Comments: Drive by Blogging

You know, Dave FM might actually not be a bad station to listen to every now and again. Their DJs are pretty innocuous and rarely say anything offensive, especially now that they've effectively done away with their morning team. They don't play rap music or anything by Fergie or Justin Timberlake so you won't have to explain what Sexy back or Fergilicious is to your 4 year old. Said 4-year-old's current favorite song is "One big Holiday" by My Morning Jacket -- "play that rock n' roll song, Mommy!"

Posted by Leandra at June 28, 2007 3:10 PM

Talking Heads - they ARE The Awesome!

Loved "It makes all the hamsters on their million tiny wheels inside my brain GO AND SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP." Brilliant!

Also, as an artist, I get you with the whole starting of a new project angst. One painting I'm working on right now has morphed at least four times... Shiraz has its benefits :)

Posted by Stephanie at June 28, 2007 4:03 PM

My kids like Psycho Killer (as my three year old sings it: yun yun yun yun yun yun aYAY!) But I mainly listen to the local college alternative station and my kids have a wiiiiiide range of musical tastes.

I tend to resort to knitting, especially when I need my brain to work without my interference. But then THAT becomes a handy avoidance method--"look, look, I'm almost done with this sweater, this Useful Object I can wear when I'm done instead of ripping out and revising a gazillion times! I'll just stay here...and knit..."

Posted by amy at June 28, 2007 5:00 PM

I <3 Talking Heads, too.

My son smuggled my best Dropkick Murphys CD into SLEEPAWAY SUMMER CAMP and it did NOT get taken away for contraband because guess what, his counselor was a fan...

AND he asked said counselor if said counselor liked the Pixies also... Said counselor said he had been trying to see them in concert for years.... said son then bursts out with information that he went and saw the Pixies live in Berkeley when he was in second grade...

Which I do realize makes me sound like the most irresponsible mum in the world... but there were good reasons for it, honest there were, having to do with diabetes, and Yom Kippur, and Hilary Duff...

:D

Posted by Martha O'Connor at June 28, 2007 6:12 PM

Since I OWN some of Stephanie's art work, I ditto her comments. . .'cause I was already gonna say that I loved your line about the Hamsters. And, Oh. My. Great. Heavenly. Days!!!!! Yet ANOTHER new book to look forward to AFTER I get done looking forward to TGWSS!!!!!

Posted by Roxanne at June 28, 2007 7:24 PM

That's what I'm missing this draft! Cheese. Popcorn.

I took a career craptitude test once, and it told me I scored high in bus driver, florist, and navy officer. The test lady told us that most people our age had a high bus driver. I'm pretty good at giving orders, right? Heck, it may have been highly accurate, because Lord knows I've tried everything else.

Posted by Michelle at June 28, 2007 9:37 PM

I've been reading FTK since before you finished BG. I have to say your "writer's amnesia" is funny and adorable ;)

Alias is on my Netflix Queue, I need to start watching that. Buffy and House make my hampsters behave (not that I'm writing anything LOL).

May the cheese popcorn and Shiraz grace you with that literary brilliance we all know and love :) NINE MONTHS until TGWSS comes out--WOO!

Posted by Angel at June 28, 2007 10:52 PM

I'm waiting for Maisy and Sam to break into a chorus of "Burning Down The House" during Sunday School.

I ♥ Talking Heads

Posted by Cele at June 29, 2007 1:44 AM

I'm laughing at what our parents let us dance around and sing as children. If anyone saw A Chorus Line... there is a photo from my middle school years of me performing "Dance 10: Looks 3" for my parents, center stage on the hearth, with balloons shoved in places that I would spell out for you - but Fergie spells them better and hers are (probably) real...

I think kids will always benefit from exposure to what Billy Joel claims "may sound funny... but it's still Rock-N-Roll to me"

Meanwhile I am PSYCHED that you are bringing more stories into the world!!! Cheese popcorn DO YOUR THING!!

Posted by Chris H. at June 29, 2007 1:59 AM

Hurrah for blank pages soon to be filled with devilish prose!

And hurrah for Burning down the House. That's what my little guy calls "loud" music. And he hearts it. U2 is his fave, though he can also sing a mean rendition of "I will survive."

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...

Might be a good theme song for where you are right now, Joss!

Posted by Edgy Mama at June 29, 2007 9:21 AM

My 3-year-old's current CD of choice is my husband's soundtrack to Reservoir Dogs. It has all sorts of fun-to-dance-to songs like Coconut (He put the lime in the coconut and drank it all up...) and Magic Carpet Ride, but I'm betting Quentin Tarentino would quit his day job if he knew what his movie inspired. (By the way, I think there _is_ something dirty on it, but I haven't heard it and my son doesn't notice.
Must run...he's just colored himself with red magic marker. Now he even looks like he's in a Tarentino movie.

Posted by liz at June 29, 2007 9:36 AM

I heart Alias AND Talking Heads. I'm not surprised that watching Alias and trying to figure out the many secrets of Arvin Sloane and Milo Rambaldi would be enough to quiet the hamsters.

Posted by Aimee at June 29, 2007 10:32 AM

YAAAAYY!!!! A new book!!! I find that I can turn all sorts of activities into "but I need to do this for INSPIRATION." as in "Yes, I really do need to read FTK before I can do this sales forecast."

When my nephews were in preschool at the CHURCH and they had to bring in their favorite song, most kids brought Sesame Street or Barney. My older nephew brought Green Day's "Good Riddance (Time of your Life)." Two years later his little brother brought Sixpence None The Richer's "Kiss Me." And they love Meatloaf's "Paradise by the dashboard light" but they think it's about baseball.

Posted by Jennifer G. at June 29, 2007 11:03 AM

ah, the large craziness of drafting. i've watched/read you going through it 3 times now? this too will pass.
my 5 year old daughter loves sheryl crow, but finally asked why i always turn down the radio for one word near the beginning of the steve mcqueen song ("i ain't taking **** from no one").

Posted by carol at June 29, 2007 11:05 AM