Comments: Chigger Bites and Sunburns

I am so happy you are on Facebook. I've had my face in facebook for the last three weeks, facetiously.

Posted by Rebecca at July 24, 2008 6:53 AM

Love facebook, much more so than Myspace, which is too graphically busy for middle-aged eyes. I like the clean format and am addicted to Owned!, a facebook app.

Have fun finding everyone!

Posted by parrotzmom at July 24, 2008 7:30 AM

Can Zac go with Sam? His eyeballs are pretty tough, and he Is. Bored. I hear every day after dragging my butt home from work. last night we made volcanoes in the driveway until after eight o'clock. and then I died from exhaustion.

Posted by Elena at July 24, 2008 7:34 AM

Oh noes!... you have now added another major time-suck to your life...and I should know, since my facebook page is crammed full of widgets and quizzes and things people thought I might like to try (all of which I did try...and lost countless hours doing so). You however, seem to be a bit more sensible than that - finding something that is actually useful! Kudos for that. The slideshow was lovely.
Also, you can combine two timesucks into one by adding the "I Play WoW" app and showcasing your l33t skillz to the masses (there goes another ten minutes of drafting time!).
*extracts kitten from speaker cord, and ambles off to farm some primal water*

Posted by Rompompom at July 24, 2008 7:40 AM

I always love your posts, but today I had tears streaming down my face! My 11yo son just got back from camp, and I would swear you had been wearing a wire in my head to write this post.

I'm surprised the digital camera is even allowed, but I hope you get it back. Of course, Rexy the unicorn would be even better! Your son will survive and you might even find yourself checking the prices for 2 weeks next summer.

Posted by Jen at July 24, 2008 7:48 AM

24 July 2008 - I have finally signed up with Facebook. I hope there is a musical montage. :)

Posted by KlintD at July 24, 2008 8:49 AM

My eleven yr old is gone to camp this week, several states away. They also have archery. And a bb shooting range. Glad I'm not the one who has to supervise those activities. Connor recognized his own inability to keep track of objects and decided to leave his camera at home :) Or perhaps he doesn't want to chance having any incriminating evidence. It's a toss up really.

Posted by Laura L at July 24, 2008 9:53 AM

Aww so conflicted...I feel so stalkerish pretending I'm friends with someone I don't actually know just cause her books and blag are super cool...damn you wonderful Facebook for creating such issues!

Posted by Dani at July 24, 2008 10:00 AM

When I went to add you as a Facebook friend (Because I want people from Osceola High class of '88 to think that I am personal sparkly friends with a famous author. That's okay with you, right?) the "I'm not a robot spammer" code thingy they gave me to type in was - THOSE READS.

I found that odd and am wondering what kind of code people have to type in to friend me. POP TARTS? BIG SOCKS?

Posted by Becca at July 24, 2008 10:18 AM

I don't have time to make a Facebook montage. I have to go pray for Sam...RIGHT NOW.

Posted by Amy-Go at July 24, 2008 10:23 AM

First things first: that is a gorgeous picture of you. You're pretty!

Second things second: I am on Facebook, and will go send you a friend invite toot sweet. As soon as I can remember what my password is.

Third things third: I too will pray for Sam. Perhaps he can use the Vizzini trick from The Princess Bride, and if a bear approaches, point behind the bear and say, "What in the world could that be?"

Posted by Aimee at July 24, 2008 10:44 AM

Cool video!

I went to camp when I was a kid, and we had archery and horses and rivers and even wild treacherous snipes (or so they said, and I totally believed them. When we went snipe hunting and they shined a flashlight into some distant owl's eyes and said "see those glowing eyes? That's a snipe!" and then proceeded to chase a phantom thing through the grass and caught said imaginary beast in a burlap bag and wrestled mightily with the bag, I was convinced for life that snipes were real. And it didn't matter that later when they showed us the beast in a dimly lit cage in a shadowy barn that it was really a bunny with chicken feathers tied all over it, and that later it "escaped" before any of us really got a good look at it. No matter. I knew they were real. I'd SEEN one.)

Anyway, where was I? Camp! Right. Camp was tons of fun, and not dangerous, despite being populated by 11-year-old boys with bows and arrows. And I came home with all my belongings intact. I'm female, it's true, but I was also nine, not eleven, so that probably evens out the losing-everything-in-sight odds. He'll be fine! And he'll have a good adventure!

Posted by holly at July 24, 2008 12:00 PM

You've lost your keys again? I thought we made a suggestion of a GPS system for your keys?

Sam will adore summer camp, it was one of the great highlights of my life...all nine years of it. A.D.O.R.E. Have fun Sam.

Like I need another website, two blogs, myspace, and a workshop I'm thinking my boss wants me to come into work.

Posted by Cele at July 24, 2008 12:10 PM

I remember when Facebook was a college thing, and when I graduated high school, everyone joined. I think they were more excited about joining Facebook than starting college. I knew I would get addicted, so I put off joining. I did check it pretty frequently for a while, but now I forget about it for months at a time. People send me messages or invite me to events on there, but by the time I check it, the events have usually already happened. Apparently college students use Facebook as their primary communication resource.

If I remember next time Iget on Facebook, probably in September to see if anything important is happening at the beginning of the schoolyear, I will try to add you as a friend. I am hopeless at this sort of thing, though. I avoided it on purpose until I forgot it existed. I went on last week and I had a bunch of old Happy Birthday messages from my birthday in May. Maybe I should try to check more often...

Posted by Haley at July 24, 2008 2:03 PM

Gorgeous picture of you there, Miss Joshilyn, in that verrry nice, professional-looking montage.

And ma'am, I was a camp counselor for 3 summers, and married the head counselor a couple of years later. So we have a wee bit of camp experience here. Let me tell you, Sam is perfect summer camp material -- he's an 11-year-old boy! Just be sure to send clothes you can burn if any of them make it home - don't bother bringing them in the house. Unless, of course, he didn't actually change his clothes for the whole week. So hose Sam off too, before you let him in the house. One of the biggest treats of summer camp for those boys is being able to get out of bathing for a whole week. (Counselors are supposed to MAKE them bathe & change their underwear at least once in the week, but they don't actually check quality of 'bathing' or cleanliness of underwear.)
IOW, Sam will be FINE. Just picture him contentedly sleeping out under the stars or splashing in the (shallow) pond (with very competent lifeguards!) or sitting at a dining hall table laughing at fart jokes with the other campers. He'll have a great time. And you'll be fine too. Really. Even if you have to spend every waking moment on Facebook. (Or get a new Webkinz for Miss Maisy who may be bereft at home without big brother. Designing, building & running that Webkinz life ought to eat up the week!)

Posted by Lulu at July 24, 2008 2:16 PM

I worked at sleepaway camp the summer after I graduated college and it was the best summer of my life. Sam is going to have so much fun!

I'll go over and friend you on facebook now. I think you'll appreciate my profile picture. It's me with two of my other writerly friends that I met during NaNoWriMo along with Markus Zusak, author of I Am The Messenger and The Book Thief. Good times in Atlanta. ;)

Posted by erinanne at July 24, 2008 3:18 PM

Love Facebook! I'm glad you're on it!

Posted by Julie at July 24, 2008 10:04 PM

I too have added you as friend on Facebook, although I go there about as often as I vacuum. (In my defense, Lillian does it, so we're not really hip deep in dog and cat fur.)

And Peach! You blurbed "The Lace Reader"! I loved it! Maybe three questions with her, please?

Posted by Fran at July 24, 2008 11:27 PM

I friended you on facebook. I'm so glad you're on there. I <3 facebook.

Posted by Nik at July 25, 2008 12:59 AM

Have not joined the Facebook thingy, but boy is that an AWESOME photo of you!!!

And even though I am quite sure that Sam IS the very best of everything, I am equally confident after having taught 11 and 12 year old boys for nearly 17 years, that bears are smart enough to know how unpalatable is the pubescent male--and how deadly is the pubescent male's own version of a Mama bear.

Posted by Roxanne at July 25, 2008 1:12 AM

You were joking about your kitchen, right?

*shudder*

Posted by Elizabeth at July 25, 2008 8:23 AM

When I went to pick up my two oldest from their first foray into sleep-away camp, there was a big end-of-camp program. A major part of that program was the displaying of items not claimed to the "people who paid for them." That's right, they held up lost items (with lots of fun commentary) and the parents would recognize them and walk to the front and claim them for their children. It was funny even when I had to go claim something. Some of the things that had been lost and unclaimed was baffling. You wondered how a child could go 5 days without something so essential and then you realized you really did *not* want to know....

Posted by Linda Sherwood at July 25, 2008 8:57 AM

I, too, have befriended you on facebook because I want my friends to see that I am friends with an awesome writer -- that I truly didn't know was so beautiful! You really had me going with your bit about slumping around the house writing in your PJ's -- no one gets skin like yours with a steady diet of writer's block Oreos!

And? the montage thing? Yeah, you totally taught me a new way to waste time on facebook! Yay!

Posted by Sarah S. at July 25, 2008 7:03 PM

Camp rocks. Went at nine stayed till my mid twenties. Still trying to figure out how to sneak back in. As for your keys my dear, check the freezer. Mine went missing for two weeks at UWF when it dawned on me, you put the fozen food away first when returning from the grocery store.
Love ya,doll.

Posted by meaghan at July 28, 2008 10:10 PM

Oh, nice! I *love* the new pic. You look fabulous, dahling.

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at July 30, 2008 12:08 PM