Comments: I lift the fog that shrouds the mystery that was GERBILGATE! (and 3Q with Megan Crane)

Okay, this? COULD ONLY HAPPEN TO YOU.

That is all.

Posted by Mir at June 21, 2007 9:04 AM

Now see, Gerbilgate is one of those stories that would be nearly impossible to incorporate into a novel because people would read it and think "Oh good grief, what kind of crack was she smoking when she wrote this? Swedish Gerbil Scammers?? That would never happen to anyone." Little would they know....

Posted by DebR at June 21, 2007 9:20 AM

Wow. That is about the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

I agree with Mir. It could happen only to you!

Posted by Keetha at June 21, 2007 9:53 AM

"please either confirm or dement the story;"

"Dement" seems to be the perfect word here, no? Demented gerbil breeders. Yep, only in real life.

Posted by amy at June 21, 2007 10:00 AM

That said, I think that you and Maisy and Sam and perhaps Bagel should start a band called Swedish Gerbil Ninjas, because that is too good a name to lie fallow on Teh Interwebs.

Posted by crinklish at June 21, 2007 10:11 AM

"...and now it has run away." OMG, that was the best laugh I had all day. Little mouse with his red kerchief on a stick taking one last woeful glance over his shoulder at the home he once loved.

Well, did she have him microchipped? Did she put up posters? Has she looked in all of the usual runaway mouse spots? Perhaps he had a drug problem.

I shouldn't make fun, like you said, we all have our passions but this just made my day. Thank you!

Posted by Em at June 21, 2007 10:22 AM

It's a small, small Internetty world. E-spouse is going to Sweden on Tuesday (really!), if you want him to make a special delivery. Or strongarm the crazy Swedish gerbil ninjas.

Posted by Edgy Mama at June 21, 2007 10:23 AM

Still giggling about Swedish Gerbil Ninjas. Are you wondering which of your friends is twisted enough and has enough time on their hands to have concocted this surreal little bit of freakiness? Because this MUST be a joke. MUST.

Posted by Jennilynn at June 21, 2007 10:30 AM

I always suspected there was something SWEDISH about Miss Cosy Mole Mouse. Finally, vindication is mine! All mine!

Seriously, I am just snorking at the thought of Miss Cosy with her little gerbil suitcase, boarding a Transatlantic flight for Georgia. Truth really is stranger than almost any fiction.

Posted by Aimee at June 21, 2007 11:00 AM

What Mir and everyone else said.

sheesh the things people lie about and fight about boggles my mind.

Posted by Cele at June 21, 2007 11:54 AM

That. Is. Hilarious.

Seriously laughing myself to bits over here!

Thanks for sharing!

And Mir is totally right--could ONLY happen to you!

Posted by Erin at June 21, 2007 12:21 PM

Yep...definitely only to you. That one has to go down in history as one of the strangest things to ever happen on the interweb.

Posted by Lindsey at June 21, 2007 12:33 PM

Oh, what a relief to have that mystery solved.

And not to be a ninny, but the Alps are near Switzerland and Italy... not Sweden, which is much farther north in Scandinavia. But who is to say? A mental illness in the Alps may very well affect hybrid gerbil breeders in Sweden :)

Posted by Stephanie at June 21, 2007 12:40 PM

What Mir said. Also? International Gerbil Genetic Intrigue trumps the Pink Sock Story any day. This ranks right up there with Boobs Under the Bed. *grins*

Posted by David at June 21, 2007 1:48 PM

oooooooh I think it could Tewtally happen to Mir. But no me. Thank the sweet baby jeebus above.

Posted by ScottsdaleGirl at June 21, 2007 4:53 PM

And the Flowers in the Attic reference slayed me.

Kilt me DED

Posted by ScottsdaleGirl at June 21, 2007 4:54 PM

Jaw agape, stifling snorts of laughter.

This is SO beyond bizarre. I think you should hire bodygards for Cosy. Like some big tough Guinea Pigs ::sniggle, snort::

At least you can't say your life is boring ;)

Posted by Angel at June 21, 2007 5:30 PM

The internet is very public. Kind of like public transit.

Posted by Gwen at June 21, 2007 7:37 PM

and i thought i had the corner on drama.....

Posted by dramamama at June 21, 2007 7:48 PM

Oh. My. Great. Heavenly. Days.

*********** (that is me being speechless).

That is all.

Posted by Roxanne at June 22, 2007 12:41 AM

"International Gerbil Genetic Intrigue" - snort! I love that, David. And I think Angel is right, perhaps some guinea pig bodyguards are in order. TOO much!

Posted by Brigitte at June 22, 2007 6:50 AM

Yeah... WTF. Exactly what I was thinking!

Posted by jenn at June 22, 2007 6:53 AM

LOL
LOL

I giggled all through this. OF COURSE the gerbil ran away! OMGosh.

If you wrote this in a story I swear I'd never be able to suspend my belief enough to believe it. But because it's true... wow.

Posted by Heather Cook at June 22, 2007 4:04 PM

Hmm...about the crazy friends...I bet you both also attract 10x more people who really and sincerely think you are the best, too, than, say, your average introvert. That's my theory. So there are more bad apples because there are more apples, period.

Of course that COULD just be flattering floozy talk.

Laura