Comments: Pony-Keg. Not in that Order.

My husband swears that whenever I'm around my family that my accent thickens like molasses in winter. Whatever, he of the no-accent. I'd rather be country than nothing at all!

Posted by Leandra at December 10, 2007 9:56 AM

My husband being from Brooklyn and me being from Virginia, we had some accent/cultural differences. But let me just tell you how it made my heart smile for the first time to hear my husband say "y'all" for the first time. It rhymed with how he says "bawl" for "ball."

Priceless.

Posted by aka nik at December 10, 2007 10:11 AM

Writer's working week sounds awesome, especially blue drinks.

How scary is it that I am a girl from Boston, yet I don't know what the girls from Boston are saying these days? I need to get back for a visit, or I'll lose my Yankee cred.

Posted by Aimee at December 10, 2007 10:55 AM

wait a minute.. "bawl" and "ball" aren't pronounced the same???

Posted by Karen Abbott at December 10, 2007 11:02 AM

I'm with Karen, "bawl" and "ball" sound the same to me! Of course I was from Indiana and now I am hip deep in North Georgia about 45 minutes from Joshilyn. I was SO confused when we first moved south (to Birmingham) and the lovely people had to ask "paper or plastic" 4 times before my ears understood them.

Posted by Kristin at December 10, 2007 2:36 PM

Not only am I from a state with a bad rep for accents--Rhode Island--but I grew up in a town with a bad rep within the state. When I got to my own state university, I was mercilessly teased out of my accent, mostly by fellow Rho Dilanduhs. I went on to hold several nonformal education jobs and was complimented on my DICTION. I LOVED that evaluation form. I was teaching in a school heavy on ESL students and the teacher noted how my VERY GOOD DICTION made it so much easier on the students. *preen*

However. When I spend time around my family or go back to my hometown, I drop Rs, insert them where they don't belong, and generally come back sounding like an extra in a Matt Damon film. Tofu, indeed.

Posted by amy at December 10, 2007 5:12 PM

I have a mild southern accent. Since looking at Icanhascheezburger, I am now talking like those lolcats! k thx.

Posted by Rhonda at December 10, 2007 5:39 PM

If you and Bobby are still thinking about that silo, you'd better hurry. Jennifer Crusie is considering it now.

I thought writers would rather stimulate their creativity with beauty and nature rather than climb into a hole. On the other hand, a hole with blue cocktails may not be so bad.

Posted by Elizabeth at December 11, 2007 11:44 AM

I, too, am like tofu. Mostly I speak quite precisely - to the extent that sometimes people think I might be British. But sometimes the attitude occurs, and I sound a bit southern (I spent 3 years in MS). And, a couple of weeks ago, someone accused me of sounding like I was from Minnesota. What?! But I never EVER use that Philadelphianism for H2O. One of my closest friends (who has mostly managed to shed her accent) is from Philly, and I have to call her on it when she does that. And when she "lays down" instead of lying down. Because, really, there ARE limits!

Posted by Diane (TT) at December 11, 2007 6:38 PM

Enjoy the blue cocktails, the pretty horsies, and write us bunches of good words.

Posted by Cele at December 12, 2007 1:22 AM

It's called "Chameleonism" and it a very very good thing for a novelist to have- tell Ms. Philly Cheese Steak I said so. this is what lets you get in the heads of characters different from you- the sweet little thing from Georgia.

Gotta say, I almost wanted to tell you to "shut it" with a jealous heart at the mention of a writing weekend. Dude, I so need that.

Posted by linda at December 12, 2007 11:03 AM