Comments: Defeated by Nature (both mine and MOTHER)

You are so funny--your blog helps keeps me sane!

Posted by Julie at July 21, 2008 2:11 PM

What in hey is a skink? Is it a southern thang?

Posted by RuthWells at July 21, 2008 2:21 PM

Ruth, I just had to do an image search of skink. Looks like a worm with legs and a face. Not exactly the kind of cute that usually merits saving from duct tape suicide but to each their own.

I don't know if it is wrong to be looking forward to this part of the process. The part where you go completely mental and think that you forgot how to write and think maybe that they will start retracting the great reviews you got for your other books and other ridiculousness. I look forward to it for two reasons, 1) awesome blogging and 2) eventually, an awesome book to read. I feel guilty about looking forward to it though because high mental illness days are not happy days in Joshilyn's world.

**as a footnote, I would like to refer to to a post on 10/31/05 after I did a quick search on your blog for mental illness number. I've been here a while. I've seen this before ;-)

Posted by Em at July 21, 2008 2:43 PM

It's OK, I know your normal when your not writing. I know you need to be this,ummm, "ill", so I can get the next good book. See, it's not about YOU, it's about Me! :)

Posted by desi at July 21, 2008 2:57 PM

SAVE THE SKINKS! Don't you have a neighbor or friend who can lend/rent you a room for a bit? No pants required and no brain damaged skinks running around...we all know how that just ruins a neighborhood.

Posted by Tina at July 21, 2008 3:23 PM

Pretty blue! You could have worse things stuck to your vision preventing duct tape.

Funny thing. When I was little, I thought it was DUCK tape. But it's not. And my father tried very valiantly to explain that a DUCK is nothing like a DUCT but my 4-year-old brain just didn't get it.

Posted by nik at July 21, 2008 3:29 PM

You breathe through your skin, too, tulip. But how the hell can a skink get under a thoroughly duct taped cord? You need to have a word with the gaffer's union...

Posted by rams at July 21, 2008 3:30 PM

Have you tried the garage? I bet you don't do much of anything in the garage except start or stop your car, so maybe your brain would agree to let you write in the garage for a few minutes before your MIN finds another mountain to climb.

Posted by DebR at July 21, 2008 3:32 PM

Motel? You could take your jammies with you. Also, you could sit in one room and write for awhile, and then insist you need to change rooms because the one you're in has a funny smell or something. You could work your way through all the rooms in the motel before they caught on, if the motelliers were sufficiently clueless.

Posted by alala at July 21, 2008 3:42 PM

Excuse my ignorance here, but what on Earth is a SKINK???

Posted by Becky at July 21, 2008 4:20 PM

PvP baby, it works for me! At least that's what I tell myself when I really want to curbstomp my novel... that I'm working out unhealthy frustration by spamming moonfire at whatever catches my eye.

Posted by inkgrrl at July 21, 2008 4:32 PM

a blue tailed lizard. Their tails fall off(when you touch thier tails) too
pretty cool when your 10!

Posted by desi at July 21, 2008 4:35 PM

Is there a reason they are Zerging your tape? I would imagine you do have natural shade outside. LOL would be funny if they are attracted to the tape? (Well okay not funny) That's just plain odd. Maybe they need some sort of natural cool shade. When I last lived in the rurals (Washington State) we had Salamanders and they hearted hiding under leaves..so I had to be very gentle when raking leaves. Maybe you could spread out flat cardboard pieces on the lawn and see if they go there instead. (maybe get the kids involved so they know not to STOMP on them, creating a horrid Skink event and causing caricatures of you to be drawn in the little Skink schools in a bad way).

Maybe some sort of Skink pagoda, with a tower (and protruding shades), where the skinks could go and climb and praise your awesomeness.

OH Hey maybe wrapping the chord in cardboard or putting cayenne pepper on the cardboard might make the pets stay away from the chord. (well okay probably not)

*thinks* Anyhoo I have nothing.. except. On Wednesday , July 23.. at 1pm Atlanta Georgia's FBI office is having a 'Happy Birthday to us' even in the parking lot. Something to distract you guys while your rooms reset. http://preview.tinyurl.com/59cenj :D Kap La!

Posted by KlintD at July 21, 2008 5:02 PM

Oh! That reminds me of a snake story! My good friend has six children. The oldest three are busy, busy, busy boys who love building things and scavenging and hunting for lizards and snakes in the west desert (Utah). One evening when this friend and I were chatting I noticed that she seemed tired (more than usual -- she's generally tired with six children under the age of 12). "Oh," she said. "We had a long night. One of the boys' snakes got loose in the house and after searching and searching we thought it was gone forever. But then we found him stuck to a glue trap we had left out for mice. So my husband and I were up until two this morning picking the snake free from the glue trap. He seems fine -- missing a few scales, but fine."

How's that for love and devotion?

Posted by Mel at July 21, 2008 5:12 PM

OK, I'm hoping you won't think my mental illness number is crazy-high by suggesting this, but how about smudging the rooms. It's really meant for evil spirits, but I think you can look at it as a whole room-cleansing thing. You need sage (I think any in the pantry is fine. I have it taking over the herb bed) and you need to light it and let the smoke out in the room.

I think you could achieve a similar effect by opening all the windows for a while, and perhaps lighting scented candles. It's really to refresh the rooms for you and the muse in your head anyway.

Posted by JulieB at July 21, 2008 5:55 PM

I always like to read and write on staircases. Or what about a local park, with Bagel on a leash? Except maybe he'd just pull at the leash the whole time trying to catch squirrels and things. Hey, didn't you say you have an attic?

At least the skinks are pretty. And are they really only an inch long? That sounds really cute, except it must take ages to carefully unstick something that tiny.

Posted by holly at July 21, 2008 7:07 PM

I think your skinks are mutant ones, if they're that small. I only live about an hour south of you, and mine are fully the length of my palm, with their cute blue tails swishing two thirds the length of my middle finger. Cutecute. There was this one at my house, and my husband felt bad for it because it a) couldn't find its way out and b) wouldn't allow itself to be caught (kept losing the dern tail) and we saw him getting thinner and thinner. SO my husband started killing flies with a swatter and then leaving the flies where the poor little thing could find them.

True story. :)

Posted by Molly at July 22, 2008 12:33 AM

They must be baaaaybees! Silly, cute baby skinks.

When I read "my mental illness number is a living thing with ropes" a quick image from "The Thing" passed through my head, when IT is leaving its dog-form and flinging ropy tentacles of itself all over. Bleeeurgh.

Posted by Brigitte at July 22, 2008 5:26 AM

I would get completely distracted playing with the skinks. I love reptiles. We don't have lizards up here, just salamanders (which are amphibians), and they don't come out to play. They stay in their moist places under rocks and logs. And the snakes just go hide.

My younger son saw the picture of the skink on the monitor and thoroughly liked it, too.

Posted by amy at July 22, 2008 8:21 AM

I thought they were lizards. Good luck on finding a writing room today!

Posted by Deborah P at July 22, 2008 9:56 AM

Why do I feel like sending encouragement to Scott right about now?

It will be ok, Tulip. Reallyreally.

Posted by Amy-Go at July 22, 2008 10:12 AM

Do you have a cellar? You could write there, if you do; or I like the suggestion about the stairs. Or maybe you could go outside without Bagel and let the skinks be your animal writing companions? They are pretty cute, and with no Bagel you wouldn't have to tape anything and they wouldn't get stuck.

Posted by Aimee at July 22, 2008 10:51 AM

Pretty blue, but I amost didn't see the blue because the skinky nose is quite similar to a snaky nose, and I don't go there. Thank god you blog.

Posted by Cele at July 22, 2008 12:02 PM

Thanks for the enlightenment! We have skinks here that look just like your photo, but I always thought they were funny looking salamanders. Now I know!

Posted by Trace at July 22, 2008 1:23 PM

As a card carrying member of IATSI (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) I can legally accept a gaffers credit for the production of the next book. The duct tape was, in fact, gaffers tape, the only acceptable tape for laying down cords.

The problem is, that at the end of the cord there is a very small space just below the round cord where a skink can crawl in to get some shade, and that's where they immediately go. IATSI does not include skink protective measures in their gaffers training.

To file a greivance, please contact your local union steward.

Posted by Mr. Husband at July 22, 2008 1:47 PM

awww, cute little skink! I'd save him too :) I always wanted a blue tongue skink for a pet.

Posted by Laura L at July 22, 2008 4:56 PM

OOh! that's what a blue-tailed skink looks like! I remember this from a book I read as a child, and UK children had NO IDEA about your exotic fauna (I suspect National Geographic Channel has cured some of that), and I think I imagined it like one of those fish with hands in Dr Seuss... So beautiful! I can completely imagine your trying to pry their little hands away from the duct tape... Ouch.

Posted by Liz at July 22, 2008 5:53 PM

So, per Mr. Husband's scientific explanation, the skinks are looking for shade. Why not put paper or something at the tape/cord-end interface, to give those skinks some unsticky shade? Kind of like the skink pagodas that KlintD suggested.

Otherwise, just consider yourself a good agent of Darwin -- you are helping skinks evolve into smarter beings by gaffer-taping out the dumb ones.

Good luck with the drafting. I'd offer you the use of a room over here (we're very pajama-friendly) but I'm not sure we got rid of the weasel in the guest room. (At least it's being quiet, if it's still there.) And I'm sure that isn't the sort of animal companionship that is conducive to great drafting.

Oh, and the remodel is still under way. [[sigh]]

Posted by Lulu at July 22, 2008 6:35 PM

OK, sorry, I promised a story a day, but I think I'm going ot have to resort to random thoughts since none of these add up to a story in themselves.
1 - The dog eats toadstools. So far, she is still alive. She's pretty bright, except for the toadstool thing.
2 - The caboose thought it was very neat that the dog was snacking in the backyard, and decided to help. I think I convinced him to stay away from the toadstools.
3 - I regularly recieve pamplets from the Posion Control Center. I called because of the caboose (who was not poisoned BTW) and said "sure" when they offered to add me to their mailing list, because, really, who's going to say "no?"
4 - My second bat story turned out to be really boring upon reflection. I actually thought of two more, but they were really one-liners.
5 - Tonight, we are going to sleep with the window OPEN because it is going down to 55 F!

Posted by JulieB at July 22, 2008 7:40 PM

I would laugh if I didn't COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND IT.

Posted by Jess at July 23, 2008 8:28 AM

I love your blog, and I found it first. I have just started reading gods in Alabama, and may I just say that I don't care what insanity it takes to get the next book out - it is worth it. Could I offer my house of crazy as a new field of un-used spaces for your writing? We have a deck and a porch, both with wiring for laptop and no skinks or any other reptile, and we have a great dog who loves to be outside sleeping. YOu are amazing, and I can't wait to read on my lunch hour!!!

Posted by melissa at July 23, 2008 11:23 AM

I'd love to know what you are doing to re-set the house. Hanging by your feet, ala bats and MC Escher?

It did get gloriously cold in the cornfields west of Chicagoland last night. We even had the windows open today.

Not much elst to report, except that tomorrow night I shall swim in emerald colored water and watch for Hank the Heron.

Posted by JulieB at July 23, 2008 8:53 PM