Jargon drives me nuts, too. (This is making grad school difficult.) But hooray for your new church! I go to a Presbyterian church and I rather like it.

Posted by Holly at November 5, 2008 12:51 PM

Yeah for your hiking and finding a happy church! Your friend's parents' church must, indeed, have been a weird offshoot, because my Presbyterian Elder grandmother (one of the first women to be so ordained!) took my Presbyterian Deacon mother and my unbaptized sister and self to Disneyland in the '70s. Sister is still unbaptized (our Dad is a physicist/ agnostic, so we weren't, as infants), but I have followed in the matriarchal footsteps. Presbyterians still don't have alcohol on the church campus (unlike the Lutherans, but I think like the Methodists), but are otherwise OK with most kinds of harmless fun.

But sometimes we do try to guilt people into being more INTENTIONAL in their behavior. I think that's lingo, and I use it ALL THE TIME. Sorry.

Along with quite a lot of professional jargon, because, while I am not one of the popular girls (and own no pink socks), I do like to appear to be one of the "in" crowd, I guess.

Posted by Diane (TT) at November 5, 2008 1:51 PM

Oh Gob Bless you Joshilyn for not blogging about politics!!!

Posted by Cathi at November 5, 2008 3:31 PM

I really treasure your personal growth.

Posted by Karen Abbott at November 5, 2008 4:12 PM

I think I will adopt Judy and her mantra as my very own. . .

"Something will happen and I will deal with it."

. . .especially since I teach 13-14 year olds every single, stinkin' day, and am selling one house. . .and building another. . .so "things" happen quite frequently.

Posted by Roxanne at November 5, 2008 11:49 PM

Congrats on finding the right church for you and yours. I really think your friend's family must have been part of the (get ready for some irony) Free Presbyterian church, the one that is still thriving in Northern Ireland. They are your classic fire and brimstone types.

Make all the jokes about spuds and drink you like Joss, nothing at all wrong with it. I make several of them a day myself, and I'm Irish in Dublin. We like to make fun of ourselves.

I was a "popular girl" for about 2 years in secondary (high) school here, but I defected (which did not compute with them) to the geeks, among whom I have lived happily since.

I had therapy once, but couldn't take it seriously as it was freudian, and I never, ever, remember my dreams. I used to just sit there and stare at the carpet and giggle whenever the therapist broke out the jargon. She didn't seem to see a problem with me bringing nothing to the table, as long as I showed up every week. I quit that too.

I have a jargon allergy, especially where it comes to new-age jargon. It's a pity that the mind-body-spirit section where I work is so popular, I have to bite my tongue a LOT when dealing with people looking for books that brim over with the stuff. and we have a LOT of them. Your new plan is the commonsense alternative, and I applaud you for it.

Posted by Rompompom at November 6, 2008 4:22 AM

Who loves not wisely but too well
May look on Helen's face in Hell,
While he whose love is thin and wise
May view John Knox in Paradise.
Dorothy Parker
(That said, my childhood Methodist and Presbyterian churches were pretty amiably interchangable.)

One of my best friends is a therapist, and while she can/does get both mean and giggly on martinis, it's the word 'honor' (as in honoring someone's disagreeable principles) that's going to make me headbutt her someday. (Though I think it's endearing that she was stunned when she found out not everyone envies her her job.) I suggest we lobby hard, a la Frindle, to add "buttmunch" to the lexicon.

Posted by rams at November 6, 2008 7:35 AM

I have no idea what this post is about, but it made me laugh. You are an amazing person Joshilyn Jackson.

Posted by Nik at November 6, 2008 2:56 PM

I think that friend of yours Karen Abbott may just be evil.

Posted by Kate Setzer Kamphausen at November 11, 2008 5:50 PM