Comments: To Love and Not Love

OH OH OH I love the cover! Did you lick it when you saw it? I bet you did.

Posted by Mir at February 16, 2007 9:01 AM

I'm totally with you on the Mac/PC thing. I LOVE those commercials -- I especially love PC guy but I no longer want a PC! I used to be very anti-Mac (Mac users always seemed so smug!). But now I totally want one.

Posted by Leandra at February 16, 2007 9:16 AM

Just read the interview. I'm looking forward to March 2008, I can tell you. And thank you for the advice to writers & aspiring writers. I will probably print that out and hang it off my monitor. Enjoy the weekend...

Posted by amy at February 16, 2007 9:20 AM

Great cover! It just captures the whole story in one image. Sometimes you CAN judge a book by its cover.

I always feel a little sorry for PC even when he gets all snarky.

Posted by Jennifer G. at February 16, 2007 9:29 AM

Beautiful cover! I think I'm being Mac-jacked (hijacked by the Mac people)! The new company I work for uses mac and I just saw some really nice software that I really, really, really want but can only have on the dreaded mac. I'm just afraid my dad will take up residence in my house and haunt me forever if I betray him by buying one of those darn things!

Posted by Michelle at February 16, 2007 9:43 AM

Great cover? Do you get the yellow dress and the cool green suitcase when they're done with it?

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 16, 2007 10:21 AM

I meant great cover exclamation point! Not question mark!!!!!!

Posted by Edgy Mama at February 16, 2007 10:22 AM

WONDERFUL COVER!!! YEA YEA YEA!!!!!

and i've been a mac person since my folks bought the apple 2 way way back in the very early 80s. took the handaround apple 2c with me to college and got the handaround mac my senior year of college. i didn't realize i was being smug *smile*

it *is* nice to not worry quite so much about the viruses...

and the ads are just BRILLIANT!

almost as brilliant as you *beam*

Posted by kristen at February 16, 2007 10:42 AM

Oh, the new cover is just GAWGEOUS! And LOVE TO YOU for hooking me up with Odie, because I freaking lurve that video.

Posted by Aimee at February 16, 2007 10:44 AM

Man, who are these magical people who can read a book and get such a perfect image to sum it up with such class?...

I, too, have been a Mac-er (Mac-ker? Maccer? Owner and user of a Mac!!) since forever plus two days prior to that. In fact my sister started her schooling to become a computer programmer w/ this ancient Mac in our basement. And I have been totally smug about it! No evil empire I! (please ignore the Microsoft Office applications smeared all over my Mac.)

My only fear is that if Macs truly get popular and mainstream then all the hackers will finally notice us sitting over here and our smugness (smugitude? Smugiosity? sigh.) will finally be our downfall.

(Macs rule. Shhhhh...)

Posted by Femtastic at February 16, 2007 11:52 AM

Hey, I didn't mean to o-fend anyone with my "smug" comment. It looks like you guys all had a reason to be smug! Can I please be smug, too? :)

By the by, --and not to offend anyone else, I realize I'm far too judgemental about things don't really matter, but really, don't we all have our smuggity smugness about something?-- I used to feel the same way about Coke drinkers (I was diehard Pepsi). Now I'm a Coke convert. Guess my convictions aren't too strong, huh?

Posted by Leandra at February 16, 2007 12:05 PM

Hmmm, I am will probably be a pc'er for ever, but I've nothing against Macs. The commercials are cute, but I don't really get them, I just think the actor is hot (in that laid back geeky sort of hacker way)for someone who is way too young for me that the thought police would throw me into jail and give the key to Hoffa so I can't get out ever because said actor is way to young for me. Breathe. I really liked him in Ed, which made me watch Jeepers Creepers, and I dont' do horror per se.

What was the topic?

Oh, great cover Joss, very southern.

Posted by Cele at February 16, 2007 12:09 PM

Oooooh, pretty cover! When will it be available?

Is it wrong if JUST ONCE I want to see PC kick Mac's butt? Y'know, just SNAP and LOSE IT and WHALE on the dude? Because I think that would be really satisfying, somehow. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at February 16, 2007 12:37 PM

I'm not about to give up my PC for a Mac, but I do think those Mac commercials are brilliant. They are among the few commercials I will occasionally listen to instead of hitting the mute button.

I'm snickering that you answered one of your own life history questions wrong in the interview. That SO sounds like something I would do!! Oh well, the wrong version sounded really good. :-D

Posted by DebR at February 16, 2007 1:02 PM

I LOVE the new cover! I think I'll have to buy it even though I already own a preordered hardback version. And hey...a cover blurb from Anne Rivers Siddons--well done, Joss!

Fascinated by your question about Miss Snark, I cut and pasted about 600 words from her blog in this: http://www.bookblog.net/gender/genie.php. It tests writing to see if the author is male or female. She tested male by a small margin. ;-)

Then again...so did I on blog entries, and I'm definitely female (my WIP was overwhelmingly female, which is good since the POV character is a woman).

Posted by Katrina Stonoff at February 16, 2007 4:05 PM

Great cover!!! I have excruciating cover envy now.

So, speaking of things to love, I just happened to run into Elizabeth the other day (not knowing her from Adam), and she said, "Laura...wait. Are you Laura of the Truffles?"

Which, you know, I have now adopted, and I've even written to the Queen of England to inform her that when she knights me, she must dub me "Dame Laura of the Truffles." (And I'll just drop the Dame, because who wants to be a Dame, really? And I'll just go by Laura of The Truffles, kind of like the Lady of the Lake but with truffles instead.)

Hi, Elizabeth! It was really cool to meet you like that.

Posted by Laura Florand at February 16, 2007 5:02 PM

Hey. Okay, third post of the day, which is some kind of record, I guess, but I'm home sick with a vomiting 18 month old, so Joss's blog is the perfect antidote (in fact, when I told my mom my daughter was sick she said "You should just let the dog in" -- I had sent her the link about the Fairies.)

Anyway, Joss, I thought you might want to know that Anne Rivers Siddons is being inducted in the Georgia Writers Hall of Fame this year at the University of Georgia. The event is April 12 at 10:30 in at the student learning center on the UGA campus. I'm sooo excited b/c Heartbreak Hotel is one of my all time faves. Pat Conroy, Terry Kay, Ferrol Sams and John Stone will also be there. We'd love to have you there, too!!

Posted by Leandra at February 16, 2007 6:59 PM

Oh Joss! Please fall all over Ace Atkins at Southern Voices and tell him how I have a MAD CRUSH on him (and/or his main recurring character), and that I've had that MAD CRUSH for more than FIVE YEARS and that I, too, love dirty old back road jooks possibly converted from defunct cotton gins and tracking down blues themed mysteries in the Delta and that if he ever gets tired of his new bride she should go on ahead and LOOK ME UP!

I'm so glad Mr. Husband is going with you... less likely that you'll develop and pursue your own mad crush on the world's most desirable man.

Posted by Name Deleted to Protect the Slightly Creepy at February 16, 2007 8:49 PM

re: Mac and PC commercials. I can't help but love the poor PC guy, I feel endeared to him. I want to give him a big hug during each commercial. He just tries so hard! I'd rather have a puter that tried hard than a smug one that thought it was all that and a web cam.

Posted by Heather Cook at February 17, 2007 1:13 AM

oohh.. Fab paperback cover.

Posted by Heather at February 17, 2007 5:11 PM

You know Joss this gives a whole new meaning to...

LOOK! Something shiny.

Posted by Cele at February 17, 2007 7:44 PM

Beautiful cover.

And please do not discuss your dog's scrotum in public.

It makes librarians mad, and then they refuse to stock the Newbery winning book.

:-)