Comments: Hew Weal Fuw Coat

Thank you for the bookshelf breakdown. Now I have myself quite a reading list.

I love how you've captured Maisy's pronunciation. My son is also 4 and he can't say "girl" or "squirrel" or any word that ends in that type of sound. It comes out sounding more like "squirrah" and "girrah" but with a very glottal sound. I totally love it.

I kind of like the pink socks with the sandals. As one with constantly cold feet I'm often tempted to wear socks with mine. However, in my case fashion prevails. I will say, though, that the pink socks bring out the pink in the dress. :)

Posted by Leandra at March 23, 2007 11:17 AM

You mean there are OTHER people who see pictures of bookshelves and squint and squooch to see what each and every book is? I find this very reassuring. I will be hunting these books down to cram into my already-crowded shelves.

And I adore the Weal Fuw Coat. Perhaps you can put Maisy on the case with your buddy to knit next year's treasure.

Thanks for giving me a lot to smile about this morning!

Posted by Diane at March 23, 2007 11:22 AM

Ah, I am not one for autographs, asking for them, collecting them, gloating over them. BUT I WILL KILL FOR A SIGNED FIRST EDITION. The weirdness of me. Does anyone know how to get Jane Austin to sign a copy?

Joke really, I know I have to go to extremes for it.

Posted by Cele at March 23, 2007 11:28 AM

I adore Haven Kimmel's writing, all of it, the memoirs too. And I LIKED The Planets. (Go, Mr. Husband.) Thank you for quite honestly pandering to your FTK regs, although, you know, you are just FEEDING into our anal retentiveness when it comes to bookshelves and now it's all just a weird co-dependent type of thing. Nevertheless, I will bookmark this page for future reading ideas....

THANKS! You rock. Oh, and I knit but I wouldn't knit either of those, um, garments (using the word *very* loosely)

Posted by amy at March 23, 2007 11:38 AM

THANK YOU for the book titles. And especially for the Beth Anne Fennelly book and the recommendation, because I just found out that my very bestest friend in the whole world is pregnant and I am going to go and order that for her right. this. second.

Posted by Aimee at March 23, 2007 11:53 AM

First of all, Maisy looks gorgeous in hew weal fuw coat. Yay Lydia of the Many Talents!!

Second of all, thank you for the close-up photo of the shelf and the list o' books! (:::prance:::) You have some I've read and liked, and some I want to read but haven't yet, and some I've never heard of until now. You made my shriveled black anal-retentive little heart very happy. :-)

Now about that next shelf - "MY Daddy...????" :-D

Posted by DebR at March 23, 2007 12:12 PM

I'm sorry, I meant the BLUE socks bring out the BLUE in the dress....your inside joke about the pink socks threw me off.

Posted by Leandra at March 23, 2007 12:55 PM

Anyone who recognizes the worth of Haven Kimmel's novels can do no wrong, so I wouldn't dream of pointing out that neither Longitude nor Galileo's Daughter are novels either because I'm cetain that some deep deep logic inhabited your conclusion which is simply beyond my simple self. (Actually, I was kinda hoping Scott was going to field that one...)

Posted by rams at March 23, 2007 2:08 PM

Strange, my own copy of Christ The Lord is sitting in my office on the bookshelf, yet unopened. I am not sure why, just as you noted. I just as of yet have not opened it yet. I love all of her books, and love reading historical religious books as well, and so I thought that this might be a way to combine two of my loves...but i can't say for sure, because i haven't read it....yet.

Posted by kim at March 23, 2007 2:38 PM

I LIKE this bookshelf thing! Let's do a meme where everybody else shows their bookshelves, too. In fact, I wrote a post to do something like that to try to FORCE your hand I so wanted to see your bookshelf. But I got distracted with chocolate medusas in my blog instead and haven't had time to post it. So, since you went ahead and did that anyway, I say EVERYONE ELSE should, too. (So my unposted post won't be wasted and because I LOVE to see bookshelves.)

Also, you have very good taste in galleys. I'm just saying. :)

And Haven Kimmel is fabulous.

And we are not anal retentive. Bookshelves are fascinating. That's all.

Posted by Laura Florand at March 23, 2007 3:02 PM

Everyone else should post their bookshelves. Not get distracted by chocolate medusas.

Seriously, I can write clearly when I revise about 15 times.

Posted by Laura Florand at March 23, 2007 3:04 PM

Oooh, thank you so much for those knitting links. I'm supposed to be designing some knitwear patterns for a friend's shop, but I look at stuff like that and wonder if that's what I'm supposed to do. Not gonna happen. I'm always thinking, yes, you could probably knit a poncho for a grizzly, or a bikini for your poodle, or something that looks like furry bondage gear for your three year old, but why, oh WHY would you want to???

So nice to see someone else who's less afraid to say it out loud on the Internets. Lily livered coward here. But no more! Maybe. Really, I love these links.
Your books are nice and envy-provoking, too. ;+)

Posted by ZaZa at March 23, 2007 3:08 PM

I am rather fond of Dava Sobel. If any of you have never read Longitude, you should go right now and read it. That book is a marvel. It's true that none of the Dava Sobel books listed are novels, but they are all excellent stories, told in very imaginative ways. I've decided just to let it go and be happy one of my books has made a guest appearance here.

As for Haven Kimmel, Something Rising Light and Swift was one of my favorite reads last year. Big thumbs WAY up. Of course, anyone who knows me would be able to tell you that I'd be a sucker for that book.

Posted by Mr. Husband at March 23, 2007 3:13 PM

Wow. I wouldn't like having to defend all the books on my many bookcases to anyone. As it is, whenever I move, my parents always come to help me unpack--my dad got the books this time--and I hear lots of wordless commentary.

I wouldn't call Turning Angel a series, it just uses the same characters as The Quiet Game. The Quiet Game was based on an actual event in Natchez and Turning Angel is just bad, sensationalized, sexy fiction. Brain candy. (but mine IS signed)

Posted by dynagirl at March 23, 2007 3:30 PM

A signed Dick Francis??? I bow to you and sigh out of book envy.

Posted by LaLa at March 23, 2007 4:06 PM

Speaking of books and color and crafty people, how's this for a bookshelf? PS, it's not mine, but I have to admit I am looking at my books in a whole new way...

Posted by Sharon at March 23, 2007 5:16 PM

Ah HAA! I KNEW that bookshelf was too neat to be owned by an author. Then the rest of the story came out - books in the basement, books in boxes, books in your room - now it makes more sense. And scares me that my house is not the only one with books everywhere! Bought a four shelf barrister book case at Lowes for my office. Hubby secured it to the wall so it wouldn't fall on a grandchild, dog, cat or myself. It's so crammed with books I can't even close the glass doors! And I LOVE IT! Did yall see the article on ABC's Nightline about people with cluttered desks being more creative than orginzed people? Didn't say if that applied to bookcases. But of course it does!

I, too, own a copy of Ann Rice's Christ the Lord. It's on audio book. I listened to it - every word. Can't remember too much about it. That's the drawback with audio sometimes, can't go back and randomly open and scan it. The printed word is better than the spoken word. (Although Joshilyn speaks the word very well.) I guess that's why God put His Word in writing before audio!

About children not pronouncing words and letters well. I'm sure we all have stories of funny words. My alnost twelve year old niece, MACY!, called watermelon "tobbie" when she was two. No idea where that came from. She also prouounced "k" as "t" so when I asked what she was thankful for at Thanksgiving dinner she said, "titties." Age four and meaning "Kitties," of course. She didnt' understand what was so funny about that.

Posted by Rhonda at March 24, 2007 8:21 AM

The absolute adorable preciousness of Maisy in the coat is just too much for words. THat photo reminds me of the one from Disney World (where my work colleague just broke her ankle but attested to the fact that they do, indeed, have incredibly clean restrooms. . .and they gave her a wheel chair. . .and paid for the the ambulance TO the emergency room and the taxi FROM the emergency room) where she is with Cinderella, and her excited energy just jumps out of the computer screen. It's a wonder all of the windows in your home are not shattered by that many good vibes coming off of one such tiny creature.

Cannot wait to read some of these books to pass the time until your new one comes out.

Posted by Roxanne at March 24, 2007 11:35 AM

I'm about to write an article about a company that is facilitating real life advertising in the Second Life world, and I keep flashing back to Kevin G's novel. It is real! It is scary! Anyway, once I get the article going, I might see if KG will give me some good quote about his vision becoming reality. He's fricking Asimov!

Thanks for the run-down of the shelf. And the gorgeous photos of your adorable girl. I can't show my girl the photo of the fuzzy pink coat, because, though she is very much a tomboy, she LOVES pink, fuzzy clothes. I'm thinking she needs some pink, fuzzy shorts to go with her softball jersey.

Posted by Edgy Mama at March 25, 2007 9:00 PM

Did I ever tell you my favorite signed book I own? It is THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTION TO BREST-LITOVSK, by one L. Trotsky, in the red paperback Edinburgh Workingman's Press pb edition from 19mumble-mumble. And it was not until I was 18 and taking economics from my "don" Frank Roosevelt that I actually opened it, only to discover it had once belonged to one Sean Connery.

This had been in my bookshelf since I was, like, eight years old or something, because I was pretty much the only one in my family who liked to read (I used to say to my sister Freya that her middle name was "can't," as in "FREYA CAN'T READ," and she would say "NO. My middle name is DOESN'T WANT TO BECAUSE IT'S STUPID." But now she reads, only she reads Romance novels mostly).

ANYWAY, back to the Trotsky text... I called my mom from college and said "Um, Mom? Why do I have Sean Connery's copy of a Trotsky book?" and She said "because it was my second husband's second wife's [that would be the one immediately preceding Mom] and she divorced him in kind of a hurry and left her library with him in LA in 1950mumblemumble. But before that she took an acting class with Connery before he made it big and he lent it to her, hoping to convince her to become a communist or something..."

Sometimes I think I should send it back to him, with a letter that says "Dear Mr. Connery, I thought maybe you might want this back so we don't blow your cover about that whole James Bond thing, because I think M and Q might not be so excited about finding out that you're the fourth man or whatever." But then I think he probably has LOTS of books now and doesn't really NEED this one, right?

Posted by Cornelia Read at March 26, 2007 12:34 AM

My mom gave me the Anne Rice book for Christmas a year ago, and I said, "mmm-hmm, thanks," and shoved it into a dark corner. I chalked that up to the fact that I was ABOUT TO GET MARRIED, GOD!
But then it sat around, untouched, for over a year.
Books do not sit around like that. Not in my world.
Well, I finally read it - last month. Liked it a lot. Still don't know what to say about it. Except maybe this: go ahead. It won't bite.

Posted by Kira at March 26, 2007 12:35 AM

And MAISY!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! What a fabulous child!!!!! And are those dancing Disney Princess stickers backwards, in the windows next to her?

Posted by Cornelia Read at March 26, 2007 12:35 AM

I just wanted to let you know that, inspired by your post and by Laura's challenge, I posted photos of some of my bookshelves today.

Posted by DebR at March 26, 2007 8:53 AM

Read "Christ the Lord". As one who has read nearly all things Rice, I can say that the book is simultaneously expected and unexpected. The prose is rich, the research deep, as one expects from Anne Rice. Unexpected is the devotion to the subject of the book, so tender and obvious -- it's very moving. And I am not a Christian.

Posted by parrotzmom at March 26, 2007 9:33 AM

First, I am CRYING fromjealousy that you sat by the great and fabulous Nikki. Did her wonderfullness have a glow about her? I want to BE her for crying out loud.

YES! It was ME! Paula Wall DID remind me of you. Paula Wall is my secret book mistress. I am going to marry her if it ever becomes legal to marry authors against their will.

Posted by Heather at March 26, 2007 1:50 PM

Loved Something Rising Light and Swift but have not had the pleasure of reading Solace. The library does not have it.

When I tried Making Waves, I couldn't really get into it, but I LOVED Sunday Wife and Same Sweet Girls.

Posted by Heather at March 26, 2007 2:02 PM

Thank you so much for the detailed description of what's on your bookshelf! Whenever I visit someone for the first time, the first things I check out are the bookshelves. I thought we would only have the priviledge of squinting at our computer screens in order to decipher the titles last week when you posted the lamp picture. I have to check out Cast of Shadows now.

I can't comprehend how authors are able to produce books but still have time to read the books of other authors. I am in awe of your time management skills.

Posted by Elizabeth at March 26, 2007 2:17 PM

heh, I TRUMPS YOU ALL with my SIGNED FIRST EDITIONS of gods and between, not only by you, Joss, but Sam as well! And I still have the bookmarks he & Maisy made me, too (runs feathers through beak repeatedly).
ALSO, do NOT let Maisy everEverEVER glimpse the commercial for Lelli Kelly shoes. Don't go to eBay and search for them, either. Even if they WOULD be dynamite with that great dress. Once you see the price tag, you'll know why I warned you.

Posted by Elena at March 26, 2007 8:58 PM

Maisy is so very adorable in her coat! It is a save-forever (the coat, and Maisy too). Regarding the socks and sandals - at least they totally match the outfit.

My sister and I love to go to the Wal-Mart in the little Wisconsin town by her cottage because, as she says, "you can wear socks with your sandals and no one cares."

Merci beaucoup for the peek at your bookshelf.

Posted by JenniferG at March 27, 2007 11:46 AM