Comments: Get-away Gardens

Awesome! I knew I would be good at that! It sounds like you had a great weekend.

Just for the information of anyone who reads your comments, there is also a butterfly place in Massachusetts (in Westford I think). I can't say I ever had the religious experience that Joshilyn had but it was beautiful and I was chasing three children trying to convince them not to pull the wings off of the butterflies. So I believe the strucken with God's lovliness part is possible, just leave your bratty kids (read: MY bratty kids) at home.

How, pray tell, did he match your authentic skeet shooting had to your authentic skeet shooting jacket?

Posted by Em at November 4, 2007 1:02 PM

I'm so happy you had a "Surprised by Joy" time with the butterflies, Joshilyn! I do like nature and often get joy there, but I also get it from some kinds of music. What a great description, though I'm sure your soul is much bigger than you give it credit for!

Thanks for sharing the Vinnie photo and description - not beautiful, but joyful in its happy-making ugliness and improbable weirdness.

Posted by Diane (TT) at November 4, 2007 1:58 PM

I love when C.S. Lewis kicks me in the nads. It's fabulous. It's interesting that BUGS gave you that experience. But go with what tickles your Lewis nads.

Posted by aka nik at November 4, 2007 2:06 PM

I think MAC should have a new line of lipgloss called "Skeet," and have you as the spokesmodel.

Posted by Cornelia Read at November 4, 2007 2:32 PM

Umm ... Joss? Butterflies ARE nature. I'm just sayin'.

Oh, and bad news. Rifles kick too (depends on the caliber).

You look great in the hat though! Where can we get one like it?

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at November 4, 2007 4:46 PM

Right. Butterflies are nature.

That's why I thought I would be unmoved...very surprising to be so NOT unmoved.

Posted by Joshilyn at November 4, 2007 5:13 PM

I am shocked, SHOCKED! that a textbook NPR listener like you would be shooting at such harmless creatures.

I guess it's time to make another donation to the Save the Skeets Foundation to battle such redneckery:

Posted by Ray at November 4, 2007 5:25 PM

I really like your authentic skeet-shooting sweater set! Very cute!!

Posted by DebR at November 4, 2007 6:55 PM

I love shooting skeet, mind you've I've done it a whole two times in my life, but I truly adored it.

I didn't have a religious experience at the Grand Canyon, but I did at Montezuma's Castle at Mesa Verde. I know what you mean.

Posted by Cele at November 4, 2007 7:22 PM

I have shot plenty of guns. . .but never at the clay pigeons. My daddy did though. . .and my job was to run out onto the shooting range when everyone was taking a break to locate the unshot ones that had not broken after plummeting to earth so we could stack 'em up and fling 'em again.

Good times.

And I much prefer rifles to shotguns. I'm bettin' you've got (or are in the process of getting) a lovely green bruise on your shoulder that does not match your autumnal sweater set in the least.

Posted by Roxanne at November 4, 2007 7:47 PM

There are butterfly exhibits up here, too. Hmm, used to be sometimes one in Providence, and seasonally one in Newport (both RI) and at the Boston Museum of Science when we were there in the spring. But we also have butterflies all over what we call the "scrubby" in our yard, the wetland setback we cannot touch because it borders a stream we can't even really see but we can hear it. The butterflies love the scrubby, and so do the dragonflies, and they get so big they're practically prehistoric. The wings are iridescent loveliness, and I spend huge amounts of time thankful that I live with butterflies and dragonflies.

Once, a hummingbird hovered near the deck as my older son, about 2, and I picnicked on the deck while the baby napped in the sling. My son got to see it, too. I was so tired that new-baby summer, and so overwhelmed, and that hummingbird was such a gift. Talk about your spiritual moments.

Posted by amy at November 4, 2007 8:30 PM

I love the "so improbable" re: the butterflies. I feel that way all the time. We were at the aquarium last month and were looking at the sea horses- leafy sea dragons, more specifically, and I thought- "really???"

Posted by Laura at November 4, 2007 10:10 PM

I've been to the Butterfly Garden at Callaway many times, and I've seen their Birds of Prey show. I've not been skeet shooting, though.

Posted by Terri at November 4, 2007 11:34 PM

I know that C.S. Lewis nad kicking... thing. Although I'm not getting the reference. Can you direct me to the correct passage in the right book so I understand?
I get the same thing about the Grand Canyon. Been there twice and it's....uhm, big. Impressive. But it's almost like looking at a photo - hard to "see" or perhaps "grok" in person. Now a redwood forest. There's the thing. Or maybe an art gallery. Or being present at a birth. Definitely.

Posted by Laume at November 5, 2007 2:09 AM

You are just too cute.
You've convinced me that I definitely need to skeet shoot, and here I was all ready to drive into Lawrenceville and shoot machine guns at the Gun Shop.

Posted by linda at November 5, 2007 11:52 AM

I too am unfamiliar with the passage about Mr. Lewis' nads. But ask me about Chronicles of Narnia - that I know! I love skeet shooting. Local high schools have got a great program going with their trap shooting teams. Wonderful opportunities for the children!

My kick in the nads experience is a mountain, any mountain. The steep and rocky walls of the Rockies, or the sloping, rolling, tree covered rounds of the Smokies. Ashville NC, is absolutely my favorite place. My roots run deep there.

Butterflies, yes, vultures, no. Although Vinnie does have a sort of a suave demeanor about himself. Is a vulture the same bird as a buzzard? We gots lots of buzzards in Tennessee! Never saw one that looked like Marty Feldman,though.

Posted by Rhonda at November 5, 2007 11:59 AM

So I guess we can expect someone in your next book to have a pet vulture? Will he have cute outfits like the chicken?

But please don't shoot or eat it this time, okay? ; )

Posted by Elizabeth at November 5, 2007 12:48 PM

Never, ever, EVER thought I'd see "CS Lewis" and "nads" in the same sentence. LOL. That LITERALLY made me laugh out loud!

Thanks, I needed that!

Posted by City Girl at November 5, 2007 2:11 PM

Shooting guns puts you in the AWESOME MOM category . . . according to young boys. My son had no idea I knew how to shoot until I was roped into a Mom and Son Boy Scout weekend campout where they had the boys and moms 'learn' how to shoot. I'd never told my son I'd had a BB gun as a kid so he had NO IDEA his MOM was loaded for Boy Scout Bear . . . Whupping all their little boy butts by nailing those paper bulls eyes put me in a WHOLE NEW light.

Posted by JeanEva at November 5, 2007 7:47 PM

You have a beautiful soul. Unusual, but beautiful. Wizened acorn my fanny. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at November 6, 2007 10:31 AM

I just have to know which gloss you wore. I know, I know, really great experiences, and all I've got is, "I MUST KNOW WHAT SHADE OF GLOSS SHE WORE!" Priorities, you understand.

Posted by Coleen at November 6, 2007 10:34 AM

Now, that skeet shooting guy looks like someone who really enjoys his job. Wow!

Posted by Trace at November 6, 2007 5:16 PM

I'm fairly certain that the C.S. Lewis reference is to the book Surprised by Joy, in which he talks about his conversion to Christianity, led by the experience of what he calls joy - not just pleasure, but that feeling of breathless wonder that Joshilyn describes so elegantly. I do not believe that the late Professor Lewis referred to his gonads at any time in that context - though he was occasionally capable of being quite earthy.

Posted by Diane (TT) at November 8, 2007 11:09 AM

A couple of years ago my family dragged a reluctant me to a place called an Insectarium, which seemed like a bad idea on So Many Levels, and I was planning to sit out in the parking lot and read a book to save the price of my admission to the Bug Zoo. Then I found out they had a Butterfly House so I said, "What the heck?" and went in and was amazed and delighted. So I know whereof you speak.

I'm pretty sure Diane is correct in saying that CS Lewis talks about the experience of deep wonder and awe as a connection to the divine in "Surprised by Joy," but does not talk about his nads anywhere. The nads, that's all you.

Posted by TrudyJ at November 9, 2007 6:42 AM