Comments: The Real Thalia

How did you transport Sam back in time to that picture...? Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Posted by Mir at July 1, 2008 11:18 AM

Any contests soon? Cause, I can't afford to order The Girl and I am spoiled by having your first 2 signed and in hardback from when you came through Jackson. I didn't get to SEE you this time. *sad face*

Posted by Heather at July 1, 2008 11:36 AM

Hey, my youth camp must have had the same copy of the Bible that yours did. I always wondered why they called it "mixed bathing"--doesn't "mixed swimming" make more sense? Maybe that's what they called it in the KJV. ;-)

Posted by Alison at July 1, 2008 2:36 PM

Um, I had that EXACT same haircut, Joshilyn. And, I think I may have had that shirt, too. But wait, it gets better.
My best friend in childhood, not just at camp but all the time, was blonde and aloof, like your Thalia.
Scary.

Posted by Kate at July 1, 2008 3:06 PM

I love/hate recommended must-read books. Love because, well obvious reason. Hate because my must-read list is now longer than I will have years on this planet even if I live to be over 100. Oh, speaking of must-reads, I wanted to let you know that, along with other family, my DIL and her teen sister were here visiting last week and by the first evening of their arrival, they'd both sniffed out and were fighting over BG. In a house so full of books that we don't need insulated walls, this was the book they wanted. DIL Lisa won the tussle and finished it just a few days, including a stay-up-til-3am night even though her daughter would wake her up at the buttcrack of dawn, so her sister could read it. She took TGWSS home with her and will return it when I see her again in a month.

Posted by Laume at July 1, 2008 4:54 PM

I loved The Year of Fog. I didn't realize she had a new one out. It's on my list now--thanks!

Posted by amy at July 1, 2008 4:59 PM

Joshilyn,
Talk about an around the world coincidence - here goes. I first heard of you by listening to your podcast with Annie Smith about TWGSS and had an instant kinship with you - just clicked. So, I bought Between before we went to the beach. I read it and then bought Gods in Ala. and read it at the beach. I LOVED them both!!! I grew up in Atlanta and moved to Powder Springs 30 years ago. When I got back from the beach I started reading your blog and then realized that you live in Powder Springs too!! How bizarre!! I am really looking forward to reading TGWSS as soon as I can get to B & N. Also, I saw on your blog that you were doing the event at the Margaret Mitchell house. I need to ask my father, but he has some kind of connection to that too. Something to the effect of his aunt or maybe great aunt rented a room in the Margaret Mitchell house when Ms. Mitchell was there to the point where she remembered how things were set up, etc. and has come back a couple of times at the request of the historical group that now owns it. I will have to talk to him to get the specifics. Well, I didn't mean to go on too long and certainly don't want to sound stalkerish, but just wanted to let you know how very much I enjoyed your books and was thrilled to find out it was someone from our "little" town : >

Posted by Cheryl at July 2, 2008 11:01 AM

Joss my dear you need a secretary.

Posted by Cele at July 2, 2008 12:20 PM

We are the same age, and we had the same hair. . .in fact. . .we could have been twins at that age down to the church camp experiences and "mixed swimming." I am assuming that you are eating in the mess hall and that it is unairconditioned? Ours had a GIGANTIC fan that could have sucked in and eaten up entire children were it not for the hardware cloth protecting us. It was great to be assigned to Cabin 1, 'cause you got to sit closest to the fan. Cabin 6 was outta luck.

Posted by Roxanne at July 3, 2008 6:08 PM

I have 2 books to add to everyone's list of 10,000 "must reads" that sit on the bedside table. First, "The Book of Marie" by Terry Kay. Wow. I just loved this one. Maybe because it hit a chord with me? The second one I'm not quite done with. I love that there's a bit of historical truth to it and that is "Loving Frank" about a long time affair with Frank Lloyd Wright.

Posted by Kim at July 7, 2008 1:12 AM