Comments: Monsters of the Golf and Polish Varieties

Been awhile since I spat coffee all over my keyboard! Thanks for starting my morning right.

Posted by Amy-Go at May 27, 2008 9:27 AM

According to the Polish guy in my office (I swear, I'm the only native-born American here!), it's pronounced "Bo-go-vee-ah Al-ah-bah-me"

Said with a good thick Slavic accent, it's almost as good as your version!

Posted by Beth at May 27, 2008 9:30 AM

Hi Joshlyn,

I'm a big fan of yours and am POLISH! Of course, I've read you in English but want to let you know how to pronounce the title of Between Georgia properly...

BOGOWIE--BOG-OH-VYEH
ALABAMY- ALAH-BAM-EH

Looking forward to reading it in translation and will pass it along to my POLISH mama who will adore it!

Congratulations,
Ziggy

Posted by Ziggy at May 27, 2008 10:04 AM

Just realized, because I wrote my comment at work in the midst of chaos, that I put down Between Georgia and meant GODS IN ALABAMA...am losing my mind...

Z

Posted by Ziggy at May 27, 2008 10:07 AM

Speaking of Patrick Dempsey, that may be the SECOND most random sighting of him I have seen. The first being on the cover of a FISHING MAGAZINE. Wha-?

Posted by Jess at May 27, 2008 10:53 AM

I'm convinced that GI Joe with the scar is why Tommy Flanagan has always occupied a soft spot in my heart.;-0

Posted by Sabra at May 27, 2008 11:50 AM

Oh, I also stole my brother's GI Joes to marry my Barbies. (My parents wouldn't buy me a Ken for some unfathomable reason) My brother would descend upon the wedding and scream at me. "GI Joe can't get married!! He has to go to war!!" I thought Joe might need a little love at home.

Posted by Jo at May 27, 2008 12:04 PM

I refuse to play any sort of golf because my husband cheats the same way.

Oh, and that was hilarious about the Dud Honeymoon Ken Doll.

Posted by Alison at May 27, 2008 1:34 PM

HEE! That's awesome!

Posted by inkgrrl at May 27, 2008 1:46 PM

i thought ziggy's first comment was some sort of polish joke, but the second comment cleared that up. brain cloud.....we all get it.
i want to know how the dentist visit went. if you had known the bogowie alabamy grrrrr thing, you could have tried it out to keep the dentist at bay. maybe next time!

Posted by dramamama at May 27, 2008 8:06 PM

Bogowie Alabamy almost sounds like a greeting or blessing from the LOVE GURU, like him running around saying Mariska Hargitay. Anyhoo, Congrats!!

Posted by Heather at May 27, 2008 9:12 PM

I still think of Patrick Dempsey as the nerdy guy from Can't Buy Me Love back in the '80's.

My family would LOVE that mini-golf place. (And we would all cheat shamelessly.) One of our ideas for a future big ol' family (as in extended family) vacation involves starting at one end of Pigeon Forge and hitting every deliciously tacky miniature golf course from there through Gatlinburg. And then we would go back to whatever cabin we'd rented and drink mojitos while singing bad karaoke to each other. Yes, we are that lame.

I like the way you say the Polish title better than the real thing. It sounds like a voodoo chant!

Posted by DebR at May 27, 2008 10:46 PM

"Bogowie" is begging to be entered into my GPS. I think you should use it as the name of your next fictional Alabama town.

Posted by Kalynne Pudner at May 27, 2008 11:53 PM

Gee, I suffered through "Can't Buy me Love" way back when just so I could look at the already-cute Patrick Dempsey.

I think Scott's "McPervy" is hilariously funny!

Posted by Brigitte at May 28, 2008 8:06 AM

Well...McPervy DOES look like one of those guys from the soap opera's that sleeps with everyone except and well maybe the family dog.

Grats on the Book in Poland!! Is there a song about it? I bet it would make a great song.

Posted by Lia at May 29, 2008 1:35 PM

I used to come home from school to find that my little brother had been playing with Barbie and G.I. Joe and that they were doing the nasty inside the Barbie Dream House. And occasionally in Joe's jeep.

Posted by Cindy at June 2, 2008 12:53 AM