Comments: 3Q with Colleen Thompson

I am a HUGE fan of Dennis Lehane, and this is not the first time I've heard him mentioned in the same breath with Michael Connelly (in face, Lehane himself speaks highly of Connelly). Maybe I've just read the wrong books, but I'm not feeling it with Connelly. Can you, Jos, or your interviewee, recommend specific books of Connelly's? I want to fall in love, I really do! Lehane's not writing fast enough to keep me stoked.

Posted by RuthWells at January 3, 2008 5:03 PM

(An arachnophobe raises her hand) - the book sounds really good, but I'd have to put something over that cover. (I shuddered when I saw it pop up on the screen...seriously!)

Posted by DebR at January 3, 2008 9:50 PM

Ruth, read "The Poet" by Connelly. It's really good, and will give you a feel for his writing. It's not a Bosch, and it's excellent.

Good luck on the furniture, Peach! I hope you're going to be sleeping on your brand new bed any minute now!

Posted by Fran at January 3, 2008 10:43 PM

Maybe I'll have to read it just because my own sister lives in southern AZ, and I have no clue what would make her want to do that - maybe it would give me some insight!

Posted by Brigitte at January 4, 2008 5:20 AM

Thanks, Fran -- I've actually read "The Poet" and it's the best of the bunch I've read of his. I found "Blood Work" to be okay but not great, and "Chasing the Dime" was just dreadful and formulaic, IMHO. Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

Posted by RuthWells at January 4, 2008 10:04 AM

Setting and place are wonderful additional characters in a novel - I've requested several of CT's from the library to try them.

Good luck with the furniture! No step in this process is going to be trouble-free, apparently - I'm sure the final result will be very gratifying, though!

Posted by Diane (TT) at January 4, 2008 2:02 PM

Really? Oh I Adore Connelly -- he's such a talent. Most recently, I REALLY enjoyed THE LINCOLN LAWYER. I have a triumverate of manly gunplay guys and I never miss a book -- Connelly and yes of COURSE LeHane (Go Irish!) and then Lee Child. (Reacher Forever! Viva La Reacher! YOU DO NOT MESS WITH THE SPECIAL INVESTIGATORS!)

I do not READ Harry Bosch novels because I SO love the actor who does the audio version, so I listen to them----try Harry in that format maybe? They are the kind of audiobooks that can keep you awake and interested on a long drive.

Posted by Joshilyn at January 5, 2008 3:19 PM