Comments: Love Letter

Okay, I read that sentence as "before the bugs come and eat us and brush my teeth and make the bed" and was completely FREAKED out by the thought of bugs brushing your teeth, but then if they'll make the bed that would be okay, right? And maybe they're Mir's clean bugs?

Posted by Leandra at April 22, 2008 9:59 AM

HEE. Mars needs punctuation.
Mars is tired.
FIxed.

J

Posted by joshilyn at April 22, 2008 10:03 AM

Boom de ah da. Thanks for the video!

Posted by Aimee at April 22, 2008 10:48 AM

I cannot get You Tube at my school. . .it is banned. But I need some hope for the human race, so as SOON as I get home, I will watch it and have something wonderfully profound to say regarding it. . .or not. :)

Posted by Roxanne at April 22, 2008 11:22 AM

And after reading your friend's blog about mankind plastering graffiti on antiquity AFTER ripping it up out of the ground, I really need your lovey-dovey video. At least, I hope it's lovey-dovey. Either that or a large Diet Coke will do.

Posted by Roxanne at April 22, 2008 11:26 AM

Well --The graffitti happened hundreds of years ago, BEFORE it was ripped out of the ground. And the ripping it up part was GOOD, because the river had risen and it was being destroyed. SO they ripped it out and moved it to save it.

Posted by joshilyn at April 22, 2008 11:35 AM

Thank you. I think I shall save that video and watch it on days when I need some perspective.

Posted by Marleigh at April 22, 2008 11:46 AM

I think that your husband was trying to say that all these things and more is how he feels about YOU! It's nice to feel that way about humanity in general, but I think he is directing it at YOU specifically - which should make you even more weepy. (just my thoughts)

Posted by Becky at April 22, 2008 12:19 PM

Cool video! The giant squids were my favorite part. But just on the SCREEN, not in real life. *shudder*

Posted by Alison at April 22, 2008 12:47 PM

I do love that video. unfortunately there is a lot of Discovery channel at my house and they seem to be over playing it. I spend most of my attention on it now trying to figure how they made it, to find the computerization in it. I'm just not that sentimental after the first few viewings.

Posted by elizabeth at April 22, 2008 12:48 PM

Cool video; Gary loves the guy from Dirty Jobs. Kathleena d I wiil see you Thursday at BAM in PTC.

Posted by KimWiggins at April 22, 2008 2:01 PM

I love the whole world and Cash Cab. I am ADDICTED to that show, and Ben Bailey the host is about 10 kinds of adorable. That is the only time I really watch Discovery. They have been running that commercial and I have had that boom dee ah dah thing stuck in my head for days, so it was funny to see you blog about it.

I understand what you mean about the feeling it gives you. It is that kid of backing up, panning out and looking at the big picture (swelling music on the soundtrack, natch) feeling. Plus the boom dee ah dah gives it just a splash of silliness, which is a good thing in my opinion.

Personally I hold onto my hope for the human race with both hands, despite any and all evidence to the contrary (and this from an attorney!) because I can't bear not to, and I can't bear to raise my children if I don't hold onto that hope.

- Jill

P.S.- Thanks for the advice about my trip to Italy. You were right-- I was a wreck, but my 3 year old was fine back at home. Of course she spent the trip in a constant fiesta of grandparental adoration, so that helped.

Posted by Jill at April 22, 2008 2:16 PM

When they said, "It kinda makes you want to break into song" I was entirely SURE I was getting rickrolled.

I LOVE ARACHNIDS!
I LOVE THE GIANT SQUID! <------Okay, true about the squid; not so true about the arachnids.

Posted by Sara at April 22, 2008 2:28 PM

When the guy shoots the thing in to the house my son said "Oh! That's what I love!" followed shortly thereafter by "Did he say 'I love my big butt'?"

Awesome. I'm going to be singing Boom de ah da from now on.

Posted by Heather Cook at April 22, 2008 2:47 PM

I am a guy. I am inarticulate when it comes to explaining how I feel. That's just a simple fact of nature. (Somewhere in the back of my head Forest Whittaker is whispering "I can't help it. It's my nature.")

It's very difficult to find a way to explain my passions for things like the state of evolutionary biology, cosmology and string theory to anyone who doesn't care to dwell on such things. Who can blame them, though, as so much of the literature is SO dry?

I saw this video and it absolutely nailed how I feel, but expressed it in a completely different manner and almost nothing was lost in that translation. Brilliant.

This wasn't a letter about how I feel about my wife, it was an opportunity to share a corner of myself that is often hard to share. It was a love letter to my wife, no about her.

Posted by Mr. Husband at April 22, 2008 2:51 PM

I don't know, Mr. Husband, that comment was pretty darn articulate...

Posted by Jill at April 22, 2008 2:59 PM

Well, don't tell anyone, but the first time I saw the video on TDC, I got all hoo-hooey. I absolutely HEART the vid, no matter how many x's they play it.

And Mr. Husband, I concur with the other Jill! Pretty darn articulate is right! And it was also...okay, I'll use a word I never use: romantic. I'm just sayin'. Thanks for posting that, JJ. Now I don't have to search for it on YT.

Posted by Joshilyn's Other Jill at April 22, 2008 3:55 PM

Indeed. . .the world is pretty awesome, even with graffiti and temple threatening floods and the like. :) Amazing. The thing that always gets me teary is the photo of earthrise as seen from the moon.

Posted by Roxanne at April 22, 2008 7:42 PM

I really wanted the greasily repulsive guy who was fondling the giant, hairy, repulsive spider to fall into the hot magma (along with said spider) and I will TOTALLY blame both the guy and the spider if I have horrendous nightmares tonight, but other than that it was a very heart-warm-y video. I'm glad you posted it.

Posted by DebR at April 22, 2008 10:35 PM

Is it bad if my favorite part was the one mythbuster setting the other mythbuster on fire? Maybe I'm deader inside than I thought...

Posted by Amy-Go at April 23, 2008 2:37 PM