Comments: Beach Babble

Oh, now that's just cruel. You got to read the new Marisa de los Santos book? You couldn't put it down? It made you cry? You're making ME cry. If I send you homemade cookies and SASE, would you pop it in the mail? Maybe if I begged a little more? No?

Posted by moose at July 9, 2007 1:09 AM

Please use spf 45 or something at least 4 times a day....oh and have lots of fun

Posted by Cele at July 9, 2007 1:24 AM

Don't you hate it/love it when you get such a great book that you can't put it down. You don't want to stop reading it because it's so great, but you know if you don't stop pretty soon you'll be finished with it and then you won't have it to read anymore anyway! What a lovely conundrum to have!

As for the sunburn, I'm sorry. I'm Irish too, but I got a healthy dose of Cherokee tossed in so I rarely burn, but Blue Lizard sunscreen is Awesome. It works really, really well. I believe it was developed by Australians. The only drawback is that it's kind of hard to find. Usually small town drugstores will carry it.

Posted by Leandra at July 9, 2007 6:14 AM

Yep, I'm thankful for my Italian-Portuguese combo. My husband is half Italian but the other side is a mixed bag of British Isles. Some fearfully pasty genes lurk on that side, but luckily the kids don't have them. Because although I do slather them with sunscreen, there are times that perhaps I don't do that quite often enough. In other words, the back of my older son's neck is getting rather brown. (He has a big boy haircut; the other one's neck isn't visible beneath the ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS CURLS.)

So. Lucky me. Be careful, you.

Posted by amy at July 9, 2007 7:52 AM

I'm with you on the glow-in-the-dark-white skin genes. My favorite sunscreen (I *think* it's by Hawaiian Tropic) is SPF 70. Yes. 70. I really am THAT white.

I love seeing the book display pic! Two of my very most favoritest books from last year making out in public. Cool! :-)

Posted by DebR at July 9, 2007 9:48 AM

I am so jealous that you can read in the car. It makes me want to puke, not that YOU can read in a car, but the motion of the road and the whining from the backseat.
Congrats on BETWEEN doing so well out there. Well deserved placement.
Enjoy your down time.

Posted by linda at July 9, 2007 10:43 AM

Oh, I feel your pasty Irish pain. I keep thinking if I get enough freckles, it might pass for a tan.

Posted by Jennilynn at July 9, 2007 10:47 AM

From one bog person to another...I suggest an umbrella. Never have found a sunscreen I couldn't burn through...

Posted by Amy-Go at July 9, 2007 11:33 AM

That picture of our books spooning is so HOT.

Posted by Sara at July 9, 2007 2:50 PM

Melatonin? So your circadian cycle is in cync with prime tanning time?

Posted by rams at July 9, 2007 6:02 PM

That pic rocks. Very nice. Couldn't have happened to better books.
it's so refreshing to know that i'm no the only one with that particular problem, that having to have a new book all the time thing. just last night, almost 11pm, i picked a book for an upcoming trip, something to read on the plane. then i picked another, because i realized that i don't leave until tomorrow, and i had a whole day to get through before the plane ride. that was smart. i finished the original book about 2 hour ago, and really REALLY want to dive into the spare. i am gorging myself on blogs instead, because i just don't have the time, literally, to get to the bookstore before my early flight.
it is both a blessing and a curse to read so fast.

Posted by dee at July 9, 2007 6:11 PM

Ha! I just picked up Sara's book after hearing her interview on Writers on Writing.
So, how about baby book names: Water for Georgia? Between Elephants? Can't wait for those to come out!

Posted by Nienke at July 10, 2007 10:16 AM

I just started rereading Water for Elephants and can wait for enough time to pass so I can reread Between! They are two of my favorites!!!! You both are great authors!

Posted by Melanie Marie at July 12, 2007 11:36 AM

Speaking of Water for Elephants, this clip was on CNN this morning:

You have to pass it on to Sara, if she hasn't seen it! Elephants escaped the circus for real last night and went wandering through people's yards.

Posted by Laura Florand at July 13, 2007 9:07 AM

That IS a nice way to begin a vacation. I am so incredibly jealous of your ability to read in the car. I, myself, POSSESS the ability to read in the car. I do NOT possess the ability to keep from feeling nauseous after only 5 minutes of it. And I am a voracious reader. I have found, however, that I can read at stop lights. So there!

Posted by Roxanne at July 16, 2007 11:25 AM