Comments: 3 Questions with Melanie Hauser (and how I know my dog is stupid)

That picture is hilarious!!

I remember a few years ago, some researcher was trying to rank how smart certain dog breeds are (or aren't) and one of the tests was to throw a towel over the dog's head and see how quickly s/he got rid of it. In the interview I saw, the researcher was laughing, saying the basset hound "failed" the test because he was just so laid back that he never bothered to try to get rid of the towel at all. He just kind of seemed to go "oh, hey, that's nice" and hunkered down for a nap, towel and all. :-D

Posted by DebR at March 8, 2007 8:53 AM

Your dog is so happenin' that ALL the pooches will be sporting that same look soon.What did Schubert think?

Posted by Roxanne at March 8, 2007 9:34 AM

Book sounds interesting. May have to check it out.
And the dog? Oh, that's just priceless.

Posted by dee at March 8, 2007 10:43 AM

Haha! My dog Muffy did the same thing years ago, back when McDonald's still sold Happy Meals in cardboard boxes. Unless Bagel REALLY <3's orange soda, I think Muffy made out better than he did - the smacking and snorking sounds that came from the box could only be translated to utter bliss. While it was hilarious, I, of course, was out a Happy Meal.

Posted by Eighmee at March 8, 2007 12:18 PM

Actually, had a dumb cat that did it with a yogurt container once. No, I won't decide which critter is dumber!

Posted by Brigitte at March 8, 2007 12:51 PM

My brother's basset once walked into a large (empty) bag of dog food and then couldn't get out. I came home to a HOWLING bag of food with just the very tip of a white tail sticking out (still wagging even in her incarcerated state). I swain that if that dog's tail ever stopped wagging she would drop dead.

Posted by Chris at March 8, 2007 2:16 PM

My Jack Russell terrier spends days digging in my sons' beds looking for them. My boys go back to school, of course fail to make their beds, and the dog keeps diggin' under the sheets like, "I know there was a boy in here last time I looked. He spends so much darn time in this dang bed, betcha he's here."

Poor, sweet, stupid dog. He just doesn't get it until I take the sheets off the bed and march them to the laundry room. Then he sits there and watches the machine, until, I guess, boy smell disapears.Then he just has to make do with their dirty socks!

I love that dawg!

Posted by Gin at March 8, 2007 3:07 PM

Got to go read the Super Mom books!

Particularly since I'm almost done with the first book in the Edgy Mama mystery series, and I'm sure all the lovers of Super Mom are going to want to meet Edgy, right?

I love your stupid dog too. Great shot!

Posted by Edgy Mama at March 8, 2007 3:24 PM

Oh bless his little doggie heart! Look at his floppy ears wedged against the box. That is hilarious!

I had cat that would get the "night crazies" (run around like crazy then go in the bathroom and meow. over and over). I awoke one time to weird sounding night crazies, turned on the light, and there he was, running around with his head stuck in a kleenex box.

Posted by Jennifer G. at March 8, 2007 4:13 PM

I think I have those boots you are wearing.

I heart Super Mom. It's on my wish-list!

Posted by Heather Cook at March 8, 2007 4:14 PM

Your dog makes me happy, even from 1000 miles away. That's one powerful dog :)

I am an apartment dweller. [Therefore] I have two cats. They are named Stan and Oliver. Oliver is the smart one. He opens cabinets to find cat treats. Which is why I now keep those in the freezer. He's big enough to open doors with knobs, and has figured out how (fortunately, only if it's not shut all the way.) When he escapes, he never tries the same escape route twice. Though he's more circumspect since the last time, when that strategy landed him hock-deep in mud.

Stan, however, is not the smart one. Stan talks to the furnace. Stan chews on nail files. He has yet to figure out that if your prey sees you, you are no longer stalking it. And he once managed to get his head through the handle of a plastic bag. He was so distressed by this that he ran and hid under the queen sized bed. Which the Boy Fiend then had to *lift up* to get at the cat, so he could disentangle the bag from the cat's head.

Oh, and I've hijacked your Mental Illness Number concept on my journal. With lots of credit, of course.

Posted by Alix R at March 8, 2007 4:52 PM

What a sweet Dog. They are so much like kids. I'm sure one of my kids got their head stuck in something before. My dog, BJ, is a squirrel dog. She will stand at the window until she sees one move and then burst forth a bark that would wake the dead. If she's really excited, she'll jump at the window. Last month she broke out a pane. Didn't hurt her, she just ran to the door to chase the squirrel. My cat Bandit was missing for two days. Figured out he was shut up in hubby's shop, where a fish cleaning was happening. Bandit was at the door meowing like a Banshee (what's a Banshee, anyway?) He was just a little hungry, but is fine.

Posted by Rhonda at March 8, 2007 8:49 PM

Do you want an answer to the Banshee (or strictly speaking Bann Sidhe) question? They announce when someone's going to die by shrieking.

What a fabulous picture of a perfectly wonderful dawg! He's obviously not completely happy, no tail waggies, but absolutely trusting that you'll get him out safely.

Have you seen the flying howler monkey toys? You put your fingers into their paws, haul back on their feet and let fly, and they scream when they land. I shot one today and our older dog leaped up to pounce on it, anxious to kill it and save us from it. We were laughing while we saved the poor now-soggy toy. Gotta love the pooches!

Posted by Fran at March 8, 2007 11:22 PM

Thank you for the explanation of a Bann Sidhe. I pretty well had it pegged, didn't I? And Bandit was howling because my husband was going to die! For locking him in the shop!

Posted by Rhonda at March 9, 2007 3:30 PM

I have to say that I was just scanning through and saw the pic of your dog-- now THAT is funny.

Posted by parrotzmom at March 12, 2007 11:08 AM

I'm pretty sure I own your stupid dog's stupid twin. I had to do a double take because I thought it was MY stupid dog sticking out of a box.

Posted by Stacy at March 16, 2007 10:00 PM