Comments: Sandy Bottom

Those suits crack me up - you'd be too busy drowning from the weight of all that wet fabric to worry about how "modest" you looked.

Also wanted to say I loved The Girl Who Stopped Swimming - best book I've read in a long time, hands down.

Posted by RockyCat at May 29, 2008 11:26 AM

Unfortunately, my mom has your mom's trump card completely beaten: 20 days late, 27 hours of labor (back labor at that), and I showed up at "3:47 AM in the morning!" as she likes to tell me.

I seriously like Sara's plan!

Posted by Beth at May 29, 2008 11:27 AM

Sara sounds like a genius. I've lost five pounds so far on WW -- 4 the first week and 1 last week. I fast feel my enthusiasm waning. Stay strong! Don't let it happen to you!

Posted by Leandra at May 29, 2008 1:35 PM

I like Sara's plan, too. We did those pictures last year and whore khaki on bottom, white on top. I have also seen them with jeans or jean shorts and white tops. Maybe those could work for your crew.

We are going to Destin in 3 weeks, and I will be nowhere near beach ready. I have decided to just accept it. I only hope no one tries to splash water over me to keep me moist until the authorities are able to put me back out to sea...

Posted by Jill at May 29, 2008 2:49 PM

Seeing as how you have TWO children, you are covered and don't have the lose the 5 pounds that white adds OR the 5 pounds the camera adds. Lucky you!

Posted by Roxanne at May 29, 2008 3:17 PM

And THANK you for the swimsuit link. I think that my very tall, long-legged, blond-haired (also long), blue-eyed daughter would look FABULOUS in one of those suits. Especially when she's 16.

Posted by Roxanne at May 29, 2008 3:19 PM

I have a solution to big white butt dilemma, from which I also suffer.

Lobby for denim or khaki and white. Everyone looks washed out in all white. The composition of white with khaki or denim with white is so much more pleasing...plus you are echoing the colors of surf and sand...bonus!

Posted by Lisa at May 29, 2008 4:14 PM

I don't like the way "Modesty Suit Girl" is looking at me, all lusty-like. Look at her - kicking her heel up like she's shy...wait, I think I partied with her in high school.

Posted by Jill at May 29, 2008 5:07 PM

Last time I went shopping for a swimsuit I ended up in tears, calling my mom from the dressing room, begging her to look up the number for Bob's Burka Barn.
I just seems like the PERFECT answer, doesn't it?

Posted by Kira at May 29, 2008 5:45 PM

I could have used that suit at the beach last week... instead I'm peeling over about 2/3 of my body from sun burn! Seriously, no matter what you decide to wear for the photo op, wear sunscreen!! And yes, my butt is still not ready for prime time, but at 57, I've finally made peace with it... I can even go for my beach walks without a cover-up now, enjoying the way the breeze feels and not worrying about how my thighs look. Well, most of the time. Some habits die hard! Anyway, go for the jeans with white (or pastel) tops for the photo and have a great time! (my beach photos can be seen on my blog post from May 22 or so... not professional ones, just snapshots.)

Posted by Susan Cushman at May 29, 2008 6:54 PM

I have your mom and Beth beat, one month and 36 hours... you can borrow this if you want.

As for the beach picture I would make sure you have one shot taken where your are bent over with your butt facing the camera, then the next time your mom wants this done you have your own personal trump card. Heck get the whole family to turn butts up. Make sure you're all wearing printed panties.

Other than that, the kid plan definately works.

Posted by Cele at May 30, 2008 1:28 AM

Even better butt-hiding picture strategy is to stand behind everyone else and just poke your face into the group between two contiguous shoulders, an arm draped around their respective owners. (This advice comes to you from a person who GAINED 15 lbs in 10 weeks on Weight Watchers. Not to discourage you or anything.)

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at May 30, 2008 2:23 AM

At 42, I am ALL ABOUT the Modesty Suit. Looks great to me.

Here's another one of those blog reviews ... I should have sent you the link at the time.

Posted by TrudyJ at May 30, 2008 5:45 AM

Hee hee Kalynne, I'd probably gain on WW too, since I'm the weirdo who LOST weight when I was pregnant, then GAINED it all back while nursing!

It's sad that I WANT a swimsuit with that much coverage. But theirs makes the model look FATTER, not slimmer. Plus who knows what religious lists I'd end up on if I ordered such a thing.

Posted by Brigitte at May 30, 2008 5:47 AM

I have gone the opposite route in bathing suit wear. After years of fretting over my big white whole self and trying to cover it with every style on the planet, I have given up. I have decided to own the fat. SO...I went out and bought two of the teensiest bikinis I could find. My husband is thrilled and so far no one has run screaming away from me at the pool. And my friends? Two have them have been inspired by my bravery and started wearing bikinis too! I am naked for humanity!! Love me love my flab!! Join us!

But I'll admit I like Sara's plan for the photo.

Posted by Amy-Go at May 30, 2008 10:12 AM

Two of them...not two have them. Proofread much? Not I.

Posted by Amy-Go at May 30, 2008 10:14 AM

That Sara is a smart one - and you have TWO kids to stand behind - tall enough to cover your butt but not so tall they cover YOU. Killer highlights are always a good thing.

My mom and my sister started WW online in January and have lots bunches of weight. Like you, they were not overweight but prefer the bottom of the range, with all its cute clothes, to the top.

Posted by JenniferG at May 30, 2008 12:26 PM

Hey,

I noticed this listing of great reviews for Girl, and I thought I'd send you a link to the review I wrote on my blog: http://www.redroomlibrary.com/2008/04/girl-who-stopped-swimming.html

I also put in a plug for your blog because I love it and whenever I'm having a bad day, I just tune in to Faster than Kudzu, have a laugh, and get cheered up.

Looking forward to seeing you at GABB!

Posted by Sarah at May 30, 2008 3:12 PM