Comments: Vertical Deathmarch, Part 2, Son of Deathmarch

Ah, I've occasionally shown up at my daughter's preschool to pick her up after a woods-walk, looking and smelling all feral. I'm sure they love me there. But you know, when you "stop walking entirely" for several minutes, that's when the MOST ticks home in on your body heat and find you.

Posted by Brigitte at August 13, 2008 7:25 AM

I like how "lit festy folks" can have 2 meanings. I can mean persons associatied with a literature festival, or people who are drunk and festive... or both, I reckon.

Glad you escaped a tick-infested greenery death.

Posted by Jill W. at August 13, 2008 9:23 AM

But Jill, there isn't a difference -- every lit festy person I know has been both :-)

You're a hardier soul than I. After that night of carousing, there wouldn't have been ANY way you'd be getting me out of bed at 5am.

Posted by Beth at August 13, 2008 9:32 AM

Oh dear. I guess you never read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." (As always, a book solution for every issue.)
Couldn't you just have a really active game of tag instead? Suppose that might not be the best after drinking until 5AM though.
Maybe, instead, you should stand at the entrance to the trail and just walk in place very vigorously. Just think of the entertainment value for passers by.

Posted by Elizabeth at August 13, 2008 10:51 AM

LOL - thanks, I needed a good from-the-gut-laugh today!

Posted by Becky at August 13, 2008 12:52 PM

Oh, so THAT's why Karen was scratching her scalp at lunch. You are TOO funny. And equally adorable. If it had not been Sunday, we could have had a shot in the name of Gooch.
( hey, that sounds like a new Joss cocktail )

Posted by lindasands at August 13, 2008 3:33 PM

I have this firm rule, never hike before I wake up, and I am usually firmly asleep at 5am.

Joss and Karen fans are ever so happy that the rumors of your pathy demise is decades premature.

Posted by Cele at August 13, 2008 10:25 PM

hehehe, that is totally the title for your next book, Joss! "Two Dead White Girls Trail"!

Posted by Elena at August 14, 2008 8:51 PM

You crack me up.

I want to sign up for your email list, but I do NOT heart new servers (thank you, lightning), and I don't know how to set up my Outlook account so that I can send you the email the way the link wants me to. Maybe Mr. Husband knows what I mean?

I wanna sign up and can't do it the way the link is set up.

There. Maybe that was clearer. :)

Posted by Molly at August 16, 2008 2:57 PM