Comments: Valentines: a Love Story

Great story!

Posted by Jill at February 17, 2008 5:14 PM

Wonderful story! I have to say, when put like it was on the flowers vs. homeless child card, it's kinda hard to say no to the child. Still, she can always ask him that any time he wants to eat out or buy something that she disapproves of.

Posted by Caryn at February 17, 2008 6:46 PM

Fabulous story!

My husband works retail every Thursday night. On his way out, he checks his voicemail, and then proceeds to TELL ME what it said. "Hey! Work said I don't have to come in!" Pause. Me: "you're going anyway, aren't you?" Him: ....

So I went to do laundry as his parents's house, from whom he apparently inherited his lack of romanticness, since they didn't mind at ALL that I did this. I tell them I am going to CLOCK their son for his insensitivity.

An hour later he comes home and surprises me, saying he just wanted to check with work to make sure it was okay since he hadn't called them back, and then he thanks his MOM for not telling me he was coming back! *jaw, meet floor* I apologize for my earlier comment, and his dad says, "You should still clock him. Want me to hold him down?"

See? Completely unromantic. :D

Posted by Jess at February 17, 2008 8:47 PM

You are a great sister-in-law!! This is too funny!

Posted by Heather at February 17, 2008 9:28 PM

Aww. I can't get my Valentine to understand the allure of flowers either. Maybe flowers are like scratching fingernails on a chalkboard to "practical" men? I dunno. I want pretty flowers. Good for you for sending them.

Posted by aka nik at February 18, 2008 3:51 AM

We're so lame that we BOTH forgot Valentine's Day until the last second, and it's our anniversary too. :-(

Your brother sounds great, except for the wanting-to-grow-a-beard thing: they immediately absorb the smell of what you're eating (if not the fallen actual bits of food), thereby making the man completely unkissable until he's had a full beard wash n' dry.

Posted by Brigitte at February 18, 2008 7:19 AM

Your family is FUN! And although we are very low-key about Valentine's Day, we do exchange cards and small gifts. It's much more important to me to love well and be loved well every day, so I don't care about the grand gesture so much.

As for flowers: I'm on the practical side, although I do like a few surprise flowers now and then. Valentine's Day 2002 I had a 2 1/2 month old newborn who'd been colicky and plagued by intestinal ailments for two months by that point. My husband gave me flowers. "I don't want FLOWERS!" I nearly cried. "Clean the house! That would be a great Valentine's present!" (Do I even need to explain the postpartum mess I was in?) It was over FIVE YEARS before he brought me flowers again.

Posted by amy at February 18, 2008 8:42 AM

I heart your family, Joss. :-)

To Bobby: From one pragmatist to another, might I suggest a live, potted flowering plant for next Valentine's Day? (You can get potted spring bulbs like hyacinths or tulips, or shrubby things like hydrangeas.) It still looks all blooming and pretty and romantic, but in the spring it can be planted outside where it comes back year after year, putting lovely oxygen back into the atmosphere and reminding your true love of your gift every time she sees it. Just sayin'....

Now how about someone forward this to my husband, who didn't get me a potted plant OR decaying plant genitals OR a donation to the homeless!!! :-/

Posted by DebR at February 18, 2008 8:59 AM

Oh, I love this post. I have been on an internet fast this weekend, and I cheated, stopping by here. So glad I did.

And your family is so charming...

Posted by Lisa Milton at February 18, 2008 11:45 AM

Oh, that's fabulous!
I hope he gave to charity *and* bought flowers...

Posted by diane at February 18, 2008 12:47 PM

I find flowers charming but less edible than chocolate, myself...

Posted by Amy-Go at February 18, 2008 3:34 PM

i got four small golden monkeys. see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil and have no fun -- which around here stands for my blind-as-a-bat daughter, my other daughter (who we WISH would speak no evil), my deaf-boy husband and ME! How's that for romantic?

Posted by dramamama at February 18, 2008 7:03 PM

Hmmm...your brother sounds very much like mine, who also experience his own divine intervention in the form of my new sister-in-law.

Oddly enough, we also have sort of a crazy farm plan.

Posted by jessica at February 20, 2008 11:24 PM