Comments: The To Didn’t List, part 3

On our way to the land of crazy expensive mouse (disney world) in Feb, we passed the sign for CRIME AND PUNISHMENT museum. I laughed so hard & begged to go. My husband of course thought I'd lost my mind. He just didn't understand!

Posted by Desi at May 2, 2008 9:29 AM

I love the devil sign on I-65. This is a newer version, there used to also be a devil figure cut-out. It was taken down for a while, presumably for refurbishment and I missed seeing it. Apparently I need that reminder!

Posted by Deborah P at May 2, 2008 9:59 AM

On US 72, somewhere north of Tuscumbia (or Florence), AL there is a green state-issued road sign that points out the "Coon Dog Cemetery". Only in Alabama......

Posted by Gary at May 2, 2008 10:38 AM

I go by the "Coon Dog Cemetery" EVERY YEAR!

Also? This sounds like my "typical" business trips. The places I go - and the "amenities" I can enjoy. Yay Cotton Industry!

Posted by Mittany at May 2, 2008 11:55 AM

To quote Paul Harvey..."It's not one world."

somehow I am strangely glad for that little tidbit.

Posted by Cele at May 2, 2008 12:21 PM

I used to drive by Warthen many times and always wanted to turn off and see the old jail. But was always going on business so couldn't. Very jealous.

Posted by Jessica at May 2, 2008 12:30 PM

You must tell your friends to please add the "famous" Ice Machine Museum in Apalachicola, FL. It is dedicated to the man who invented air conditioning...and don't we all need to bow down to his memory! We saw the Towing & Recovery Museum in Chattanooga last year and were surprised to find the "International" in the title, too. We thought it was full of the brand name "International" trucks, one of which we own! I let the husband take in the kids to that museum and saved the 10 bucks on my entry fee. Oh, I hope they have fun!

Posted by Elise at May 2, 2008 12:35 PM

LOL!! Can't wait to read all about it!

Posted by Tammy at May 2, 2008 3:22 PM

The Bloodstained Crypt of Little Nina Craigmiles.

This makes me very happy.

Posted by rams at May 2, 2008 3:23 PM

Seeing how I wasn't familiar with little Nina Craigmiles, I had to google her. Which made me think of something to add: The grave of little JonBenet Ramsey, also in an Episcopal cemetery (St. James, but not at the church -- down the road about half a mile, from when the church used to own half of downtown Marietta....) She's buried next to her dead sister...

Posted by dramamama at May 2, 2008 4:08 PM

Hey! That sign's been repainted! I don't know, it seems maybe too snazzy now. I never noticed the little water wheel, but I've always been driving at high speeds past.

(I'm in Oakland now, but not the cemetary. Just California.)

Posted by Gwen at May 2, 2008 6:15 PM

A whole rhino? Well, that's better than just isolated bits. I think.

Posted by Fran at May 3, 2008 12:41 AM

Holy smokes!

Posted by aka nik at May 3, 2008 4:42 AM

Yes, the Go to Church sign is legit. About 20 miles north, they can also see a HUGE confederate flag. And seriously, a wax museum would suit their tastes as well. Ever been to a wax museum? They're CREEPY.

Posted by Stephanie at May 3, 2008 8:31 AM

They totally need to publish a book of their travels (with lots of photos) afterward!! They could make a career of it - do one for each state!

It's got me trying to remember what bizarro things there are in Kentucky in case they want to come this way. :-)

If they ever do a Wisconsin tour, they MUST go to the House on the Rock. Hands-down the most whacked-out place I've ever been. (It was used as a scene in Neil Gaiman's book "American Gods" which I loved!).

Posted by DebR at May 3, 2008 9:32 AM

DebR....This is the place that always cracked me up when I saw the sign in Kentucky:

Big Bone Lick State Park FTW!!!!!

Gary

Posted by Gary at May 5, 2008 11:29 AM

Gwen, as a fellow Californian-er, I think you have to help me drag these guys out here for a weekend at the Madonna Inn, someday.

It is the all-time wonder-palace of kitsch, IMHO.

Posted by Cornelia Read at May 5, 2008 10:27 PM