Comments: IT LIVES! And Eats Tiny Plates of Lamb with Figs!

Lunch at a grain house with a blessing sounds like it fits right in with your crazy bible pasta diet.

Congrats on the blurbs!! Those are awesome. I'm supremely impressed with Homer Hickam. Even though I've never read any of his books, I've been fascinated with him since I saw October Sky. Plus, all my husband's people are from West Virginia so it feels like we should be related somehow.

And finally, please, please tell us where we stand with the "Choose your own adventure dog story." Waiting to see what happened has been like waiting for your best friend to call and detail her first date with a new guy!!

Posted by Leandra at June 13, 2007 1:37 PM

that pizza has suspicious-looking green stuff, kinda like spinach? I just know it can't be spinach, 'cause everyone knows true new york pizza wouldn't be caught dead with spinach on it. or anything else green. that just leads to artichoke hearts and capers and pineapple and foie gras and all of that other west coast stuff that californian's put on dough and call pizza.

Posted by bob at June 13, 2007 1:38 PM

O.K. I am very glad that you are eating wonderful healthy food-i.e. pizza! And of course we all knew everyone would like the new book because we fully expect to like it also. That's why we read your blog. We get to pretend like we really, truly, actually know a famous author (YOU) because you tell us such wonderful, personal tidbits about your life!- But - what I really want to know is WHAT HAPPENED WITH THE DOG!!!!!!

Posted by Cathi at June 13, 2007 1:45 PM

Nothinghappened with the dog. All DOG talks are tabled until I return.

I Do appreciate all the input and stories and it was CHURLISH of me not to say so! SORRY! THANK YOU!,

Your answers mostly seem to point at 1, Scott says. I think they point at 2.

This is where we are.

Posted by joshilyn at June 13, 2007 1:51 PM

I am feeling a very urgent need for some of that pizza. Oh, the grease. Oh, the garlic. From a Pizzafarian, complete with raspberry lemonade? I must know where that is. I actually live in San Francisco, and if you remember where the wooden shed is, and feel inclined to post it, I would be ever so grateful.

Aside from my need for pizza, congratulations on the quotes! That must feel delightful. And bruising.

Posted by Moose at June 13, 2007 2:28 PM

I'm married to a New Yorker, and I frustrate him endlessly because I REFUSE to let anyone order "pie" for dinner and I don't get the appeal of folding it. Ok, so it's round and cut in wedges, but I've NEVER had to fold a piece of real pie in half to eat it. Damn good cheese on those yankee pizzas though.

Posted by Michelle at June 13, 2007 2:53 PM

I am so having pizza for dinner now....so much for the eating healthy!

And we have to wait until MARCH????????

It better fly by!

Posted by kim at June 13, 2007 2:58 PM

I think Louise would be fine if you'd give the girl a couple of Mojitos and a slice or two of foldable pizza. (Can you tell this post made me hungry?) YAY for the horn-tooting, 'cause those were some GOOD blurbs from some DAMN GOOD writers!!

Sounds like you're having a great time out west. Yes, pleeeease, scan the blessing menu! (What if one sandwich sounds good, but you really want a different blessing? I wonder if they'll mix-n-match. Hhhmmm...)

BTW, my prize package from the photo contest has arrived safely. Thank you!!!! :-)

Posted by DebR at June 13, 2007 3:40 PM

mucho congrats on the blurbs! you and haven kimmel are gonna be BFF! x

Posted by diane at June 13, 2007 3:42 PM

Wow. I want to go to San Francisco. Or anywhere. I keep waiting for my job (stay-at-home mom) to include travel. (Can you tell my husband is traveling again?) I want to eat pizza with adults and get blessings with my food.

Congratulations on the quotes. I think a quote from Haven Kimmel is worth a bruise. I would most likely dance to bruising, too.

Posted by amy at June 13, 2007 3:56 PM

Was the restaurant Cafe Gratitude? If so, how was it? I've been curious about it for ages, but I am so not of the audience participation school of dining. ;+)

Posted by ZaZa at June 13, 2007 4:03 PM

I was so excited about reading your new blurbs that I ran right over and did so, but now I HATE you, because it's gonna be so dadgummed long before the book is out so I can read it myself!!!!!

Posted by Roxanne at June 13, 2007 4:05 PM

The pizza shed is called Gioia, and it is on Hopkins Street in Berkeley right up the block from Monterey Market... They don't do foie gras or EVEN escargots, but they get the crust and the drippy orange grease and the stringy cheese just right. As a homesick ex-part-time NYer, it is a happy thing for me. I may dedicate a book to them someday, because around deadlines these Diasporic Pizzafarians ensure that my children do not go hungry.

Also, they sell really cool t-shirts that say "best pizza west of the Jersey Turnpike," which is SO TRUE.

And Joshilyn and Jill are so pretty and cool and funny in real life. Like SERIOUSLY they both had me not merely hooting with laughter but also larding the air with *snork!* and *AAAAA!* noises of the "Help Help I Am Of A Sudden Stricken With An Utter Inability To Inhale Because You Guys' Sparkly Rapier Wit Hath Smote My Entire Cardiovascular System Asunder" variety, at many points during the afternoon.

Posted by Cornelia Read at June 13, 2007 4:18 PM

Umm, you could send me a copy of TGWSS and I promise to give you a wonderful blurb. I'm not sure how many people would buy it because some avid reader in San Diego gave it a good blurb, but it's worth a try. Just saying!

P.S. I too received my lovely prize package from the photo contest. My lovely little fox sits atop my desk and watches me work (or pretend to work) all day. Thanks lots.

Posted by Patti D. at June 13, 2007 5:07 PM

Not that I could actually wait, before, but now I RILLY RILLY RILLY can't wait to see you, and also those are DAMN FINE blurbs and you may dance for me when I arrive. I may even dance with you.

Posted by Mir at June 13, 2007 5:25 PM

Haven Kimmel? Haven Freaking Kimmel!!!!!!!

I shall kiss your feet. You must be some kind of holy.

I got the book and little fox with bear feet. They arrived today. I love the fox. When I won, I had thought of sending the book to my friend, Natalie. She died on Thursday, however. I just flew back home from her memorial service. Now, the book will sit until God tells me who will love it.

Posted by Heather at June 13, 2007 6:18 PM

Wow! Great blurbs, Joss! Such things should warrant priority status in the printing schedule, yes? *nods emphatically*

Also? I just gotta say that we have a pizza place within a block of work that makes a greasy, cheesy, foldable pizza that looks just 'zactly like what you displayed there, right down to the paper plates? Real live Yankee pizza is alive and well right here in central Texas? Who knew?

Also the second? How disturbing is it that a middle-aged, fashion-challenged guy like me actually knows what a 4-inch peeptoed slingback looks like? *sigh* Read author blogs much? Who, me? Nah.

Posted by David at June 13, 2007 9:00 PM

Great quotes, Peach! Congratulations! And we'll be getting our formal blurbs out to you soon, I promise!

I'm so glad you got to meet Cornelia who is a serious shop favorite (and I'm sad we didn't get to see you when you came up last, Cornelia, but I know you were super-busy and justifiably so! Such a fun group!), and she always keeps us entertained. Now if we can get BOTH of you up here together...well, no, that would be bad because I tend to cough when I laugh too much! Oh, but it would be such great fun!

Enjoy San Francisco, Peach. I know it's pleased and preening because you're there!

Posted by Fran at June 13, 2007 9:47 PM

WOOHOO on the blurbs!!! Homer Hickam nailed it about your writing, since I stayed up all night finishing "Between".

And DOUBLE WOOHOO since I see TGWSS is coming out in MARCH (I thought I had seen June or July), happy birthday to me!

Posted by Angel at June 14, 2007 2:26 AM

HAVEN KIMMEL gave you that blurb and you came away with only ONE bruise? Major kudos for your Spartan restraint. I bow before you.

Those are awesome blurbs, all of them, and you SHOULD be mighty proud of the work you've done. I can't wait to read it my own self.

Posted by Aimee at June 14, 2007 10:40 AM

Congrats on the blurbs! Now, please, please, say you'll be doing the reading for the audio version of Togwiss - you did a *fantastic* job on Between!

Posted by Cate at June 14, 2007 12:18 PM

Great blurbs! Although it was depressing to look at the page and realize the book is not coming out till March 2008. I thought it was much sooner, like in time to be my Christmas or birthday present.

Posted by TrudyJ at June 14, 2007 1:29 PM

Those blurbs are so great I will have to forgive you for being out of town when I am IN town. Maybe. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at June 14, 2007 2:49 PM

Joshilyn, honey, now really! A grain house with blessed sandwiches.
You need to come home now. You don't know what kind of people are out "there". This all sounds a little too northern or western or whatever. Don't hurt their feelings or anything,just tell 'em your calling your mama to come get you, spending the night sounded like a good idea at the time, but you just want to go home now.
COME HOME NOW, BEFORE YOU FRY YOUR BRAIN OR SOMETHING!
P.S what kind of blessing does a peanut butter and banana sandwich come with? or a potted meat?
:))))

Posted by Desi at June 14, 2007 4:11 PM

Congratulations on the blurbs!!! You deserve them. And you don't need Louise because you give us many wonderful days with this blog, and whenever anything good happens, like blurbs or Stephen Colbert, we want to hear about it!

And Louise sounds like she would become the devil wearing Prada when she grows up, so....we shall just ask for videos of you doing victory dances instead, how is that?

Posted by Laura Florand at June 15, 2007 10:33 AM

O, the blurby goodness!!!! Congrats. I'd dump Louise. I think she just served her short-lived purpose.

I just finished Water for Elephants and lurved it. Am in awe, awe, awe of Sara Gruen. Hate to say it, but she's better than Mellow Shroom.

Cornelia is my "other" favorite writer who blogs, so I'm loving that you two got together.

Happy research.