Comments: Late Summer Pleasures

One of the perks of working at the newspaper is getting DVDs of new shows coming out. We got the first FOUR episodes of "Saving Grace" from TNT before it ever premiered. I watched them all because I pledged allegiance to Hunter years ago after watching "Broadcast News." I am SO Jane Craig in that movie. Saving Grace is splendid.
But ... I heart "Damages" much more. Good TV, chilling, unpredictable.

Me too. Want fall too. I got return labels in the mail yesterday and they all have little pumpkins and fall leaves and stuff on them. I was salivating at the sight of them.

Posted by timmi at August 23, 2007 1:17 PM

Fall is great, no running the AC, riding bike along the river will be perfect. Thanks for posting the Dextini receipe. :p

Posted by Sarah at August 23, 2007 3:15 PM

I will now be making me a Dextini as ALL - All, I tell you, every stinking one - of the pain meds my doctor has so helpfully prescribed has been a DISASTER of vomiting and/or the unbearable restless jitters. BUT, oh my fair Tulip, as thou well knows, I can hold my liquor, if not my drugs. Dextini to the rescue!! And thank you for the kind recommendation.

Posted by Amy-Go at August 23, 2007 4:24 PM

Damages is fantastic -- it's Soprano-esque. Also love The Closer but can't get into Saving Grace.

Thank goodness for iTunes, I missed this week's episodes but could download them to my laptop.

Posted by c.paquin at August 23, 2007 5:43 PM

I have eaten poutine. In July, in Toronto, next door to a shop whose sign said "The Head Shop: Serving Toronto's Potheads Since...Ah, We Forget." The Yarn Harlot says if you listen hard while eating poutine you can hear your heart slow down.

She's right.

Posted by rams at August 23, 2007 6:10 PM

Hey- just wondering- what does Maisy think of school? I will definately give the Dextini a try. Did you make this up or just discover it?

Posted by Cathi at August 23, 2007 6:17 PM

1. I loved The 13th Tale!! I read it instead of listening, since I'm not so much into the audio books, but Loved. It. That and Water for Elephants both made my top 12 fave books last years. I keep looking at J S & M N and thinking I should give that one a go, but I look at the sheer size of it, then look at my ridiculous TBR pile(s!!!) of books and think "later." I'll get to it eventually, Lord willing, lack of rising creeks, etc.

2. I've been watching Saving Grace and really like that one a lot. I've been TiVoing Damages, but haven't started watching them yet because I'm missing episode 3...gggrrr. I wonder if they have those online. Just now thought of that! Hhmm...need to check it out! If so, I can start watching them!

3) You are SO not even remotely fat, even at your fattest weight. You just aren't.

4)Hope you and Karen have a great time!! Poutine sounds yummy!!

5) So does the White Trash Cocktail although, Nestle's Quick notwithstanding, I'm not sure how white trashy it can really be with top shelf vodka and organic milk. Just sayin' I'm SO going to try it! It sounds like it would taste like an alcohol-soaked chocolate covered cherry! (I need to go to the store though, as I have NONE of the ingredients except the milk. Sigh...)

Posted by DebR at August 23, 2007 6:25 PM

DebR, I think Damages is going to have a marathon on Labor Day. Check their website.

I am hooked on Damages, Closer, and Saving Grace, so glad that there are now shows with strong female characters who aren't you know "Barbie doll-like". You know they seem like people you might actually know, because they are flawed.
Fall can't come fast enough for me these 100 degree days are killing me!

Posted by Heather at August 23, 2007 9:04 PM

Pimms' Cups are definitely a late summer pleasure. I'd wait until it's a bit cooler to sniff the horses, though.

We're having record-breaking heat up here in the mountains, too. I've had enough! My puppy doesn't even want to go for a walk. He walks about 10 feet, finds a spot of shade and sits down on his furry little heinie. Can't say I blame him.

Posted by Edgy Mama at August 23, 2007 9:40 PM

How 'bout you road trip up here to Canada where it was 52 degrees today (Half of your temperature!!) and I'll even let you RIDE my horse.

Posted by Heather Cook at August 23, 2007 9:47 PM

Joss said...
I have to turn a chunk of book in to my writing group this afternoon...

Joshilyn, you are a goddess among writerly women. I am painfully used to seeing people use "into" when they mean "in to." Bless you, Booful!

Of course, turning a chunk of book into your writing group would be JFM, plus good for a few laughs. /;+)

Posted by ZaZa at August 24, 2007 12:32 AM

UMMMMMM Pimms yum, but now I'm going to have to drive to Canada to get some poutine. At the casino here the make One Eyed Jack Nachos. French Fries smoothered in Jack cheese, shredded bacon, cracked pepper, and served with ranch sauce. Damn now I'm hungery.

Posted by Cele at August 24, 2007 1:12 AM

I lurved the 13th Tale. It's so fairy tale fun. Also, even though it's ehhh 8:30 in the morning where I live, I want a white trash cocktail.

Have fun on your trip!

Posted by aka nik at August 24, 2007 2:25 AM

Ah, Fall! Everything crispy and most of the bugs are DEAD, so it's the best time for my walks in the woods . . except for the whole being-mistaken-for-a-deer thing.

Make sure she uses REAL cheese curds, FRESH ones, in that poutine, it's just not right otherwise! MMMmmmmmmmm.

Posted by Brigitte at August 24, 2007 7:07 AM

Thanks, Heather, I'll check out the schedule!

Posted by DebR at August 24, 2007 8:26 AM

Isn't the Thirteenth Tale fabulous? I read it and thoroughly enjoyed every pretty page.

And fall. Ah, fall. It's my favorite time of year...football games and pumpkins and the leaves and will it ever get here?? In Mississippi it comes slow and doesn't stay long, at which point I take to reading books set in New England in autumn.

Posted by Keetha at August 24, 2007 9:10 AM

Right with you on the 13th Tale- fab fab, and I never would have pronounced Vita Winter's name right if I didn't hear the audio.
Might I also suggest HISTORY OF LOVE on CD. I think it's up your alley.
Have fun with K this wkend, I'm off to a girly houseboat party,( bringing a bottle of absinthe...) but hope to catch up to you at DBF next wkend. Belated congrats on the awrd, btw.

Posted by linda at August 24, 2007 9:39 AM

Oh! Streets have softened into black butter.

LOVE it. What a beautiful description. Same temps here, it is so hot. Fortunately I was up in Madison WI for a conference last week, where they were complaining about their 82 degree day and humidity. But I was strolling around happy.

Posted by Laura Florand at August 24, 2007 10:25 AM

My SIL sent me The 13th Tale for my B-day back in March. LOVE, LOVE, LOVED it!!!! She is the same person the sent me gods in Alabama. As you can tell, she always makes excellent book recommendations :)

YUM, poutine! I haven't had poutine since I was in Canada for work years ago. Such wonderful yumminess!

Posted by Patti D. at August 24, 2007 11:31 AM

Today and tomorrow notwithstanding (90+ degrees), we've had cooler weather lately and I am SO NOT READY for fall. September is nice, and perhaps most of October, but Winter has a sneaky way of slipping in during November. Fall goes quick. Mind you, I dig the autumn foliage and apples and Halloween with a bite in the air, not to mention FOOTBALL (hallelujah for that), but then all that's gone and womp! there could be 6 feet of snow for Thanksgiving. It can happen.

Keetha, your comment made me smile, because, living in New England, I tend to want to read southern and/or summertime books in the late fall-winter-early spring. For years I'd hold out on Dandelion Wine as long as I could; it was my "break glass in case of winter emergency" book.

Posted by amy at August 24, 2007 2:11 PM

I have been "peeking" at your blog for such a long time, and it is even listed on my blog as a great place to go! So, what a surprise that I actually "looked" to the side and realized that your book "gods in Alabama" is one of my most recent favorites! Just enough to put a big ol' smile on my face!!

Posted by Rebekah at August 24, 2007 3:57 PM

I love, love, love, The Closer. I must read Water for Elephants soon! x

Posted by diane at August 24, 2007 3:58 PM

So are the public schools air conditioned where you are? I would think if not it'd be too hot to think, much less learn. Up here in Yankee country the kids don't start back till after Labor Day, not so hot, although it's never as hot here for as long as it is there. AND I just read Amy's post and I demand to know the last time we had 6 feet of snow for Thanksgiving? She exaggerates, my sister.

Posted by Jill at August 24, 2007 7:17 PM

The point is, it COULD happen. Do you remember the winter it snowed feet, weekly? From about November to April? '93-'94, maybe? I do. I shoveled it, because my landlord wouldn't pay for a plow. Every. Single. Week.

I hate New England winters. *grrr*

Posted by amy at August 24, 2007 7:45 PM

Now Amy and Jill, girls, don't fuss with each other. I am at a quilt show in Nashville TN. It's 103 outside. You'd think it would be too hot to even think about quilts. But quilters don't much pay any attention to the temperature. It's mostly about the fabric and who has the most!

I love love love the fall. Cooler weather, layered clothes, seeing apple cider in the grocery story (for mixing Biltmore Spiced cider mix with) crispy leaves, which we won't have any of because of the draught, football, hunting season (not for me, for hubby and that gives me a few week-ends to quilt!) So it's a big circle of life!

Posted by Rhonda at August 25, 2007 2:20 AM

amy said...

I do! I do! That was the winter I quit my job in Maryland and moved home to California. We drove. But luck was with us. The storm followed on our tails until about South Carolina. We'd wake up each morning to snow, but get on the road going south and outrun it.

It was January, so we went the southern route. Lovely. Just lovely. Antique shopping. Bojangles fried chicken. Damn I miss that. Didn't hit cold and nasty until Texas, which was in the grip of a series of ice storms.

Posted by ZaZa at August 25, 2007 1:16 PM