Comments: In Which We Time Travel Forward, Directly to Rabbits

Oh, Joss. I am so sorry you and Maisy had to go through that. That is the worst when your child is in pain and you have to do what you know is best long term when all you really want to do is spare her any pain at all. I feel for you. I had to go through that with my daughter, Harper (now 3) when she was smaller and had a kidney problem that required invasive tests every 6 months or so. Thank God she has outgrown the problem. That was the worst feeling in the world!

Happy Easter-- I don't blame you one bit for celebrating early. I am so happy that Maisy is ok and making the best of the situation.

Congrats on the great reviews! I am patiently waiting until after the virtual signing to receive my copy of TGWSS and consoling myself in the meantime by reading Dallas Hudgens "Drive Like Hell" as per your recommendation who knows how long ago on this blog. I am loving it.

Posted by Jill at March 3, 2008 6:37 PM

Oh my goodness! Ah, yes, the screams and pitiful sobbings. Are they still echoing in your ears?

My three year old fell UP a flight of stairs the other week and knocked one tooth out and broke the other (baby) at the root, so time will tell if it's a goner or not...and yes, I STILL hear the wailings.

Pass the wine over here, would'ja? Just a little bit?

TGWSS is going to be phenomenal. Just you wait.

Posted by daysgoby at March 3, 2008 7:55 PM

Oh, no! I can't imagine how scary that must have been, and then to have to hold her down while she was hurting and terrified. You deserve all the wine and chocolate you can find.

Posted by Caryn at March 3, 2008 8:10 PM

Drink up girl! I stopped giving up wine for Lent a few years ago. Just don't drink so much that you forget to notify the tooth-fairy of the situation. Boy, that sounds like a $10 bill to me, poor baby... :)

Posted by JulieB at March 3, 2008 8:33 PM

So sorry about the spill.

Hope Easter is good to you.

Posted by Lisa Milton at March 3, 2008 8:54 PM

I'm sorry but I had a hard time reading anything after Maisy's day (and yours). Teeth, ugh. I don't know what will happen if I ever am asked to help my child through a dental procedure, especially a pulling and God help me, especially if my baby is begging me to make it stop. I mean, I will do it but they would have to retire my mommy number right then and there at an elaborate ceremony with many celebrity cameo appearances. That is what needs to happen for you today. That plus wine. Considering the circumstances, I think Maisy deserves just a sip as well. Then pass the glass this way because I have to go recover from imagining all of that.

I will come back tomorrow to read about the launch anxiety. Now, I have to go pad my bannisters.

Posted by Em at March 3, 2008 9:30 PM

My mother had to hold me down at age 5 for stitches in my chin, because the nurse was not available. An unfortunate bicycle accident when I was just learning, and disobeyed my mother and ended up running into a parked car, flinging me onto the driveway chin-first. I still remember it, but I was more mad at the doctor than my mother, if that helps.

And by the way, did they not give her something to numb it before they yanked out the fragments? Sheesh.

Motherhood is hard. But, as you say, the best job on earth.

Posted by Gail at March 3, 2008 9:41 PM

You have my sympathy, sweet Peach! My son had a different problem, but there's nothing, not a thing in the world, to ease the pain of a child sobbing, "It hurts! Why does it have to hurt so bad?"

Wine and Chocolate and Vividly Splendiferous Reviews must ALL be yours!

Posted by Fran at March 3, 2008 10:51 PM

OMGosh, did you forget to mention this little tidbit yesterday? Or was this after? I'm so sorry. :(

I've had to hold down both of my kids on different occasions so that someone else could hurt them in the name of "helping." Awful. AWFUL. Yes, Lent is over. You can have a vat of wine AND feel free to just unwrap the bunnies and eat all the ears and leave the rest. You earned it.

Posted by Mir at March 4, 2008 6:45 AM

Oh, Holy Moses. Two words: popcorn kernal in the ear. Er, wait, that was more than two words, maybe. I think I'm still a little traumatized from when I had to hold my small boy child down as the doctor dug and dug and dug at what he thought was a lump of wax, but turned out to be a popcorn kernal with the pointy end situated against the boy's eardrum, NINE YEARS AGO.

Anyhoo, I'm so glad Maisy is okay/better now and I'm sure the Tooth Fairy brought her a pony or something equally fantastic.

He is risen! Pass the pinot!

Posted by Badger at March 4, 2008 8:45 AM

Hey yo, Colorado invites you to add us to your tour! :D

Posted by Angela Klocke at March 4, 2008 9:36 AM

Big warm happy thoughts and chocolate bunnies to you and Maisy. I agree, Lent is over (you're more than halfway anyway) - pour the wine and feel better.

I had your visit to the Bookstall in Winnetka, IL on my calendar forever and now I am being sent out of town for work that day, darn. So I pre-ordered a copy at your virtual signing, yay.

Posted by JenniferG at March 4, 2008 10:01 AM

OH TULIP! Poor, poor Maisy. I'm so sorry that happened to both of you. Absolutely break out the wine. Although I think I would be reaching for the tequila, myself.

Am I terribly wrong to say I think Maisy would be ridiculously adorable with a gap in her smile and want a picture? Probably I am.

I SAW that review in EW and SQUEEEEEED all around the house for you! Do you know you outscored both Jodi Picoult and Anne Rice in that issue? NICE.

Did you see the punchline to Kevin's Google riddle? I snorted. A LOT.

HAPPY NEW BOOK DAY!!

Posted by Amy-Go at March 4, 2008 10:18 AM

Poor Maisy (and you)! Yes, definitely pass the wine and some dark chocolate, please!

Alas, book tour: You go to my beloved hometown Powell's in Portland, OR but not near Philly, where I am now. Oh well...at least I have my very own copy of TGWSS upstairs, untouched, waiting for our cruise in 19 days.

Posted by Andrea at March 4, 2008 10:35 AM

Oh nooooo.... poor Maisy! Poor you! Pour the wine. (see how that works?)

Congrats on all the wonderful reviews though. Was that in last week's EW? I have it at home but haven't even had a chance to read it yet. I will go home and read it and cast it in bronze.

Posted by Aimee at March 4, 2008 10:39 AM

Congratulations on the new book. I have been waiting a long time for it to come out and can't wait to get my hands on it.

Enjoy your wine and your chocolate! A

Posted by Angela Jackson-Brown at March 4, 2008 11:05 AM

So, so sorry. I don't think there's a mom who doesn't sympathize. I'm always the one holding my children down for blood lead tests, which are supposed to be done here every year from age one to six. I'd rather they be held down by someone who loves them, who is gently singing to them, than by a strange phlebotomist. They always ask, "Are you strong enough to do this? You can't let him move." And I say yes, I am. We mothers, we are strong. Pour that wine. You deserve it.

And congratulations on the great reviews! I am impatiently awaiting my pre-ordered virtual booksigning copy.

Posted by amy at March 4, 2008 11:30 AM

wowsa! poor Maisy, wine and chocolates, all around. hardest, bestest job ever.

saw TGWSS at BnN over the weekend. made me smile 'cause I've read it and love, love, loved it.

Posted by elizabeth at March 4, 2008 12:10 PM

You are coming to BOSTON! Hooray, do you allow pictures of yourself with fans??

Posted by parrotzmom at March 4, 2008 1:13 PM

Poor Miss Maisy!!
I don't blame you one bit for celebrating Easter early! I think the Lord would understand!
I just looked at the link to the Mitchell house and I am DYING!! I seriously may have to MOVE to the ATL area so I can participate in their wonderful activities!!
Good luck and break a leg today!

Posted by Heather at March 4, 2008 2:17 PM

I'm shaking along with you in sympathy.

I had to hold down my 3 year old once and straighten his two front teeth that pointed into his mouth at a very sickening angle. He ran straight into a glass table top. I still remember the screams and the blood and the shaking, me shaking, not him, he was better after ice cream.

Pass the wine would you?

Posted by carrien at March 4, 2008 3:59 PM

Poor Maisy, Poor Poor You!! She'll get over the trauma way before you do, even with the vat of wine.

I saw the EW review today, so happy for you! (minus my a--, should be a PLUS!) I can't wait to see you on tour next week at a bookstore that's really NOT so near ... so it better not snow. Dress warm! ;)

Posted by Patti at March 4, 2008 6:39 PM

oh, the terror. thank God Maisy's okay. and I have a big bag of nice chewy cardboard paper towel rolls for you on Friday!

Posted by Elena at March 4, 2008 9:12 PM

just to clarify, I know that YOU will not chew them, but perhaps Cosy et al will enjoy.

Posted by Elena at March 4, 2008 9:13 PM

I just finished TGWSS. . .and I pause here to wave back. Howdy. Great book as USUAL. Can't wait to read Rose's story next.

Posted by Roxanne at March 4, 2008 11:35 PM

ACK to Maisy's accident and the aftermath!!! I'm so glad she's ok now - and that it's after Lent so you can have your wine and choccies.

YAY for the A grade!!!

PS...if you drop the minus sign, you only need to tattoo it on your forehead once, since A looks the same frontward and backward. :-)

Posted by DebR at March 5, 2008 6:41 AM

Then people wonder why I just LAUGH when they ask when we're having kids.

You made it a whole month, Joss; that's better than I'd have done! And, yay, book launch. It'll be super. :)

Posted by Jess at March 5, 2008 8:21 AM

Any chance you might mosey on over to the Lone Star State (Texas for those who are ignernt) for a book signing? We want to meet you, but cannot afford the air fare, and I'd drive to Atlanta but can find no one brave enough to share my adventure. Pfft!

Please come to Texas in the springtime . . .

Posted by Gail at March 5, 2008 10:30 AM