Comments: In Which MORTAL DANGER Pre-Empts Things That Are True at the Beach (part 2)

Great story.

Also a great way to ruin the beach.

Bravo, Mr. Nguyen AND Bravo, Pool.

Posted by Roxanne at June 25, 2008 7:14 PM

What the heck kind of hook was he using??? Or bait? He should have held on and sent the young man in the water to wrestle the shark....

What excitement to begin your day......*S*

btw.....let me know when you start that justification service....i'll be one of your best customers.

Posted by Sequana at June 25, 2008 8:08 PM

Please tell me you had a really good telephoto lens and THAT's how you got the picture of the fearsome monster shark...because he is one big bad boy(shudder)

Posted by Lisa at June 25, 2008 8:45 PM

I WOULD, TOO!!! In fact, we used to LIVE at the beach, and after reading a book of my dad's about a famous WWII battle where manyMany shipwrecked soldiers were eaten by sharks...after that I would only let the waves LAP over my feet and if I could not SEE my feet? I WAS SO OUTTA THEAH.
I wish I could say I was now a strong courageous person, but I have to cover my eyes just to watch ER.
But! I got my PRIZES today!!! And now my lips smell of lemongrass in a way that makes me want to run into Surin West and order the coconut shrimp soup. And I have a READING COPY of gods, not just my sacredly signed hardback that remains worshipfully wrapped in its' Alabama Booksmith bag of sacred worshipfulness (I have about broken myself of genuflecting but still must put fresh flowers before the bookshelf daily...hehehe)

Posted by Elena at June 25, 2008 8:51 PM

I hate to be the one to defend the shark, but as a zoologist I have to say that I am an itty bit glad that he got away.

I am especially enamored of sharks after reading Susan Casey's book 'The Devil's Teeth,' an amazing bit-o-writing that makes me wish that 1. I had written it, and 2. that I had been there doing the research she wrote so beautifully about. Also, Joshilyn, as a fledgling science writer, I am jealous of your description of the shark--it is beautiful. --especially the "undulating tube of deeply angry muscle"--genius!

Lastly, I am especially, mostly jealous that you got to see it in person...and despite the other responses, I would have been out in the water with Mr. Nguyen.

One last question, though, do you know what species it was, by chance? I can't tell from the picture (though it looks like a nurse shark, and they aren't generally aggressive to humans.)

Posted by Kate at June 25, 2008 9:17 PM

I am REASONABLY certain it was a Bull Shark--- my dad, a veteran diver, thinks so, as did a coupla fishermen standing around watching. They are common here, and they are a little "eaty" as far as people go :)Certainly eatier than Nurse sharks -- I have petted Nurse Sharks before.

AND YES... shark was lovely and sleek and purpiseful, I admit. And if it was ME and I had killed it I would have felt AWFUL as it would have been purposeless...but in this case,Mr. Nguyen fishes for his family's dinner every day. This would nothave been a trophy for him, but a freezer filler. And things eat other things. he shark knows this better than any of us.

Posted by Joshilyn at June 25, 2008 9:37 PM

Holy crap, indeed.

We have no sharks in our pool. Warts, sure. But no sharks.

Posted by Mir at June 25, 2008 9:57 PM

Yo whoodie, good story.

And I turned you out (that sounds so naughty!) in a few San Fran bookstores today.

Posted by Karen Abbott at June 25, 2008 10:24 PM

Oh my, what a fabulous story! Like Kate, we're a bit glad the shark got away, but we understand completely fishing for necessity, and that shark was definitely a worthy opponent!

Wow.

Thank you.

Posted by Fran at June 25, 2008 11:56 PM

Just please answer me this one thing: are you at the Gulf or the Ocean? Because I need to know which opposite way to go on my beach vacation.

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at June 26, 2008 1:48 AM

That is the coolest story! And I bet the sheer excitement of watching boosted your metabolism for the rest of the day, helping you burn off all those enchilada calories.

Posted by Brigitte at June 26, 2008 5:22 AM

MUCH better story than Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea. And I'm SO with you on the pool.

Posted by Pattie at June 26, 2008 8:27 AM

I am SO coming to you the next time I need justification. I am even willing to pay the upcharge.

Holy crap that's a big shark. So glad I've already been to the beach this summer!

Posted by Leandra at June 26, 2008 8:50 AM

Wow, you can tell a story. If we were sitting around a campfire right now, you would see that my jaw is sitting upon my keds.

Also, if that shark was a smart shark, he would not be anywhere near the beach where your children swim ever ever again. Perhaps he was another species of storyteller and he is holding other sharks captive with his harrowing tale. It will become shark legend and never shall another shark of any kind be seen anywhere near the places where sweet precious little offspring toes frolic.

Posted by Em at June 26, 2008 9:26 AM

>I nodded. “If he had one of my kids I would. But >I am not sure I will do it if he had, say, >someone else. Like if he had, say, Mr. Nguyen.”

I love starting my day out with your blog!

Hope Mr. Nguyen has better luck today.

Posted by cathy at June 26, 2008 10:12 AM

Aieeeeeeeeeeeee! That is a LOT of SHARK! And if it WAS a bull shark? Double aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! They are eaty with people and aggressive, or so I understand. Eek!

Great story, though.

Posted by Aimee at June 26, 2008 10:52 AM

I'm with Em - I'll bet that shark won't show his face again and is telling all his sharky friends. Still, I'd be at the pool, at least until the story has a chance to spread. That thing was HUGE!

Posted by Deborah P at June 26, 2008 11:10 AM

JOSHILYN JACKSON PLEASE STAY ALIVE!

Posted by Nik at June 26, 2008 12:50 PM

Wow! Great story.

I'm here to say "Thank You!" I've receieved my book and my lip balm as well -- I love the way it smells. (On rereading, I thought I should clarify I meant the lip balm, but the books smells good too)

I was going to keep the book as my seekrit book, but now I think I have to display it in a prominent place so all can know I am your BFF. :)

Oh, and don't worry about the enchiladas. I believe the corn and black bean salsa is a "Fiberific" food, which we WW vets know erase points and thus would cancel out the enchilada points.

Posted by JulieB at June 26, 2008 2:24 PM

Just feeling the need to defend sharks again...bull sharks are known to be aggressive, however, only when you are looking a bit like their preferred food, or they are starving. This dud musta been hungry, but if you kids don't go out to dangerous depths and don't look like what was on the end of that hook, you are okay.
I am guessing other readers must have figured out by now that I am a bit crazy, so I feel okay saying I have no problem swimming with sharks (now if there were clowns swimming around below the surface we'd be having an entirely different conversation). I do get the eating for food, that's fine, and I understand the concerned parents, but I feel it's my job to reassure you that shark attacks are quite rare (I often stick up for the wildlife).
I'm off the soapbox now.

Posted by Kate at June 26, 2008 2:28 PM

Wow!!!
That's all, just....Wow!!!

Posted by DebR at June 26, 2008 6:04 PM

I am at the beach, too- Destin, FL. They're have been a fair amount of shark sightings and catchings around here, too. Beautiful weather...and nice pool. : )

Posted by Jill W at June 26, 2008 10:21 PM

OMG!! one one that was just AWESOME!! :D

I'm still smiling! Big smiling!

:D

Posted by KlintD at June 26, 2008 10:47 PM

Great story, as always. Nice pics, too.

And now your big shark friend has 43 days to swim up nawth to my beach (where the only pools are the tidepools). Unless it stays cold up there, hmmm, which is worse, freezing cold water, or sharks?

Posted by Patti at June 27, 2008 11:37 PM

What a joyous story.

Posted by Cele at June 28, 2008 12:24 AM

hzngkvro ejlbs fwmia rwucmk udlsqka uegoxr uebornaqz

Posted by vftns ykjzgota at July 1, 2008 12:47 PM

chsvpglr uvbisrkt iyvgstz gbefksp tvmrxdf djgx ycnto http://www.tyne.urki.com

Posted by frlqpxysk vybt at July 1, 2008 12:47 PM

vdat xecjkg mdejolt gfzbs gsdibaz pbzqovshj kevzdqy ifhzva qpwr

Posted by btlnf tkspodgm at July 1, 2008 12:47 PM

WOW! I hate to admit that I'm a little glad Mr. Nguyen didn't get the shark -- there's a lot of mercury in those top predators. Not good when you're fishing to feed your family. At the same time, I'll keep my fingers crossed for pompano!

spectacular photos and story!

Posted by Beth at July 4, 2008 2:25 PM