Comments: Slightly Retracted for One Day Only

I used to work in a little tiny restaurant where the special was fried pickles and they were the best fried pickles that ever were. I managed to finagle the super top secret recipe and if you are ever in Arkansas, I will fry you up some.

But only if you bring me one of those fried pies.

Posted by megan at July 5, 2007 3:34 PM

OK, that's more proof that Sam needs to be hearing good music!

Posted by dynagirl at July 5, 2007 5:01 PM

"The boss of coolness."

What a perfect response! We all could use more of The Boss.

Posted by Daily Tragedies at July 5, 2007 5:05 PM

I love where I live but you just made me wish for a second that I was a southern girl.

I love the "swit bees park" story too. We live near Horn Pond, which, due to regional accents, I thought was Hawn Pond (ryhmes) until I was a teen.

Geez, tell me how you just got me to have one of YOUR childhood memories?

Posted by Em at July 5, 2007 5:06 PM

Otto says it was the other Otto who said that. ;) But true 'nuff, anyway.

I hope to have some pics up later tonight! Thank you again for a lovely, lovely time, pretty Tulip!

Posted by Mir at July 5, 2007 7:28 PM

Wow, and I went to bed at 9:15. Hmmmm, of course I'm also 2500 miles away, so it wouldn't have been the same. But Maisey's right, I'm remember and wait for them better."

Posted by Cele at July 5, 2007 8:21 PM

Oh yeah, the sweat bees. They're good for armpit stings. And they give me a good excuse not to give up the Virginia Slims :-)

(...which I'll do...eventually.)

Posted by Angie Poole at July 5, 2007 8:33 PM

...fried pickles?...I'll believe because you say so, but...oh my.

The first Fourth of July I ever spent in Minnesota was a revelation to me because it was just like what you described, all Norman Rockwelly and NICE, and I was in no way prepared for that kind of small-town kindness.

When my son and his best friend came up to stay with us and went to the very same Fourth of July celebration the following year, with coolers filled with lemonade, with hot dogs and sassy-cool girls, Ty and Shane looked around suspciously for gangs and incipient violence, which is what we were used to back in New Mexico. Culture shock occurred, you could feel the impact thwocking through them.

It was pretty cool.

Posted by Fran at July 5, 2007 10:37 PM

I had an uncle do the tobacco-n-spit cure on a bee sting for me once. I've hardly ever run into anyone else who's ever heard of that.

It sounds like a wonderful time.

Also fried pies....mmmmmm......

Posted by DebR at July 5, 2007 11:57 PM

Ditto on the fried pickles. . .wonderful cuisine, best eaten hot right out of the tin plate. When I was 5 I stepped on something in the grass at my Granny and PaPaw's house. The stinging began momentarily, and I cried and cried and cried until PaPaw spit a plug of Red Man Chewin' Tobacco in a clean, white handkerchief and applied it thusly. It was magic, I tell ya.

Posted by Roxanne at July 5, 2007 11:59 PM

:sigh:

I'm coming to your house next year for the 4th. LOL

It sure bit the big one up here in Canada!!

There was a lunch at the American consulate, but we didn't know about it until it was done. :(

Posted by Heather Cook at July 6, 2007 1:15 AM

BTW, I really like the photo you have up, too. It's really, really good. If the others are better, they're gonna rock! I also really like your hair color.

I swear your childhood sounds so similar to mine. I haven't thought about Swit Bees in years. I used to go to a summer camp run by a man named Beefy who used the chewing tobacco cure for stings, except he never used a clean white hanky to apply it!

Posted by Leandra at July 6, 2007 6:21 AM

I'm glad you live here too. ...And able to paint such sweet pictures that remind me what a good good place it is too.

ANX for sharing your thoughts and making me feel better.

Posted by Jeff at July 6, 2007 9:36 AM

Don't be surprised if half the internet shows up in Powder Springs for the 4th, next year. The very *thought* of fried pie makes me swooooon. Not too sure about fried pickles, but I'd like to try 'em before passing judgment.

Posted by Aimee at July 6, 2007 10:28 AM

Anything fried is wonderful - fried pies, fried pickles, fried turkeys, and my personal favorite - fried Twinkies.

Posted by Kristin at July 6, 2007 2:18 PM

Oh, and I loved the post you wrote about the beach back in the archives. . .the sand bombing of the poor beetle by the "manlings" of various ages. That was one hilarious (and accurate) post.

Posted by Roxanne at July 6, 2007 2:19 PM

Believe, Fran, Believe.

It was lovely, wasn't it? We're home and safe and missing you terribly already, Tulip.

And The Boss of Coolness? Should be an office in the Beautiful Tulip Society. As you are Queen, and I am Princess-elect, and since apparantly Julie was coveting Pie-maker Extrordinaire (who knew?) I propose we make Mir The Boss of Coolness. As a way of welcoming her to Georgia. What say you? ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at July 6, 2007 5:45 PM

you should try the fried green beans at the paradise grill at sandy plains and shallowford in east cobb....

Posted by dramamama at July 7, 2007 1:12 AM

LOVE the fried pickles. Just love 'em. Used to be able to get them all over where my Grams lived, but so many of the smalle mom-n-pop places went the way of the dodo, and you sure as heck can't get fried pickles at Applebee's!
Maisy sounds like her usual beautiful little self. As does Sam.
And can I just say...
THANK YOU, MR. HUSBAND, for saving the next book!!!

Posted by dee at July 7, 2007 1:46 AM

Oh no! I forgot to say how bee-you-tee-ful the new picture is. Seriously. You're stunning!

Posted by Aimee at July 9, 2007 10:41 AM