Comments: The Things That Keep Me Humble

What a great day you had! Everyone should be celebrated once in a while. Or twice in a while if you can swing it.

I kind of hear you on sports. I have decided what I hate about most major sports is that they are FRUSTRATING. Football, basketball, hockey, soccer - they all involve trying to take your ball/puck someplace and having people try to stop you, sometimes even by knocking you to the ground but at least by standing in front of where you are trying to go. Please. I have enough of that trying to get my kids out the door in the morning. But I have become a fan of baseball. Everybody just does their best and whoever plays better wins.

All of that said, Fenway Park has decent ladies rooms (and even an attendant!) which surprises me as it is my understanding that the men use a slanted trough. This is beyond my definition of inappropriate on so many levels. Luckily, I'm not a dude. It also gets to be one of the oldest parks in the country which lends to all kind of fun fantasies when the game gets slow that I might be sitting in the same seat that my great grandfather sat in 1919 or that I am enjoying the same view as a Kennedy or an Affleck once did.

Posted by Em at October 5, 2008 9:05 AM

Yay for pulp fiction! I still get a kick out of some of those guilty pleasures. And I assume the Georgia Dome is a sports arena? I just figure anything with Dome in the title is a sports place but I, too, am ignorant of the sports thing.

Posted by donna lee at October 5, 2008 9:59 AM

Heh... I named my orc warrior Dejahthoris. "The Incomparable" wouldn't fit ;-(

Posted by inkgrrl at October 5, 2008 11:51 AM

Which Chicago team? While it must have been the White Sox, I'm amazed, as since the new park was built, tis very mall-like. Nothing like old Comiskey, where one must wander in near-blackout conditions, only to emerge in the blinding sunlight. At Comiskey, one made sure to keep track of the elderly and the young.

And only those Yankees on the Eastern seaboard fold pizza. Here in Chi-town, we hunker down with fork and knife.

Posted by Donna at October 5, 2008 12:49 PM

more likely the Cubs as they are a National League team and so is Atlanta. And Fenway is the best ballpark in the country, but the nice ladies rooms are a relatively recent addition. When we were growing up, nice is ... well, it's just not the word that would immediately come to mind.

Posted by Laura at October 5, 2008 1:09 PM

Thanks for doing the con! Both your pre-conference presentation and your workshop were fabulously entertaining (as expected) and enormously informative (also as expected).

You should come to Macon more often (please?). Not only did you make new fans, your existing fans finally got a chance to see you and get books signed (<-- big marketing suggestion here). I'm a little disappointed that I never got a chance to get my hardback copies of gods and Between signed (Just a little. Getting to read them was the best part. Thank you for that, too.).

Have always loved FTK. Makes my day. Going back to lurk mode now...

Posted by Carter at October 5, 2008 4:39 PM

Surely Mr. Husband could put together a wiki page for you...

Posted by Jill W. at October 5, 2008 6:48 PM

I'm gonna go with Donna and say that while the cities mentioned were NL cities, we're not talking about Wrigley Field here. Of course, I've never looked at Wrigley through pregnant eyes. Er...you know what I mean. Had to be inter-league play and the old Comiskey. Right? No better ballpark in the country that Wrigley in the afternoon...a dog and an Old Style or two. Or three. Glad my memories are LOTS different than your, Joshilyn! Sorry you had such a pukey time there.

BUT, glad your weekend was FAB!!!!!!!

Posted by Charmi at October 5, 2008 10:39 PM

Ah, lurve that old-timey pulp fiction!

When dragged to sporting events, I usually end up people-watching and also turning into some kind of anthropologist, speculating on how sporting events are the modern replacement for sending out our excess, testosterone-laden young men to go beat up some other tribe (to get rid of excess young male population!).

Hubs is a Yankee fan, but Boston is more accessable, so we have sat in the nosebleeds of Fenway, where folks would lynch him if they knew where his true sympathies lay. It must have been a while ago though, I remember NASTY rest rooms.

Posted by Brigitte at October 6, 2008 7:29 AM

The only baseball game I ever sat through- ever truly enjoyed- was one at Turner Field a few years ago, where I sat right behind the ball boys in Jane Fonda's seat, enjoyed free drinks and snacks in one of Ted's suites, used a private toilet with real towels and had personal conversations with the players during the game and after, as we retrieved our cars from the same private lot.
The next day at home, I clicked on the TV to see another game happening at Turner Field. And guess who was sitting in "my" seat? Rosalynn Carter.
yeah, I'm officially spoiled.

Posted by lindasands at October 6, 2008 9:40 AM

Joss isn't kidding about her lack of sports knowledge...I once heard a friend ask her if she was going to a superbowl party. Joss responded "Oh, probably not...I don't follow baseball."

*crickets*

Posted by Amy-Go at October 6, 2008 9:59 AM

I really never thought of folding pizza as a Northern thing. Huh...but then I guess since I'm from the "North", I wouldn't think of folding pizza as a region specific habit. Folding = win except in cards. Although I used to think everyone knew what Beer Cheese soup was too...

Grats on your dome knowledge.

Posted by Lia at October 6, 2008 11:19 AM

My oldest dog, Tansy, is named after a character in Leiber's "Conjure Wife." :-)

Posted by DebR at October 6, 2008 1:37 PM

The game was in fact the Cubs vs. the Braves. We picked up our seats VERY last minutes and were in the second level bleachers, which is not the way to see a game at Wrigly. The only proper way to see a game a Wrigly is to sit in the bleachers in left field, chanting "right field sucks!", while right field chants the opposite" Sitting in the sun with the breeze coming off the lake is the way it should be. Night games at Wrigly were a huge mistake.

The greatest thing about Wrigly, and there are many, is that a home run ball hit by the opposing team will always be thrown back onto the field. That's hard core fandom.

For the record, Joshilyn does own a "Roll Tide, Alabama" t-shirt. Amazing, but true.

Posted by Mr. Husband at October 7, 2008 9:28 AM

re the wikipedia entry, it just means we girlie southern fiction readers are LUDDITES. May correspond with you to get factoids with which to buttress a wikipedia entry.

Posted by parrotzmom at October 7, 2008 6:13 PM