Comments: 3 Questions with Bridget Asher

I'm adding this book to my Amazon shopping cart right now -- I love the idea of all those emotional complications. My husband and I have a screenplay idea that started the same way this did -- it's a title that we both love, and we have a basic concept. We're working on a different story now, but that title is there waiting for us, and it will be a screenplay some day. It's funny how ideas come... you never can tell.

Posted by Aimee at August 20, 2008 1:35 PM

I had just put that book on my list yesterday after peeping it on A Good Blog is Hard to Find. I thought it sounded really good, so I am glad to hear you liked it. Now I can't wait to read it.

All this talk of climing out of the mud reminds me of Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently's Detective Agency? Have you ever read it? I love that book, and it's sequel, The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul. I hate that he died before he could write any more in the series. He was such a funny, funny and erudite man.

Posted by Jill at August 20, 2008 2:59 PM

Climbing-- I meant climbing, not climing. Gak! Typos!

Posted by Jill W. at August 20, 2008 3:01 PM

Oh, and one thing I wondered about Ms. Asher is why the pen name? Especially when she has been so open about the fact that it is a pen name? Is it just a way to sort of "brand" a different type of book than what she writes as Julianna Baggott? I am just curious.

Posted by Jill W. at August 20, 2008 3:05 PM

I have the same question as Jill W. I had to scroll up and look again at the author's name, and wonder why it didn't sound familiar, because the story of how she found an agent seemed VERY familiar, and then I figured out it was the same person whose agent-finding story I'd read before (except under her real name). So why the pen name? Inquiring minds and all that!

Posted by amy at August 20, 2008 3:30 PM

I can't wait to read this! I'm definitely checking it out.

Posted by Julie at August 20, 2008 6:39 PM

Thank you for introducing this clever author, whom I am blissfully imagining as a kindred soul. Four kids between 1 and 13? I did that! Plus five! "Zap" is just EXACTLY the verb I've been looking for all these years.

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at August 20, 2008 8:45 PM

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

Posted by Lisa Milton at August 20, 2008 11:11 PM

Pants Up, oh mighty trou dropper. Your friends quite obviously outnumber your supposed enemies. When my patent-pending "Haters Begone" spray is produced, I'll send you a case.

Posted by Lori Parker at August 21, 2008 12:22 PM

my decision to go with a pen name for this book was a real struggle. i felt there are pressures, confining pigeonholes for me as a woman in this industry. and the pen name was a way for me to take the reigns.

i'll start from the beginning.

my first pen name N.E. Bode was created because i needed to write under a pen name because i was a little too prolific - as Julianna Baggott I published three literary novels in three years. Bode writes novels for the 8-13 year old set. www.theanybodies.com -- i loved the liberation of the pen name, the creation of a new identitiy and that i could make a clear pitch to a clear market.

so, with Bridget Asher...
i want to be able to build fans for this voice -- a voice that in the commercial literary cocktail has more commercial than my usual mix -- and then not lose that audience by following up that book by publishing a literary book set in an insane asylum at the turn of the last century. basically we love it when our actors do a superhero flick and then an art film, but it's too confusion in the book biz ... i'm trying to carve out a way to do both.

but i feel like i have to make these distinctions -- if i don't, then other people do it for me -- in marketing -- and that's been hard from me personally, as a woman writer, in particular. this way I get to decide before they tell me what i'm writing and for whom ...

does this make sense?

Posted by Julianna/Bridget at August 21, 2008 3:01 PM

J/B-- that does make sense, actually. I have already read one of your JB books, and I am looking forward to reading this BA one. I saw the N.E. Bode books on your website, and I have those down on my list, too. I am always looking for books for my nephew that I can enjoy reading, too. It sounds like we would love those.

Thanks for coming back to satisfy our curiosity. ; )

Posted by Jill W. at August 21, 2008 6:47 PM