Comments: A Minor Christmas Tragedy, But Mostly Triumph

I just have to say I am fifty (uh--two)but I only admit to 48 and at last years new years eve party my kids introduced me to guitar hero. We all played - young and very old. It was probably the best party ever. As the young actually enjoyed laughing at the more mature of us. We are looking forward to another party this year when we can all play something together. FYI - Guitar hero is much easier to play after a few drinks.

Posted by Cathi at December 27, 2007 10:01 PM

Don't know about guitar hero BUT I have achieved pro status on the Wii bowling game. There are many more games than Mario that a person above, um 25, would enjoy. The tennis game is a good way to get exercise and you only have to run in a 5 ft by 5 ft square! The game Smarty Pants has got a little physical exercise beside the mental exercise. What is exasperating about that is - - my eleven year old grandson beat me! BUT BUT BUT he is a better shot in the arcade that sets the amount of the winnings for correct questions. My category always got 50 pts. HIS got 2,000! And I DID tell him some of the answers to his questions. Especially in the "books" category. (tee hee)

Posted by Rhonda at December 27, 2007 11:29 PM

Huzzah! I have been trumpeting the joys of video games far and wide since my beloved husband bought me a PS3 for Christmas and my parents continued the consumer joy with Rock Band. My new favoritest Christmas memory is now the thought of my mom, collapsing in hysterical giggles as she attempted to sing "Mississippi Queen" with all the microphone-bashing-tambourine-emulating that entailed. Good times...I highly recommend it! (Mom provided upon request)

Posted by ellbee at December 28, 2007 12:03 AM

I love the Svetlinka/Yeti image, it makes me think of how my husband can ululate mournfully just like Chewbacca (yes, a very special talent, I know).

I was born a fuddy duddy, at least about some stuff. As long as you keep the 10-year-old-boy sense of humor, you're probably still OK.

Our germs at least waited until after Christmas, but they've taken our appetites. We are usually piggies, and aren't used to this turn of events. I will have to freeze all those yummy leftovers before they go to waste. If only we'd get all better EXCEPT for the appetites, then we'd be all set for the usual New Year's resolutions.

Posted by Brigitte at December 28, 2007 5:22 AM

Love me some guitar hero. But then, I'm twenty-two and musically inclined. Although, clasical-musically inclined, so I don't actually know any of the songs except for Metallica. *shrug*

I'm fuddy about most OTHER video games. Sure, they LOOK cool, but I am uncoordinated. So I just WATCH the husband play them. Now that, that is kinda lame. (Twilight Princess on the Wii is amazing.)

I'm in awe of your ability to have a joyous holiday and be Sicky. I am so glad there was no sick to be had here in Philly or I'd have been a goner. For sure. :D

Posted by Jess at December 28, 2007 9:33 AM

Since when are Aragorn's naughty bits a thing to complain of?

Posted by TrudyJ at December 28, 2007 9:37 AM

Um, WORD, TrudyJ. It's not like we're talking about Harvey Keitel's naughty bits, which he flaunted so brazenly in SO many movies in the 90s. This is ARAGORN. Nuff said.

Posted by Aimee at December 28, 2007 10:50 AM

I'm a pretty big fuddy duddy with video games too... i'm too uncoordinated to press a button AND strum for guitar hero... and don't even get me started on rock band...but the Wii...now the Wii is fun! Besides having super cool games like Wii Sports, Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (which is multiplayer so the WHOLE family can play along with their little Miis) and of course the BEST game EVER Super Paper Mario, you can download old style video games too. And upload photos, and take these worldwide survey things. Really I think you'll lose all the duddy and enjoy the Wiii (and making a Mii really is a lot of fun).

Glad you had a Merry Christmas (my family had that 24 hour thing too, bleh)

Amanda

Posted by Amanda at December 28, 2007 12:04 PM

I grew up in the world of video gaming, and I have tried to participate on some level since I was little - I had an Atari, and bunches of games, and I played King's Quest on our Tandy computer, and I had a Super NES. And I was never good at it, and I liked to watch people play Super Mario World a lot better than I liked to play it myself because I SUCKED at it. Then. The world of video games started to change. It began with Dance Dance Revolution. I bought a PS2 for the sole reason of playing DDR. Good exercise, and it's dancing so it's FUN! Then came Guitar Hero. My husband and I bought it one day and played for 6 hours straight without realizing it. And then we bought a DS - you know, the new Game Boy thingie from Nintendo with the stylus your use to write things and point to things on the screen, and we play it constantly. And then we bought a Wii, and we are now really and truly offical video game addicts. I cannot WAIT until Wii Fit is available in the US; in the meantime, we're enjoying Wii Sports and Super Mario Galaxy a lot and some other stuff too! I highly recommend you get over your fear of GH, though, because it is SO MUCH FUN. And you will definitely love the Wii.

Posted by JenA at December 28, 2007 4:57 PM

This has nothing to do with video games or the holiday heaves... but my mom told me that I would have to wait until March 4 for one of my Christmas gifts. She said it wasn't ready yet. Then she told me it was a book. Then she told me the book is TGWSS! Can't wait!

Posted by Cheryl at December 29, 2007 5:56 PM

Um, I hate to say it, but ... my mother, alias "Grammy", rocks harder than my 12yo neice, who was the proud recipient of the guitar hero. (proud at least until Grammy rocked, that is).
Family Christmas is fun when generations cross their cool/fuddy duddy lines.

Posted by Patti at December 29, 2007 9:56 PM

Guitar hero ROCKS. I got booed off stage my first few times, but I swear I am going to kick serious @ss after a few more days. Plus, we got my dad on video giving it a shot--PRICELESS!!

Posted by Sara at December 29, 2007 10:37 PM

oooh. Tell Scott that GH for the Wii is a blast. We got our (kids a) Wii last year. I say it's for the kids. But really? Yeah, I love it too. I just don't let them know that. I usually play at night when they are all in bed. I love bowling. And tennis. And boxing. Now THAT one is a workout. One of the kids got GH for Christmas, and even I tried it out. Yes, I got booed off the stage. But it was fun. Of course, now every time I call home, I interrupt someone on GH. That's all they want to do. Who knew?

Posted by dee at December 30, 2007 3:30 PM

We also passed around the Florida version of the sickness which we've christened "The Christmas Crud." Except down here NO ONE was allowed to laze away on the couch because after all, this is FLORIDA and there are DISNEY parks to visit. We have annual passes and go all the time and even though we KNEW BETTER than to go to EPCOT on CHRISTMAS DAY. . . we did it anyway cuz by golly my son and his fiance wanted too. Even though we were all SICKY we dragged our butts down the highway to join lots of people at EPCOT. LOTS. OF. PEOPLE. Especially after they CLOSED down the entrance to The Magic Kingdom when the crowd capacity maxed out at 11:00 in the morning. (Oh yeah! I'm thinking THAT probably wrecked some kids Christmas's when they showed up and COULDN'T GET IN. Just sayin. And by the way for anybody out there who's dreamed of watching the Christmas Parade in PERSON in the Magic Kingdom on Christmas morning- don't do it!! The parade is taped (usually on the first Saturday in December) and all those happy looking people waving like mad up and down the street are guests of employees and alot of us annual passholders who sign up to be extras . . but you can just show up that day too and make it on camera if you're lucky. The musical numbers get taped all day Friday. ANYWAY- EPCOT is was for us and it kept our minds off being SICKY. Plus, my son gave us a Wii!! So between running to the Parks and trying to become masters of all things Wii, it was a dang fine Christmas with all of us pretending to be perfectly healthy . . .

Posted by JeanEva at December 30, 2007 6:21 PM

Dear Svetlinka,

Enjoy tennis on the Wii. Methinks you will find it to be similar to aimball, but I fervently anticipate the stories that we will hear from your adventures in videogaming.

Happy New Year,

erinanne

P.S. Please tell Joshilyn that I made fat potato fat fat casserole for Christmas dinner at church and it was recieved to much fanfare and applause. Particularly by me.

Posted by erinanne at December 30, 2007 11:10 PM

I have this embarrassment reflex that keeps me from doing things in public that might be potentially embarrassing. So I totally understand, it has nothing to do with fuddy meeting the old duddy.

And really his bits can stay hidden, because sometimes it's the thought that counts. Reality never meets expectation. Either that or why shoudl I see what I will never get. Mrs. Viggo, enjoy :)

Posted by Cele at December 31, 2007 8:40 PM