Comments: Praisy Maisy

As I pick myself up from having fallen out of my chair laughing, I say once again: Your children are just hysterical -- you're doing good, lady!

Posted by Beth at September 10, 2008 9:18 AM

I love Maisy's songs -- you should sneak a mini-recorder into the room when she's on a roll. We captured many of my younger son's opuses that way, including the classic "Bread Spooky Trees".

Posted by RuthWells at September 10, 2008 9:54 AM

I LOVE Maisy stories!

Posted by Deborah P at September 10, 2008 10:14 AM

P.S. You might want to re-air this story when she's a teenager.

Posted by Deborah P at September 10, 2008 10:15 AM

I LOVE Maisy stories, too.

My 3 year old likes to make up songs and prayers too, but her exposure has been pretty limited, so they are always some combination of bits of "God is great. God is good...",the Pledge of Allegiance, and "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep...". Also she usually works in the word heart somewhere. Often she devotes a verse to thanking God for pears "because they are SO delcious." It cracks me up- I am forever trying to catch it on video, but usually the best bits are over by the time I get the camera.

Posted by Jill W. at September 10, 2008 10:26 AM

Heeeeee... my girl's songs tend toward the more secular-- "We're walking, walking, walking, WE'RE TAKING A WALK!" Love it. Wouldn't it be awesome if we didn't grow out of that fabulous unselfconsciousness? (Is that a word?) If people just walked down the street, singing their songs?

Posted by Nikki at September 10, 2008 10:55 AM

Is Maisy familiar w/the work of one Frances, the Badger? I believe hers were all secular songs and usually involved the word "kerplunk" but no doubt could easily be reworked into a hymn.

Thanks for the much needed smile this morning.

Posted by Elizabeth J at September 10, 2008 11:09 AM

Hey, I think any day someone promises not to kill you, it's a win. You may have to worry about other people, but Maisy? She's got your back.

Posted by Aimee at September 10, 2008 11:58 AM

ha! it's cute when Daisy does it, but if you overheard me singing entire conversations to the dog and cat you'd be more, umm, concerned. especially in the weeks leading up to when Herc got fixed and me singing the "soon you'll have defladderballs" song . . .

Posted by debra at September 10, 2008 1:19 PM

Stories about other people's kids are usually cute but rarely make me laugh out loud (despite my liberal LOL use, usually just means "that was darned cute") but I laughed my head off at this. She is a prize, that Maisy. If I were God, I think I would SO prefer her song to the same tired old How Great Thou Art.

Posted by Em at September 10, 2008 1:23 PM

I love your Maisy tales too. She's a charmer.

Posted by Lisa Milton at September 10, 2008 1:44 PM

That's the greatest praise song EVER. And Maisy is wonderful.

Posted by Alison at September 10, 2008 1:58 PM

I want to see her do praise songs as if they were cheers.

Posted by Karen Abbott at September 10, 2008 2:40 PM

What a great story!!!

PS: I picked up TGWSS today at the library...

Posted by Pattie at September 10, 2008 4:46 PM

And you can all sleep soundly knowing that you will not be murdered by your daughter!

Posted by donna lee at September 10, 2008 5:24 PM

You won't be murdered by Maisy unless, of course, you DIE laughing.

Oh. . .that was so bad. Sorry.

Posted by Roxanne at September 10, 2008 6:38 PM

I have a little sister (age: 7) who definitely does this. FOR HOURS. So cute.

Posted by Emily at September 10, 2008 7:28 PM

your posts of late have taken on a more shall we say devout tone. Makes me wonder where you are going with the piece you are writing now. I love the Maisy stories, she is such a Goddess... I can see the Christian Rock albums now.

Posted by parrotzmom at September 10, 2008 7:41 PM

That's it. I want her for Sammy. Such holiness is just what he needs... get the contract ready, and I'll start saving for the dowry. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at September 10, 2008 9:54 PM

i don't even live in marietta anymore, but i'd suggest a trip to visit 1st presbyterian on the marietta square. we were never members there -- we actually belonged to st. james next door -- but my kids went to preschool there and we ate wednesday night supper there for about three years, plus did the wednesday nite kids group and adult bible studies. lots of people thought we were members, we were there so often. ("no, they can't join the children's choir. they sing in the kids choir next door...")It's big enough to have lots of activities and options, and small enough to not feel like a number. great kids programs. they have that "youth warehouse" by the railroad tracks....and it's not really that far from powder springs........becky jordan, the gal who introduced me to your website, actually goes there. (she's one of your old monthly blogging for books winners.)

Posted by dramamama at September 10, 2008 10:38 PM

I am especially partial to Maisy's ode to chocolate.

Posted by Cele at September 11, 2008 7:52 PM

Bwah-ha-ha-ha That is the best song EVER. Can you tell me what tune it was sung to? I'm thinking Great is Thy Faithfulness. I want to sing it myself.

Posted by Heather Cook at September 12, 2008 6:16 PM

Oh my goodness. I can barely stand the cuteness!!! I love Maisy stories. I also love Sam stories. Your kids are freaking adorable :)

Posted by Lindsey at September 14, 2008 8:06 PM