Comments: Hearting Mr. Pan. Hating Alice.

My movie viewing is pretty limited, the last one I saw in theaters was Marie Antoinette, I promised my daughter it was a PRINCESS movie but her 3 yr old heart was unmoved by the beautiful cinematography. However, if I get the chance to see this I will definitely go on the strength of your recommendation.
Meet the Robinsons, the new Disney/Pixar, comes out today and that is probably what we'll see this weekend, but--I posted a bookshelf entry, inspired by you and DebR, so come by and check it out!

Posted by Elena at March 30, 2007 7:29 AM

Too bad that theater wasn't equipped with these new gadgets. He certainly classifies as a Chatty Cathy, although I do like Wanker better. :)

Regal Cinemas Begins Program to Nab Cellphone Users
12/1/06

"Getting in a quick word during a movie will no longer be safe if Regal has anything to do with it. They have begun a program at 25 different locations where frequent movie goers, who are more mature (not 14-year-old kids), will receive a pager-like device. From the pager you can push a button if there is a disruption in the audience, like someone talking on a cellphone, and it can also report problems with the projector, room temperature or other problems. Pushing a button will immediately summon an usher to the theater to shine their somewhat-bright flashlight in the face of the cellphone user and hopefully kick them out.

The persons using the pagers will also be rewarded for nabbing chatty Cathy's with free popcorn. The system may roll-out nationwide if the initial testing proves to be successful. Bravo, Regal Cinemas. Good to see you taking care of the these nuisances because we know the FCC isn't doing anything." – Travis Hudson

Posted by Andrea at March 30, 2007 7:49 AM

Do yourself a favor and remove Lady in the Water from your queue. It is TERRIBLE. I like M. Night S. as much as anyone, but this movie is truly, appallingly bad, and not in a good way. Don't waste your time like I did. Life is too short for movies that suck.

Posted by JuJuBeeQueen at March 30, 2007 8:17 AM

I second your hope about yammering guy and I wasn't even there.

PS...I disagree with JuJuBeeQueen. I was one of the few people in the world who liked Lady in the Water. Didn't love it, mind you...but liked it.

Posted by DebR at March 30, 2007 8:37 AM

Gah, I agree that sounds really frustrating, but, why hate Alice? I guess she could have smothered him with her pursee, but *she* wasn't talking?

Posted by redzils at March 30, 2007 8:37 AM

I watched the trailer and I really do want to see this movie. I figure it's nowhere in the Jackson TN area and I probably will have to wait until May.

I've had fairly good experiences with theaters and no talkers lately. Mostly I go to matinees with the grandchildren, except when I went alone to see DaVinci Code. There were only about 12 people in the theater and my Restless Leg Syndrome kicked in. I stood against a side wall for about an hour, shifting my weight from one leg to the other. But I wasn't standing in front of anyone and I didn't make any noise.

Jr. High - Carlyle, IL, Friday night movies, a place to meet your sweetie and make out. Dean Ducomb, Barnie Fife sized - big spectacled - sour puss of a man who threw at least six people out of the movie every Friday. Never understood why he didn't just give up and let Friday night be the teens night. Adults never would have attended that theater on Friday. Movies like Doris Day and Rock Hudson, John Wayne, Shirley McLaine, Natalie Wood (This Property Is Condemned - thought the movie house had shut down when they put that one on the marquee!) Ah, sweet memories.

Posted by Rhonda at March 30, 2007 8:45 AM

I have Lady in the Water on my side table to watch when all these grandkids leave today! Hubby going fishing and I'll have the evening to myself!

Anybody seen Eragon? I loved the books.

Posted by Rhonda at March 30, 2007 8:48 AM

your Q movies - I think we own most of them, except Running With Scissors. I want to see that one, so now I've added it to my Blockbuster Q (hey, that would be "BBQ" for short, huh?) I'm liking that I can take the BB ones straight back to the store if I want. Very cool.

I can't stand people that talk in movies. I have SIX children, and they are not allowed to talk in the movies. If they do, we all get up and leave. It's just a common courtesy thing. I admire your restraint in not doing Something Drastic, I'm afraid I would have tossed some popcorn at Wanker's head, at the very least.

Posted by dee at March 30, 2007 8:54 AM

Oh! I loved Pan's Labyrinth SO, SO MUCH. It was my favorite movie of last year, bar none. So gorgeous and moving and imaginative and heartbreaking, all at once. Everybody in the world should see it -- it will crack you open, in that good way.

Oh, and I *hate* wankers like that. We had one behind us last year who thought, since the movie was in English, it was okay for him to natter on in French.

Posted by Aimee at March 30, 2007 9:27 AM

I've been waiting for Pan to come to my boonies, and, finally, it is! It'll be at Asheville Pizza Company on the big screen within walking distance to my house all next week! Hurrah! Bonus: we can eat din-din and drink beer while watching the film. Although the beer part might not be a good idea if I need to like comprehend a story line.

Posted by Edgy Mama at March 30, 2007 9:28 AM

It is my dream to have enough money to walk up to someone like that in a theater and give them $100 to leave. Just to tell them, "this should cover dinner, the movie, snacks and the babysitter. Now just go to another movie. Now. Thank you. Leave. Here's your coat. Hurry along."

Posted by Jo at March 30, 2007 9:37 AM

the question, WHY HATE ALICE, has been posed.

Because Alice was COMPLICIT. She sat silent and let him do it. For the whole movie. He who stands by as evil happens etc etc...

He was SHUSHED by host of strangers who had no effect, but he cares about HER opinion. She could have have POLITELY said, "Let's talk about it after, I really want to watch this," or less politely, "Shut yer flapping pie hole, everyone in here hates you and I am starting to, myself," or she could have wound her purse strap around his throat and quietly throttled him. The tattoo of his desperately kicking feet as life fled his body would have been less disturbing than the patronizing lecture on South America, especially when you consider that the drumming of his heels would have been muffled by the thick coat of butter flavored oils that insulates the floor.

Posted by Joshilyn at March 30, 2007 10:12 AM

I've never even heard of Pan's Laybrinth but now I will have to wait for it to arrive on DVD, because folks, the last flick I saw on the big screen was Secondhand Lions.

Posted by Cele at March 30, 2007 10:47 AM

Alice would have had everyone's undying devotion had she stage whispered to him "I only bang mutes."

Posted by Laura at March 30, 2007 11:45 AM

Owls please.

Posted by The Brother at March 30, 2007 12:27 PM

Yes, Owls...or...are the owls going the way of the pink socks.....

On a totally different note, have you seen the Animaniacs on Youtube doing Hamlet. OMG I LOVE IT. That's about all the culture that's coming to Johnston County, NC lately. WE MISS YOU PLUFFY!!!!!!

Posted by Gabi at March 30, 2007 1:11 PM

Oh I loved Lady in the Water! I did! I don't know if it's a good or bad movie, I liked the characters and their weirdness. The beastie was scary enough for me, who has to watch really scary movies through her finger armor and who screamed out loud in the theatre when she was watching The Grudge.

Posted by Heather Cook at March 30, 2007 3:35 PM

Hi, cultural nitwit here. Last movie I saw in a theater? Um, it had Dawson (from Dawson's Creek) in it and it was about football? Can't remember the name. He had to draaaawl though, because it was set in Texas. (Anyone? yeah, probably not worth remembering.) I thought about seeing the FIRST Harry Potter movie in the theaters but I was 9 months pregnant when it came out and figured I'd see more of the bathroom than anything else. And so, then I had a kid, and another kid, and I can't remember the last time I left the house without a child for long enough to see a movie. Not to mention I'm betting ticket prices have risen so much in the past five years that I'd have a heart attack.

We really need to get Netflix...

Posted by amy at March 30, 2007 6:15 PM

I agree with Jo that it would be very nice to just hand them the money in order to get them to leave and make movie going a pleasant experience. I also really liked Andrea's post about the pagers. I really enjoyed Second Hand Lions, such a good movie, I love re-watching it. Last movies I saw in theater were Over the Hedge and X-Men 3. Just can't afford to go anymore.
I finished Between, Georgia last week. Sooo good! Thank you Joshilyn!

Posted by Tina at March 30, 2007 10:30 PM

" ... or less politely, "Shut yer flapping pie hole, everyone in here hates you and I am starting to, myself," or she could have wound her purse strap around his throat and quietly throttled him. The tattoo of his desperately kicking feet as life fled his body would have been less disturbing than the patronizing lecture on South America ..."

Bahahahaha!

Even your tossed-off comments are funnier than most published books written over the course of many years.

Posted by Monique at March 30, 2007 10:37 PM

You should have gotten a bucket o' sodey and accidentally tripped and dumped it in his lap, apologizing profusely, of course. I bet the rest of the audience would have applauded. Heh. And Alice might have laughed.

Posted by ZaZa at March 31, 2007 2:58 AM

Ooh, I like that Regal Theaters pilot program, hope it catches on.

I've never even seen ads for this movie, I'll have to see it someday - someday when hubby is out, if it's subtitled.

Posted by Brigitte at March 31, 2007 6:07 AM

I hope you get a chance to watch The Holiday soon. I watched it with a girlfriend last night and we laughed ourselves silly and snorted Cooler out our noses! The writing was excellent and prompted us to pause the movie so we could copy down the "nuggets" of truisms. We ignored the bits of "cheesiness" and shamelessly oogled Jude Law, who was SO sexy and then OH SO ADORABLE. This movie defines the term "chick-flick" in the best way possible.

Posted by LiseB at March 31, 2007 12:24 PM

"The Prestige"-- very fun.

Posted by parrotzmom at March 31, 2007 2:19 PM

Well at least The Wanker made for a great blog! hate it when people talk in films... I don't want to see Pan's... though, because I saw a trailer of it with an eye coming out of a palm and I am 'eye squeamish' times A MILLION!

ps: I don't think Americans realise how rude a word 'wanker' is over here - definitely a R-rated ;)

Posted by diane at March 31, 2007 2:32 PM

We just sent Snakes on a Plane back to Netflix, highly encourage bumping it up to number one spot on your queue and this from a literary and film Snobby McSnooterson, though I *do* enjoy some low-brow on occasion.

Your theater wanker reminds me of the episode of Jackass I watched last night in which Johnny Knoxville went into a yoga class with really bad gas. He expelled all the way through the exercises, excessively. NO ONE SAID A WORD. They just laughed about it once he left.

Americans are polite to a fault. Everyone in that theater who didn't say something to talkie is just as responsible as Alice.

Posted by Sabra at March 31, 2007 4:53 PM

I am so brokenhearted... I was before I read this but now I really am. On Tuesday after my blood transfusion we were going past one of the theaters in town and they were playing Pans Labyrinth which I have soooo wanted to see even before reading this blog. So I decided I would beg my husband to take me this Sunday. I was going to get dressed on purpose and drag my fatigued self in to see that movie I wanted to see so so badly. It is the one thing I have really wanted to do in months enough, to really put forth the effort even though I hate so much doing nothing but doctors appointments. This was going to be the big outing... and they took it out of the theater between Tuesday and Friday!!!! I am crying...

I live in the biggest town for 300 miles so no chance of it appearing anywhere else within driving distance, we only have 2 more theaters within 100 miles anyway and they are too small to even think about a movie like Pans Labyrinth. Truthfully sometimes we arent big enough for a movie like Pans Labyrinth.

So my poor broken heart is going to have to wait for the DVD.

I was even more excited reading about what you said about the movie (I mean aside from the distractions) I just know I am going to love it. I wanted to see it on the big screen.

Glad you got to see it even if it was not an ideal situation. I will count days until the 15th when I can finally see it. Nothing else in the theaters even came close to something I wanted to see enough to make the effort. Some great movies but that, I just know, is something special. And I guess one good thing about seeing it in my own living room is that if my husband cant shut up I can put him out in the field with gravy in his hair for the coyotes.

FTK is such a blessing to me. I miss seeing other things you used to write but I love visiting you here even more.

Kimmie (Keja)

Posted by kimmie at March 31, 2007 11:53 PM

I had a movie epiphany one day recently when checking out movie 'times.' The normally dim light bulb over my head did a super-nova surge making my eyes bug out and actually notice, as in SEE, it was possible to go to a movie before my car makes it's once a day scheduled appearance in the car-pick-up-line at SCHOOL. Yes, yes, I have become a movie glutton! And the 'crowd' during a week-day matinee tends toward being well-mannered older (read that as retired) folks...no yakkers...no cell phones...just quiet, quiet, quiet. Plus, by 'crowd' I'm talking at the most maybe 20-30 people max! I've also had a 'Private Viewing' with just me which was cool but equally creepy being the ONLY one there. Popcorn for lunch became my fiber of choice- until I realized that my munching and crunching now made ME the annoying NOISY person in the theatre. YIKES! So, I now try to crunch the big fistfuls of stuff during the loud parts of the movie and otherwise try to noiselessly mash it to death during the quiet parts. Is this nuts or what? BUT necessary because I've learned my older-well-mannered-crowd can turn on a dime and become pro-actively-nasty. Like the day the '3 red hat ladies' came in, sat down, and promptly forgot they weren't in their living rooms and started chatting during the previews "...I had that lamp once,...who's that actor?...isn't he divorced?...I want a car like that...her hair is ugly...she had a facelift, etc.
etc. etc...." UGH! I thought to myself, "there is just NO WAY I'm putting up with this during the movie!" The movie music started, the red-hats started yakking (..about how much they wanted to see the movie..) AND everyone else in the theatre turned at them and went SHHHHHH!!!!! Which shut them up UNTIL the movie itself started when one of them (...wonders how many kids that actor has now...) AND everyone else went SHHHH!!! Which shut them up UNITL, well you know what happened next, AND everyone else GETS UP and walks over toward where they are sitting and tells them to SHUT UP or leave. Never heard a peep out of them after that... and I'm thinking of maybe giving up popcorn...

Posted by jean at April 1, 2007 9:13 AM

Are you absolutely certain that Alice wasn't a blow-up doll? ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at April 2, 2007 9:38 AM

Ack, Alice's boyfriend was at my movie, too! This post was just way too funny (someone may have almost wet her pants from laughing so hard, but I'm not saying who.) Take Maisy and Sam to Meet The Robinsons if you are so inclined. We went and (despite Alice's boyfriend) it was brilliant in its 3-D awesomeness! No one does 3-D like Disney (it was like being at the theme park and seeing one of those 3-Ds) and Maisy would be wicked cute in the glasses!

Posted by Mallory at April 2, 2007 9:47 AM

Pan's Labyrinth is truly not to be missed. One of my all time top favorites. Gorgeous. Saw it on the big screen. 16 year old daughter also blown away, as well as husband who was dragged there.

Posted by Mindy Friddle at April 2, 2007 9:59 AM

I saw Pan's Labyrinth and I totally agree. It was amazing. Shockingly enough it was actually playing on 3 screens in a Texas city? I know, I was just as stunned, but this is Austin.

I love your blog, and love your novels, thanks for reminding me of home.

Posted by Bobby at April 2, 2007 11:42 AM

Maybe Alice was blind, and the wanker was helping her "watch" the movie??? More than likely, she was asleep, and you couldn't hear her snores over his narrative.

Posted by Therese at April 2, 2007 12:18 PM

You know when you interview authors you ask about their book covers? And how there's always a story there, etc.? Well, I thought you might like this: http://covers.fwis.com/

Also, I saw Pan's Labyrinth when it was still at the theater. Nope, not a kid flick... But a visual delight for grown-ups who still remember what it was like to be ten.

Posted by Stephanie at April 2, 2007 1:59 PM

Daughter "awww"ed at the description of "The Holiday". It has replaced "Love Actually" as the chick-flick of choice in our house. The story was sweet, and honestly, Jude Law is just freakin adorable.
Snakes on a Plane? Would you believe I actually bought that movie after reading your blog? Of course you would. I wached the first few minutes of it, and couldn't get past the guy getting beat to a pulp. My 5yo assures me it gets 'way, waaay better, mom, 'specially when the snakes come out and...' yeah, you get the picture.
PL sounds sublime. Can't wait to see it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted by dee at April 2, 2007 6:19 PM