Comments: Of All the Things I Mean to Blog About…

Joshilyn
Fsscinating theory on the cover art - that we may be drawn to one of the two covers based on which character we most identity with ourselves. I will keep that thought in mind when I FINALLY get to read the book (can't wait!!).

Posted by Karen at October 25, 2007 8:45 AM

Ooh, interesting theory about which character we'll be drawn to. I don't know what it says about me that in Between I sorta kinda identified with Ona. But mostly because she reminded me of my alcoholic aunt. Yikes!

Love the kitten dialogue!

Posted by Madame Queen at October 25, 2007 8:47 AM

Hhhmmm....Now I want to know which sister I'd identify more with too. Based on the descriptions, I'd have guessed Laurel, but I liked the Thalia cover a shade more, so again I say Hhhmmmm.....

Cartoon: Perfect!

Posted by DebR at October 25, 2007 9:34 AM

Hmm, interesting about the covers. I've read the book (and am Ms. Read's supplier), and I'd say I identify more with Laurel in the book. Funnily enough, I'm a Laurel and my sister is, without a doubt, a Thalia. Neither of us quilts though...

Anyway, fond though I am of the American cover - and I really think it will sell the book well - I personally like the U.K. cover more. But, gotta say, the U.K. cover evokes chick lit, at least to my American eye, so I'm glad we'll be seeing the "Laurel" cover instead!

Posted by Lily at October 25, 2007 10:06 AM

You are very funny. Did you know that? I hope so--cuz ya are.

I loved the Wonder Twins nod--"form of. . .a metaphor." Wouldn't it have been cool if they'd actually done that on Saturday mornings?

Posted by Roxanne at October 25, 2007 11:54 AM

And I love your explanation of the U.S. cover. . .I went back for a gander since I'd not noticed the font color change. . .and then I realized that you can see the green fence THROUGH HER MIDDLE. I KNEW you could see through the lower part of her skirt. . .but I thought she just wasn't wearing a slip--besides, it's summer and hot, and she could be wearing a swimsuit cover for all I know. . .but a slip won't help ya if someone can see through your abdomen.

I feel as though I now have my finger on the pulse.

Posted by Roxanne at October 25, 2007 11:57 AM

Awesome Cartoon!

Posted by Gwen at October 25, 2007 1:01 PM

sweet baby jeebus I am laughing so hard at Kitten's Inner Monologue!!!!!

Posted by ScottsdaleGirl at October 25, 2007 1:59 PM

Okay then, for the record I like the Thalia cover better.

Meanwhile, back at the Germany, try to get the guy who did the covers for the German Harry Potter books. I think he would do a great David cover.

Posted by alala at October 25, 2007 6:45 PM

Crazy Farm Plan reminds me of what my foster sister Lucia said when she graduated from Mt. Holyoke and I asked her what she wanted to do when she grew up.

She said, "I want to live in a house with dirt floors and sheep."

Now she is an opera teacher in Seattle. I am more Thalia than a lot of people, but she is WAAAAAAAAAAAY more Thalia than me on even my most Thalia-esque day. But mostly I feel like Bet, I think. At least as far as fashion sense.

Posted by Cornelia Read at October 25, 2007 9:42 PM

I was right?

Cool!

I'm so often not-right (which is not the same as being wrong, exactly; it's more like being on a different plane of existance) that I'm a bit startled.

Still. Cool!

I am a Thalia-wanna-be. I'd love to LIVE life right up to the edge like she does. But more and more I'm becoming Laurel-esque, without the good housekeeping skills or quilting.

Love the kitten dialogue! When you write children's books that have an overlay of snark for the parents, that voice is going to be right up front!

Now, about the Crazy Farm Plan? *nudge nudge*

Posted by Fran at October 25, 2007 11:06 PM

I love the UK cover so I will be interested in seeing which sister I identify with more.

Chickens and goats...it must be a Joss day :)

Posted by Cele at October 26, 2007 12:25 AM

My crazy-farm-plan only works if I'm rich enough to make someone ELSE do all the actual farm work. Powerball jackpot, where art thee?

Posted by Brigitte at October 26, 2007 5:36 AM

important that you have that "plan" attached to crazy farm, cuz round here crazy farm is where they send folks who are a bit touched in the head, as we say in the South. ("bless their hearts....")

Posted by dramamama at October 26, 2007 10:44 AM

Does the Crazy Farm Plan involve moving away from civilization? Because if so, I would like to volunteer as slave labor. Just pleeeease, take me with you!

I feel like Thalia trapped inside Laurel. Naturally, I like both covers. But I like Thalia's more.

Posted by Amy-Go at October 26, 2007 11:29 AM

The best part of volunteering at an indie bookstore is the stack of ARCs we can peruse in the back room. I almost had heart failure when I saw TGWSS.

I agree with Fran. I'm more of a Laurel and not at all a Thalia so that's probably why I like the US cover better. What DebR said-- the UK cover looks like something from a dark ritual. With all the paranormal fiction out now, I'd assume a vampire was involved. The US cover says "something is Not Right in suburbia."

Any book with the name Joshilyn Jackson on the cover is an autobuy for me. Now I can't wait for Book 4!!

Posted by Elizabeth at October 26, 2007 1:55 PM

The "had" in "I had a crazy farm plan" gives me hope for a brighter tomorrow. A tomorrow where you still have a phone.

Posted by Lydia at October 28, 2007 6:13 PM