Comments: Damp Animals

Joss Wrote: " ... a wave tossed several little minnows up onto the sands where they flipped about like silvery panic-strings."

I think I would pay just to read your blog. I certainly get a vicarious trip to the beach!

Posted by JulieB at June 28, 2008 10:14 AM

Today it was the apt and odd description of the shark that got me. I, too, would pay to read the blog. Thanks, Joshilyn, for making we wnat to use better words for the everyday stuff.

Posted by Sara at June 28, 2008 10:57 AM

Okay. I KNOW you profess to be a clumsy, sci-fi, Conan loving, Mr. Spock lusting geek of ginormous proportions.

But you are so cool.

You poetically drew a line in the sand regarding your feelings about sharks, then discussed poop, pirates, and souls at the same time--with all of it making sense and twisting itself into a whole.

Man alive.

Posted by Roxanne at June 28, 2008 12:46 PM

I love herons, too.

Posted by nik at June 28, 2008 2:04 PM

Indeed, Joshilyn, beautiful descriptions. Someday I will contact you to see how you get your poetic words flowing so seamlessly.

I do want to make clear, though, I wasn't attempting to anthropormorphize anything (though I do love me some anthropomorphization on occassion). I respect sharks (and crocodiles and other such ancient, toothsome predators) for the same reason that Joshilyn dislikes them--they have literally not evolved for millions and millions of years and we are screwing up their fine tuning (I'm not bashing people who catch them to eat them, but people who screw up the ocean and catch them to lop off their fins and throw them back in the water to die slowly and painfully). And if I were a parent, I could see the fear of having a bull shark in the midst of your children's beach fun, so I was never dissing anyone, just sticking up for poor sharky, since no one else seems to.

(Oh, and they do have personalities, they aren't *ALL* instinct--read Casey's aformentioned book if you don't believe me!)

And, thanks Joshilyn, for being funny and poetic and inspiring to us hopeful writing types.

Posted by Kate at June 28, 2008 4:26 PM

AH oops Kate, I meant ME, not you. *I* am the one who has a tendency to anthropomorphize ALL things -- down to the poor bug who died on my windshield on the drive home. Then Scott and I had a long talk about his short sad life, and I decided it was suicide. I was saying *I* draw the line at sharks. I did not think YOU had anthropomophized them! You write about them eloquently I thought, with the same sort of avidity that my husband expends on quarks.

Passion is cool.

Posted by Joshilyn at June 28, 2008 9:01 PM

Oh, I am so glad I don't have to pay to read Joshilyn's blogginess, because I'm not sure what bill I wouldn't play to indugle my senses. hhmmmm, the gas bill.

Now I'm rich.

Posted by Cele at June 28, 2008 9:26 PM

I could ditch the cable bill cause this is way better than tv ... if only the cable co didn't bring me my trusty internet, too.

Posted by Patti at June 29, 2008 12:01 AM

The descriptions of the animal personalities kind of made me think of "our" feral cat. He likes to hang out not too far from us, sometimes within 30 feet or so, but he will never ever ever admit that he secretly likes us. That would be far too demeaning.

The sandpiper made me laugh, I've been cussed out by a few birds and squirrels too.

Posted by Brigitte at June 29, 2008 7:53 AM

"It's hard to tell with adolescents..."

Truer words, woman.

Posted by RuthWells at June 29, 2008 8:57 PM

Heh... cussed out by a sandpiper. I've never been scolded by a piper, but I have been scolded by terns and piping plovers. The piping plovers are very fierce, and will PEEP at you if you disturb them. Peeping *sounds* innocent, but you can just tell they're little potty-mouths.

Posted by Aimee at June 30, 2008 10:39 AM

“More soup,” he said shaking his head at them.

Now, if you are like me and hadn't read the post of the day before, this comment is freakin' hilarious in its randomness. Mr. Nguyen is my hero. Reminded me of the Old Man and the Sea.

You got my attention and loyalty when you were describing the sad passing of Snickers and you wrote "'Is it very dreadful?'" [said Maisy]. Anyone who has children that have such a wonderful grasp on vocabulary as to ask this question using the word "dreadful" has my undying love and loyalty. The way the English language is used and abused these days makes me despair for the children of the future.

Posted by Erin at July 2, 2008 3:40 PM

Oh, Joshilyn... you so lie to yourself! You say you have an empty hole in your core where the love of flowers and sunsets and music and all things beautiful/romantic/lovely would sit. You're so wrong about that!

Maybe you don't see those things the same way that someone else does, but you do TRULY see the wonder in the world. And you have the gift of being able to share that wonder with others with your words. I'm jealous and honored to be part of this big group (of groupies?) who share a little part of your life with you.

Thank you for letting us visit the beach with you!

Posted by Beth at July 4, 2008 2:31 PM

I enjoy your writing SO much. I feel as if I am standing beside you when you spin your story. Brava!

Posted by Dory at July 4, 2008 5:18 PM