Comments: Updates, 3Q with Julie Kenner, and Shocking(!) News

I'd never heard of The Fratellis before this. I like that song a lot! I can't say I love the video. The background girls were like a cross between '40's Vargas pin-ups and the "Addicted to Love" girls from the '80's and I'm not so sure that's a good thing. But the song? GOOD song!

Posted by DebR at July 20, 2007 9:52 AM

Do not feel bad about the waffling and the missing of the Dyson. I waffled and missed an iRiver on Woot last night. We can sigh in much mutual sympathy now.

Posted by Casey at July 20, 2007 9:54 AM

I really like the White Stripes, too. I especially like their new song "Icky Thump". I don't know how you feel about retro country, but a couple of years ago Jack White coproduced an album with Loretta Lynn called "Van Lear Rose." It is awesome -- kind of country, kind of rock-y, and it's got a lot of great guitar. I don't love every song on the album but my fave song is called "Portland Oregon." That song rocks out.

Posted by Leandra at July 20, 2007 9:56 AM

Okay, so now I will be beaten to death, but I just found out something you might like on Amazon's Friday sale... Err, a $299 refurbished Dyson...

*ducks*

Hey, at least I'm not providing the link and being a TOTAL enabler!

Posted by Casey at July 20, 2007 10:00 AM

try Jack's other band, The Raconteurs.

Posted by Catherine at July 20, 2007 10:46 AM

I love the The Fratellis! My 16 year old son turned me on to them and keeps me abreast of good newish, not so main stream bands. Folks you don't regularly hear on the radio. Check out the Kings of Leon also. Some great music!

Posted by Michelle at July 20, 2007 11:10 AM

I just want to say to Julie Kenner that you must be freaking amazing. I cannot believe your productivity with that schedule! Way to go. Now I will have to go try all the demon books from pure awe.

Posted by Laura Florand at July 20, 2007 11:28 AM

I want to know how that girl didn't pop out of her Bustier?

Posted by Cele at July 20, 2007 12:14 PM

I know. I know. I must be in the Dark Ages here, but what, praytell, is a Dyson?

Posted by Trace at July 20, 2007 12:14 PM

Yay you! I heart The Fratellis too, 'specially Flathead, Whistle for the Choir and Chelsea Dagger.

Posted by Melisa at July 20, 2007 12:23 PM

White Stripes. Makes sense. Jack does music the way you do books. And I mean that in the very best way. You are both so pretty. ;+)

Posted by ZaZa at July 20, 2007 12:54 PM

So funny, I just downloaded the White Stripes new album (can I still call it an album?) a couple of days ago. Love them!

Posted by heidi at July 20, 2007 1:05 PM

That girl in the red dress has, um, large "tracts of land".

Posted by Heather Cook at July 20, 2007 1:13 PM

Like the song, but when I read "what would happen if the Pogues and the Clash had an angry baby", my first thought was the Drop Kick Murphys! Now THEY sound angry (here's a bad-audio live version on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJjeWOqASYI)

Posted by Brigitte at July 20, 2007 1:46 PM

Laura Florand: you will LOVE LOVE pink fluffy hearts LOVE the Adventures of a Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom!

My best buddy and I are hooked on Julie Kenner -- The Givenchy Code is pretty good too ;-)

Thank you so much for doing the 3Q's, Pretty Tulip! I'm working on a spreadsheet of all of the books you mention, either in the 3Q's or off-hand, and I love being able to add new ones to it!

Posted by Beth at July 20, 2007 1:49 PM

Oh, yeah, and the White Stripes rock!

Posted by Beth at July 20, 2007 1:50 PM

Okay. . .my husband is just impressed that someone else has heard of The Pogues.

Posted by Roxanne at July 20, 2007 2:14 PM

Ya know, I think it's time I got into the White Stripes. (Interesting tidbit I just found from itunes... the song "We're Going to Be Friends" from the Curious George Soundtrack, by Jack Johnson? Whom I also love, btw- is on the White Stripes 2001 album White Blood Cells. WTF!)

Posted by jenn at July 20, 2007 2:30 PM

Oh, and Joss? Girl, you gotta get you an iPod.

Posted by jenn at July 20, 2007 2:31 PM

I like the Fratellis too. Their songs make me bounce. And Yay! for the Drop Kick Murphys!! We need more of them 'round here, they're on our List To Get. Yep, it seems punkishness is back. Just heard a new one recently that my five-year-old picked up on right away (he likes the punkishness too)--http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLM9TRUNkLk
by My Chemical Romance.

Can't vouch for the video--I'm just listening. And the song appears to contain some cussin', for those who like to know. :-)

Posted by amy at July 20, 2007 2:32 PM

Sorry, don't care for that type music. But the iPod is a great idea for "listening to books!" Driving, cooking, doing laundry, Dyson-ing the floors, books on iPod are great!You can still get work done and "read" at the same time!

Posted by Rhonda at July 20, 2007 4:49 PM

We have Julie Kenner in our "Urban Fantasy" section (yes, the mystery bookshop has an urban fantasy section. Because I said so.) next to Yasmine Galenorn and Charlaine Harris, and she's doing marvelously there. So YAY!

Musically, I'm still stuck on the Go Girls. Go figure.

Posted by Fran at July 21, 2007 12:44 AM