Comments: So…

This was a hard post for me to read, but I'm very glad your father got the stint done and made it through it so well.

Posted by Laura Florand at August 6, 2007 7:37 AM

I'm so glad your dad is ok! I hope he'll take it easy for a while, although being as I'm married to a former Marine who sounds like he has a mindset very much like Ranger Bob, I'm not holding my breath on that one. So maybe instead I'll just hope that your dad keeps on being wonderfully, confoundingly, healthily himself.

Posted by DebR at August 6, 2007 8:01 AM

You did say you were Irish, right? My irish father who, before heart attackS (!) hated to mow the lawn, REFUSES to let anyone else do it now. Someone told him he shouldn't so he does. But not until the heat index is over 90 degrees. Now if only someone would tell him to avoid exercise and scarf trans fats at every meal, we may see some improvement in his health.

I saw my dad's stent placement and it is cool but I think they can videotape that kind of thing. That lack of anesthesia thing? That does smell a little crazy.

Posted by Em at August 6, 2007 8:26 AM

WOW. As the daughter of someone who's had several heart-related procedures, I am duly impressed. Glad he's okay.

Posted by Marilyn at August 6, 2007 8:26 AM

I'm so rude! I meant to also say, I'm very glad your stubborn, Irish, bulletproof Dad is OK!

Posted by Em at August 6, 2007 8:27 AM

My stepdad had a couple of stents put in a few months ago. He has already had a triple heart by pass. The Williams are NOT known for dodging death. Theya re known for having crappy hearts that give out too soon.

Posted by Heather at August 6, 2007 10:09 AM

PS Praise God your daddy went in finally and is feeling so much better now. :)

Posted by Heather at August 6, 2007 10:10 AM

ACK! I'm glad all is well, and that your dad is apparently made of steel. Rock on, Jacksons.

Posted by Mir at August 6, 2007 10:10 AM

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry to hear about the troubles and so glad to hear he is doing so well! I love the part about the treadmill. You go, Dad!

And you, Joshilyn - are a trooper! Wow!

Best,
Keetha

Posted by Keetha at August 6, 2007 10:23 AM

Well, they can take the Ranger out of the Army, but they can never take the Ranger out of the man. Glad Ranger Bob is feeling better.

Posted by Therese at August 6, 2007 10:27 AM

So glad he is okay. Talk about rugged.

Posted by LIsa Milton at August 6, 2007 10:49 AM

Ranger Bob is a bada**. I'm SO glad he's okay.

Posted by Karen Abbott at August 6, 2007 10:55 AM

Thank goodness he's OK! My dad had a heart attack a few years ago and needed a SIX WAY bypass. I had never heard of such a thing!

And the no anaesthesia? He is one tough Ranger!

Posted by Amy at August 6, 2007 10:56 AM

OK, your Dad? Scares me! There's tough and then there's nutso. Ah, what am I saying, he's a Ranger. Definitely nutso ;-)

So glad to hear that things are turning out as well as possible. Hug your crazy Irish dad for us!

Posted by Beth at August 6, 2007 11:37 AM

Hard for me to read right now, too, but I didn't want to just scuttle away without saying I'm very, very glad your father is okay.

Posted by amy at August 6, 2007 11:39 AM

Oh, but I can relate to the ex-military dad who will refuse medical help unless maybe there are major body parts falling off -- and then only if duct tape doesn't work to hold them back on.

Our big worry with my dad is skin cancer, since he's Norwegian and spent a couple of years in Vietnam getting massively sunburned. Now he's always getting suspicious-looking moles on his back. He can have a funny-shaped mole in a scary color pop up overnight and practically grow branches and leaves, and he'll swear it's nothing. My mom and I have had to develop a system of tag-team guilt and manipulation to get him to have these checked out. I'm always getting furtive phone calls placed from the cell phone while my mom hides on the back porch, telling me the symptoms I should spontaneously notice and be concerned about on my next visit.

Then there was the time he had a massive allergic reaction including giant hives and refused to see a doctor. I told my mom to get out an X-acto knife, an old ballpoint pen and a bottle of rubbing alcohol and have them handy for the emergency tracheotomy. That actually worked to scare him to the doctor.

I'm glad your dad is okay in spite of the stubbornness.

Posted by Shanna Swendson at August 6, 2007 12:13 PM

Oh my gosh ... when you told me about this over lunch at the conference Saturday, I don't think it really hit me that he did this with only a LOCAL! I made them put me to sleep to have an endoscopy, but I'm a wimp, definitely not Ranger material. Glad he's healing.

Workshop (Mississippi Writers Guild) was AMAZING - thank you so much. I am inspired. (also had a great time at Scrooge's:-)

Susan

Posted by Susan Cushman at August 6, 2007 12:26 PM

I'm glad your dad is doing fine now, your mother has my sympathies, it can't be easy trying to make a Jackson rest. This is where the phrase stonewall came from, right?

Posted by Cele at August 6, 2007 12:35 PM

So glad he's okay. Even though you know for a fact he is Superman, that had to have been scary.

Posted by Laura at August 6, 2007 2:09 PM

I admire your wit in the face of something that must have really been scary for you. {{{HUGS}}}

Posted by Pattie at August 6, 2007 3:11 PM

I've been through angiograms, by-pass surgery and angioplasties (the procedure where they install the infamous "stents.") During the very first angiogram I watched the screen diligently until I got nauseous. Since then I have relied on the miracle drug "Versed" which wipes your memory clean for the period under it's influence. If you can't remember the pain, it didn't really hurt.

So, while I greatly admire your father's courage, curiosity, steadfastness and patriotism, I am compelled to ask: Are there any other forms of insanity in your family?

Posted by Mir's dad at August 6, 2007 3:48 PM

So glad your head didn't splode with the worry and waiting.

Posted by wendy at August 6, 2007 5:21 PM

Holy Cow. What a guy your dad is. No way, no how, for me without anesthesia, and I don't even like the stuff!

I can sympathize with the roommate-when my husband crashed his bike this year and ended up in the hospital for two nights, his roommate was pretty obviously coming down (slowly and not happily) from meth or something else. Lots of random yells and thrashing at the straps they'd put on him so he wouldn't fall out.

Glad your dad is home and doing well!

Posted by Becky Levine at August 6, 2007 8:42 PM

OMG! Nutcracker Esophagus! I have that! I have never known ANYONE else with random crazy esophageal problems. People think I am crazy when I try to explain what it is. (Alright, I am crazy, but I do have a crazy Esophagus)

Posted by Lisa at August 6, 2007 8:49 PM

Way to go, Ranger Bob! I'm sooo happy for you, Joss. Good news is always the best. Uh, well...*twirls toe in the dirt*...Duh.

Posted by ZaZa at August 6, 2007 11:35 PM

So this qualified as a *minor* family emergency? Sheesh. Glad all is well. I'm with him, I'd have wanted to see the stent too. Not uncommon for these non-invasive heart procedures to be done under local. God willing he will never need open heart but if he does he cannot, repeat cannot, watch.

Posted by parrotzmom at August 7, 2007 8:19 AM

So glad everything is okay!!!!

Posted by Caren at August 7, 2007 9:53 AM

I'm so glad that your dad's okay. Welcome back!

Posted by Aimee at August 7, 2007 10:23 AM

Wowzer! Your dad is so cool!!

Posted by Heather Cook at August 7, 2007 3:27 PM

MY grandpa was an army medic. One day while practicing maneuvers he self diagnosed his own appendicitis. Deciding that he wouldn't be able to walk in before the things burst he decided that he could take it out himself. Thankfully he was an alcoholic and used to working while inebriated so the scotch he downed to deaden the pain didn't affect his motor skills any more than usual. So he removed his own appendix, with the field med kit in his pack, and was suturing when they found him.

If that don't strain your credulity a bit I don't know what will.

Posted by carrien at August 7, 2007 5:44 PM

Love your Dad all you can, Joss. Lost mine in November, this date, from pancreatic cancer. My dad was, tough, too. And Shanna, might want to do some research on that melanoma thing. My maiden name is of Dutch origin and Dad is one of eleven children. He had two sisters die of ovarian cancer, a brother from pancreatic cancer, and two brothers that are breast cancer survivors. Also several of my cousins and my sister, have had melanoma. Did some genetic testing and the BRCA2 gene mutation is our bloodline. This mutation causes breast, ovarian, pancreatic, prostate, melanoma, lymphoma, stomach and gall bladder cancers. People of Norwegian and Dutch descent are more prone to have this mutation than others. Them and a particular group of Jewish folks. I have been tested for the mutation and do not have it. Daddy did a lot of things for me but this is probably the best - he didn't pass the mutation to me. My two sisters will be tested in a few weeks.

Posted by Rhonda at August 7, 2007 10:06 PM

I'm SO glad he's ok!!!

If it's any comfort, our friend got stents and he's doing *great* now.

(((((Joshilyn)))))) That's one tough-as-nails dad you have there!!

Posted by Angel at August 8, 2007 1:46 AM

My FIL had a stent put in about five years ago. He'd been working in the yard all day and was convinced he'd just pulled chest muscle even though the pain was so bad that he couldn't sleep.

Glad Ranger Bob is okay!

My dad's also Bob. He had major brain surgery at the end of May. And right now he's out on a sailboat showing off for his son-in-laws. I tell ya...these tough guys!

Posted by Edgy Mama at August 8, 2007 10:53 AM