Comments: The End of the Dam Story

Sounds like Tim Gautreaux hearing this cousin of Bush Baby on talk radio and then thinking "What would it be like to be related to someone like that?" and writing the story "Little Frogs in a Ditch" from the point of view of the jerk's grandfather.

Posted by rams at May 4, 2007 8:16 AM

went to the midnight showing of spidey 3 last night--met my friend at a bookstore before hand, dragged her straight to the fiction to goggle at the new cover of between. "Look! There it is! And I saw it on her blog first? HOW NOT COOL AM I???"
Also, I work at a call center, and the other day I talked to a woman whose password (mmn) was set up as Crabtree--boy, when I was done with her she was going straight out to get the book AND the audio version...
can't WAIT until TGWSS comes out, pantPantPANT.

Posted by Elena at May 4, 2007 8:20 AM

I hope BB DOES end up in a book eventually, and maybe as more than just a minor character. I really want to see what your brain comes up with for how and why someone would end up like that, because I find those sorts of people so utterly baffling that they might as well be from a different galaxy.

Also, my husband would have been totally into the whole dam concrete discussion. He's baffling too, but in a much nicer way. :-)

Posted by DebR at May 4, 2007 9:18 AM

Glad Vickery's is still good. I prolly haven't been there in 15 years either.

I went to Ga. State for a while too--night school to finish my English degree so I could teach ninth graders to write in complete sentences. NOT.

Haters are the worst, aren't they? I haven't gotten any in person recently, but I get them on my bloggie every once in a while. I also get these random hater e-mails about articles I write for the local newspaper. Last week some woman berated me for quoting the American Academy of Peditricians' recommendation that kids only spend two hours or less watching TV each day. She seemed to think I was personally criticizing her for letting her kids vid out all day. I declined to respond, although some choice comebacks have been running through my head all week!

Glad Karen put the rude boy in his place.

Posted by Edgy Mama at May 4, 2007 9:47 AM

I'll bet poor BB was lying to you when he said he was just messing with your mind. I think he was secretly trying to share his pain with you. What a very sad story.

Posted by The Brother at May 4, 2007 9:55 AM

See, I love that! Not that he was a butthead, ofo course, because seriously... BUT I do love getting a peep at how other people's creative processes work. Thanks for sharing that.

Posted by Aimee at May 4, 2007 10:19 AM

Mean people suck. Deep, right?

My 7 year old daughter plays softball and I am the team parent. One of the girls on the team taught the rest the girls a cheer that I thought was a little mean spirited, and so I told them they weren't allowed to say it in the dugout during the game. And, more to the point, that they could cheer for themselves without tearing anyone else down. The same little girl said "It doesn't matter if you hurt their feelings. They're the *other* team." Where does that seperateness come from? That inability to feel someone else's pain?

On the bright side, wouldn't BBB be pained to know that someday he may inspire you to write something that will make you even more fabulously successful and make all the many people who love and admire you even more proud?

Posted by Laura at May 4, 2007 10:32 AM

Jealousy. That's all it is, Tulip. They see your gorgeous vivacious successful self and they just go all pea green. Try not to waste time hating them...they're taking care of that themselves.
And BB? If you're reading? Try AA.

Posted by Amy-Go at May 4, 2007 11:01 AM

Wow, I can't imagine anyone glaring at me IN A BAR just because the NFL Draft is on TV. WTF?

But Bush Baby? wow they shouldn't feed Martinis to anyone under the age of 18. I do hope he ends up in your book. And because we can't kill him and plant him under the tomatoes I think you should do something really mundane to him so he can be disappointing even in death. Like maybe he died on the toilet, with his pants down around his ankles, from a ruptured aortic aneurism after having been accepted to Harvard Law. The excitement at the thought of succeeding was just too much for him.

Just sayin'

I think I need more coffee, I'm developing a mean streak.

Posted by Cele at May 4, 2007 11:29 AM

Drunks can be like that... 8-/

How many alcoholics does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one - he holds the lightbulb and the whole world revolves around him.

lol

They'll get better, or they won't. Either way, it's not your problem.

Congrats on the lovely window display!! :D

Posted by Martha O'Connor at May 4, 2007 12:45 PM

Oh, I liked Karen's comeback. I don't know, those sorts of interactions are not all that uncommon 'round here, which I am absolutely certain is a north/south thing. When I visited the south for the first time I was literally taken aback by how friendly everyone was, including complete strangers, especially complete strangers! Which is not to say everyone up here is rude, not at all, but that I probably wouldn't be dwelling on it as much--it wouldn't seem so baffling. Which is sad in its own way, isn't it?

But I try to get into other people's heads, too. It's actually something I try to do with and in front of my kids after we've crossed paths with a rude clerk or whatnot, because I hope they get into the habit of not lashing back.

Posted by amy at May 4, 2007 1:55 PM

I beat your butt fair and square.

Posted by Karen Abbott at May 4, 2007 3:34 PM

That Karen sounds like a smart girl! Whats the name of her book and when does it come out?

As for the declawed cat trying to take a chunk out of your leg? Mine is declawed and he has literally walked right up to me and bit me for no reason.

Abd I really like Cele's idea for what to do with BB in a book!

Posted by Terri at May 4, 2007 5:42 PM

Speaking of Between, Georgia, I just wanted to tell you that we were in the bookstore today and, duh, me, I kept trying to think, "Who was that author that Joshilyn said she liked the other day on her blog?" and I went to go look it up the computer and halfway to the computer I stopped short, tripping my poor fiance, and shouted, "OHMYGOD! JOSHILYN'S BOOK IS OUT *RIGHT NOW*!!!"

No, really. Shouted. So, you know, if God and everybody in Maryland did't know your book is out in paperback, they do now. I ran (as fast as one can in flip-flops) and grabbed mine before the media that I summarily alerted could beat me to it.

Posted by Casey at May 4, 2007 11:03 PM

Ah Peach, okay. We'll go put Staff Pick stickers on all the copies of your books. No wait, we already did! Well, we'll think of something to let folks know we kinda liked the book. And gods too.

I can be just as mean and snarky as the next person - I'm pretty darned good at it, actually, but I just don't understand the need to spread meanness to other people, especially folks you don't know. I think the new Volkswagen ad campaign is right - "Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy." But I suspect those two unhappy folks (and BB was unhappy, make no mistake) either wanted some of your happiness to spill over onto them, or they simply were vampires, trying suck it all out of you.

My two cents, anyway.

Posted by Fran at May 4, 2007 11:06 PM

That is RUDE. I cannot believe how rude Bush Baby was. Little people alway try make other people little too.

Posted by Heather Cook at May 4, 2007 11:53 PM

Sadly, trolls are not just on the internet and make up a frightening percentage of the population, in my experience.

Posted by Brigitte at May 5, 2007 6:26 AM

See, this kind of stuff makes me very sad. I start to wonder where we, as a society, are going. And then, I stop in Starbuck's and the guy behind the counter gives me my tea for free, because he saw me open the door for an elderly lady and then didn't crowd her in the coffee line. And that makes me happy.

But then I start to think that behavior shouldn't be so remarkable as to merit a free cup of tea. It should be the rule. Right? And then I get depressed again. It's a vicious circle, I tell ya!

Posted by jenn2 at May 5, 2007 11:38 AM

I got a laugh 'cause I haven't heard "spit in our Wheaties" in a long time. . .that was good one.

Posted by Roxanne at May 5, 2007 12:52 PM

KAREN ROCKS! OMG what I would do to be able to give witty comebacks to snarkers. I think of them, hours later :P

And I just can't fathom anyone being mean to you. Anyone who has me in a dither, counting down the months until your next book comes out, deserves to be treated decently. ;)

Posted by Angel at May 5, 2007 3:24 PM

Bush Baby girlfriend left him last week. She didn't SAY it was due to the impotence, but they both knew that was it. And that night, he'd heard she was out with a friend of a friend whom he'd always suspected had a thing for her.

Two gorgeous, stacked women walked up to the bar he was drowning his sorrows at and not only were they full of life and happy memories, they didn't even notice him. Like he was invisible. Well. Better a little negative attention than being invisible, right?

Posted by Mir at May 5, 2007 9:04 PM

Oh, I can't wait to read about BB. Wacko jerks make the best characters, you know, those obnoxious people who you'd never want to be related to? Yeah, those, they make the best supporting characters and steel the show every time. That's why even our good guys need to be flawed to make them interesting. Seriously f*%&ed up flawed guys (aka BB) are uber interesting. Because why would anyone ask that???

But the Draft watchers should hold their moments of silence in their homes like I do, where everyone knows what day it is and is understanding when I yell "Pick!" Or, just shut up and watch the ticker at the bottom. It runs along the bottom all day, for crying out loud you bunch of morons. Don't expect silence in a public place. Morons. Glad they didn't ruin your day!

Posted by Michelle at May 6, 2007 8:45 AM

Oooh, oooh! Second Awesome Joshilyn moment of the week happened today (which has nothing whatever to do with this blog, but I despartely wanted to share).

I live in West Virginia. A while back a friend of mine living in Texas posted an open blog on her journal saying, "Anybody know any good books?" and I offered up gods in Alabama. Apparently, one of HER friends from California saw the recommendation and went out and read the book Right Then and loved it SO MUCH the e-mailed me to thank me for the recommendation (although he admitted to now having a mild fear of all Southern women).

So I have now spread the good word coast-to-coast and it worked and Amen.

Posted by Casey at May 6, 2007 10:04 PM

I'm new to your blog via Estella's Revenge and I already have you bookmarked!

p.s. That guy in the bar sounds like a jerk.

Posted by aka Nik at May 7, 2007 9:08 AM

Nah, I think the guy in the bar was trying to pick you up. And when you shot him down, ever so nicely and sweet ala Southern Girl Style, he didn't like the rejection. So he came back at you in a mean way. I love Karen's retort. It was perfect.

I loved MIR's take on what was going on in Bush Baby's head and life. And the little jab about the impotence - well it was a good one. I have a book running around in my head, too. I've been trying to develop the characters for about five years. I've started it three times but don't like what I've written. So I quit and ponder some more. And these characters are based on my real relatives. I've just never met them. That's cause they died a looooong time ago.

Hey Joshilyn, give us a short writing assignment. Like - tell in 100 words or less about a cashier at the walmart, or the waitress that brought your martini, or the guy wearing the sombrero hat, driving a cadillac suv with a floor lamp (!)strapped to the top and listening to Nora Jones on the radio, who is pumping gas at the pump next to you.

Posted by Rhonda at May 7, 2007 4:30 PM

If you are ever in the mood for a whole day of Hateful Bush Baby Glare, visit Westlake Village, California. It is a rich rich (did I say rich?) town full of people who think that their nouveau richeness gives them the right to act hateful to anyone and everyone...frinstance...

My friend Chris's wife was 8.75 months pregnant and waddling across a parking lot. A car zoomed up to her, screeched its brakes to stop and then honked***HONKED*** at this poor little tired woman struggling across the hot pavement. Shut my mouth!! But it was like that every single day, which is why I moved away and try to look back as little as possible.

Posted by Suebob at May 8, 2007 12:53 PM