Comments: So...

Oh Joss! He's adorable! Congrats to the new addition to your family!

Since the equation to your happiness (and mine too - thanks for bringing that to light) is X+1, where X is the number of animals you currently own, does this mean you'll be looking for a little white foo-fooey-looking girlydog that you can affectionately name Cream Cheese? (just playing devil's advocate *big grin*)

Posted by Eighmee at January 28, 2007 8:46 PM

That puppydog is almost as cute as his name!

Posted by TrudyJ at January 28, 2007 9:05 PM

Oh--he is just gorgeous--and I hope the bath improved his scent since he seems to have become one with the chair. So how did Schubert react? And it appears that the little pads on the bottoms of his paws are pink(ish). . .

Posted by Roxanne at January 28, 2007 9:38 PM

Oh, he is so adorable - much better than any old bluetick hound. If the gas persists try feeding him lamb and rice dog food. It'll help -I speak from experience. I once had a Golden Retreiver with gas so bad even she would leave the room. I now have three dogs, three cats and by the way three kids - notice a pattern here? Hope you guys are very happy together!

Posted by Cathi at January 28, 2007 10:22 PM

Oh, I LOVE him! Congrats, POTS... can't wait to meet him.

Posted by Karen Abbott at January 28, 2007 10:41 PM

Aaaawwww, he has such a sweet face! I want to reach through the screen and pet him! And I love his new name and the story of how he got it. :-)

Posted by DebR at January 28, 2007 10:46 PM

Bagel!! I love it. I love him. He seems like one of those kinds of dogs that you can just give a really big hug to and they wont flip out and hide from you for the rest of the afternoon.

Posted by Alicat at January 28, 2007 10:56 PM

I did discover that, in small doses, dogs can handle Beano, which is a pleasant thing to know. Although I generally know that they need it too late. Still.

What a BEAUTIFUL Bagel he is! Congratulations!

Posted by Fran at January 28, 2007 11:24 PM

Oh my god... we TOTALLY used to have a beagle named Bagel, and she was so sweet. Your Bagel is just adorable -- congratulations!!!

Posted by Aimee at January 28, 2007 11:35 PM

Oh, Dear Dog, he's cute! Congratulations on your new addition!

Posted by Shelley at January 29, 2007 12:00 AM

What an adorable puppy! Here's to years of fun with him!

Posted by Lynne at January 29, 2007 5:58 AM

Awww, he is awfully cute (and looks completely innocent of any object-chomping). . helps detract from the soulful eyes the bluetick hound had. Though I would have been intrigued to see a picture of demented yellow fox dog!

Posted by Brigitte at January 29, 2007 7:41 AM

Oh. Oh, my. He is calling me to come cuddle him. He has those come-hither eyes...

On the gas issue - cheap dog food exacerbates this. Alpo and Pedigree are almost certain to give any dog with tummy-type issues horrendous gas. Iams is a great alternative, or one of the healthy Purina types (Beneful). If the GI issues continue after a week or two on a slightly more expensive but healthier food, try Science Diet or Hill's I/D (my vet swears by the latter). Finally, keep in mind that you have no idea what he's been eating before now - any change in diet for a dog is likely to result in a few days of upset tummy (which may also account for the lack of poo, plus the new environment, but he'll get there!). Any other health issues, just shoot me an e-mail - our pup is always having some issue or another, and for the less serious things, I can pass along the advice I paid my vet for, but for free ;)

Posted by JenA at January 29, 2007 8:24 AM

Oh my. Hello, Bagel! I know you are going to swat me for saying this, but beagles and bassets are just plain smelly. I mean, both breeds are very sweet (although they also tend to be very barky, so I will be curious to see if once Bagel realizes this is HIS DOMAIN if he becomes extremely loud) but have fun with that bath, because it's likely to leave him smelling lovely for about an hour. Then his natural HOUNDNESS will return and he will be doggie-smelling again.

That face is pretty irresistible, though. I would put up with eau de dog for that face.

Posted by Mir at January 29, 2007 9:03 AM

oh, my lord, he's cuter than his name! congrats on finding such a great dog!! so can you bring him the next time you speak in atlanta so someone (me) can play with him?

Posted by liz at January 29, 2007 10:27 AM

Hot dog!!! Congrats! Bagel, I love it. He is the perfect indoor cuddly dog size, too.

Posted by Michelle at January 29, 2007 10:51 AM

He's beauteous! And such a bagel I could eat him right up! He'll poop, don't worry. New situations can constipate dogs, just like it does people. Encourage him to drink lots of water and it will happen!

Posted by Edgy Mama at January 29, 2007 11:07 AM

As Aimee said above, we had a Bagel of our own when we were little! What a sweet face your new friend has- Congrats!

We got a puppy a little over a year ago and I cannot say enough about a handy little product called Bitter Apple spray. You spray some on items the puppy shows interest in demolishing. As soon as it hits his tongue he will CHANGE HIS PUPPY MIND. It has saved countless Barbies, cushions, shoes etc. Also, make sure he has his own chew toys, because some dogs (like ours) have a powerful urge to chew and if they don't have something appropriate to gnaw on your stuff will suffer the consequences.

The gas might be from a new kind of food if what you are giving him is different than what he's been eating. Puppies stomachs are super sensitive to change. It goes away soon enough. It just won't *feel* soon enough.

Posted by Laura at January 29, 2007 12:34 PM

Oh mi gosh Bagel is adorable. He has the same face Arlo does, in fact he has Arlo's colouring. The only difference is Arlo is pure bassett and weighs 83 pounds. Bagel will smell just fine after a bath for at least a week, sometimes Arlo smells good for three weeks. Have fun.

Posted by Cele at January 29, 2007 12:37 PM

Oh! Oh! He's so cute! And cuddly looking! He sounds perfect. And wouldn't you rather that he eat headphones than nice shoes? I'm very happy for all of you. (How's the cat reacting?!)

Posted by Diane at January 29, 2007 1:22 PM

Oh, I want a bagel, too. (He is so not a Brad.)
Congrats!

Posted by amy at January 29, 2007 1:47 PM

The biggest compliment I can pay the pup--even I would buy this dog! What a cutie.

Posted by Becky Levine at January 29, 2007 2:04 PM

Oh, oh! I grew up with a Basset/Beagle mix named Abby. Bagel looks just like him, so you might be right on the parentage. Good news, Abby was a wonderful and loyal dog who lived a long and happy life.

The gas thing is pretty much a basset trait. I figure it is how their GI system compensates for being a big dog in a little dog body. ;-)

Posted by Rissa at January 29, 2007 2:19 PM

That dog is too cute! Brad for a dog's name is CRAZY but Bagel, even more crazy but that's why it's so dern cute. Enjoy him.

Posted by Dawn at January 29, 2007 2:58 PM

Bagel is the bestest!
What a wonderful name for a handsome pup!

Posted by kim at January 29, 2007 4:40 PM

Oh, Bagel!! The cutest and sweetest puppy I've seen outside of the residents of my own household. And take heart, the smell of thousands of other dogs does eventually vanish... after about... a week.

Posted by Angela at January 29, 2007 5:31 PM

Bagel is very cute. If he continues to be a farter, you need to read the "Walter the Farting Dog" books. They are for Maisy's age group, but poor Walter will have Sam giggling too.

I have a corgi, which is not a little dog, just a short dog, like yours. They are great dogs to have.

Posted by Jo at January 29, 2007 5:32 PM

Congratulations, Joss and Co., on the new addition (and subsequent name change) to your already quite honorable domestic establishment. Bagel, Schubert, Jackson and Scott has a simply splendid ring to it, and I should not be surprised to find your firm on the fast track to the grandeur rightly due the associates of one of such regal bearing. *ahem*

Or, if you prefer: Hey, ya'll, that's a right fine lookin' dog ya got there. *thumbs up*

Posted by David at January 29, 2007 6:23 PM

Bagel looks like an outstanding dog. This must be said.

This must also be said: My wife read this blog and pointed it out to me. What ensued immediately following can only be described as The Loudest Husband/Wife Laugh-Out-Loud Rolling-On-The-Floor-Laughing-Our-Appendages-Off outburst in human history. I think it was the Brad/Angelina/Protestant comment where I personally completely lost it and had to stop reading for the sake of I WAS HYPERVENTILATING.

God bless you, Joshilyn Jackson, for your work in strengthening marriages.

chuck [a/k/a the husband without boobs]

Posted by Dr Chuck Pearson at January 29, 2007 9:21 PM

*laughs and cries happily*

Posted by Monique at January 29, 2007 9:53 PM

Bagel, is soOo adorable,

and his face says: "I am home"

and his body says: "and I am never leaving this chair!"

congrats to the fam..

Posted by North at January 29, 2007 10:34 PM

Too adorable for words, so I just won't even try.

Posted by dee at January 30, 2007 1:08 AM

Looks like a keeper. Cream cheese anyone?

Posted by parrotzmom at January 30, 2007 6:20 AM

Will having an adorable dog with big brown eyes now prevent you from doing unpleasant things to fictional dogs in your books? ; )

Posted by Elizabeth at January 30, 2007 8:24 AM

Oh, good grief, he is SO CUTE that even I like him and I don't do dogs. Ok, except Rocky, you know I loved Rocky. But Bagel! Oh you sweetums! I can't wait to meet you!

And really, I missed the part where you wore Scott down. What DID you promise him? Hmmmm? ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at January 30, 2007 10:19 PM

Dogs are so wonderful to have around - we're considering getting a second one to keep our little guy company when we aren't home.

On the chewing front...Wilbert was 10 months old when we got him and looooooved the chewing. We thought he'd grow out of it.

It's been almost two years. And for us, the bitter apple doesn't work.

So we crate-trained, and it's saved...well, numerous pairs of shoes, the couch, various pillows, and everything else we own, pretty much.

Posted by Allison at January 31, 2007 12:31 AM

I. Wanna. Smooshiewigglebottomsloveonhim.

Posted by Liise at January 31, 2007 5:47 PM

We have a 'Bagel' (named Cleo, tho') and she couldn't be a sweeter dog. Our 2-y.o. can (and has!) sat on her, grabbed food from her mouth (her mouth, y'all), pulled ears, tail, whatever she can get her hands on, and any other form of doggie torture a 2-y.o. can innocently dream up -- all Cleo does is roll her eyes and give her another lick...

(She will 'escape' her doggie run to roam the neighborhood at least once a week though. I'm told it's the beagle in her...)

Posted by Kelly at February 2, 2007 2:17 PM

now, if he had been named brad and his sister was JANET (damnit janet!), i'd have kept him w/brad. but brad and angelina? oh lawd! no no and again, NO!

he's darling and precious and very happy on the chair.

and bagel is the perfect name!

Posted by kristen at February 3, 2007 11:15 AM