Comments: The E.V. Strikes Back. Or Out. Or I Strike Him.

Oh sweetie, get those most precious children of yours to another pediatrician.... please.

Posted by Deb at January 23, 2007 6:09 AM

Pardon my swearing, but CHRIST ON A BICYCLE!!! What kind of doctor can't tell POISON OAK when he sees it and confuses it with either chicken pox or impetigo????????? This probably goes without saying, but do not EVER let your preciouses anywhere near E.V. ever again. I would certainly change practices all together, just to ensure you never have to deal with him. And I'd send a letter to your current practice telling them exactly WHY you're never coming back.

Posted by JenA at January 23, 2007 7:37 AM

I have this mental image of hordes of commenters descending upon the Walmart practice, ripping Evil Vet from where he cowers next to his cages of tiny bigeyed kittens--
and then scrubbing HIM furiously with Comet all over.
I think this warrants a nasty call/letter to whatever Highest Entity is over that practice, don't you?
hopingHopingHOPING Sam feels better soon.

Posted by Elena at January 23, 2007 7:38 AM

Dear Joss, I am sorely temped to suggest that you send this post and the previous one to your beloved pediatrician with the stern/vehement/flaming recommendation that he get the h*ll rid of that incompetent ba***** before the practice gets sued over his wanton stupidity!!!!

Can you tell I'm miffed? I don't even have kids and I wanna -- well, do something very rash. I wrote it out here and had to delete it for, um, legal reasons.

Maybe you should turn a couple of rednecks loose on that guy.

Posted by David at January 23, 2007 8:33 AM

Oh, it is bad indeed when anyone is cleaning-not-blogging in the wee hours. I hope Sam feels better soon, and I am sending you calming thoughts simply so you can marshal your considerable verbal forces into a devastating explanation delivered to your practice as to why they need to get rid of that "doctor."

I hate when others screw up at the expense of my kids. Your kids, too. Anybody's kids, really.

And I feel for Sam. I've had a weeping chewed-up case of poison something-or-other--the doctor wasn't sure WHICH nasty plant, but he did identify it as a PLANT, in any case. Hugs all around.

Posted by amy at January 23, 2007 8:51 AM

Joshilyn,
I hate idiot doctors. When my son was in 1st grade I rushed him to the family doctor. He was swollen, red, and itchy everywhere. The doctor diagnosed rheumatic fever and sent me to get tests on his heart. The swelling did not go down and I was calling the dr everyday to make sure this was expected. My son couldn't even walk because his feet were so swollen. After a few days I couldn't stand it anymore and decided to take him back to doctor. Well , he was on vacation. I had to find another doctor to see him. I went in, the doctor looked at my son and said it was an allergic reaction to penicillin. My son ended up missing about 10 days of school. I could have beaten the original doctor.

Posted by Paula at January 23, 2007 8:58 AM

GAAAHHHHH. Too incoherent with rage on your behalf to form a cohesive thought.

Posted by Mir at January 23, 2007 8:59 AM

Oh, my sweet bunny slippers, this man should not be allowed near anything with his stethoscope... So, for the love of all that is fuzzy and lawful good: document, document, document. Get all the reports generated from the ER visit. Get copies of all the reports generated from the original doctor visit. Report ALL of this - every little thing down to the parenting comment -- to the head of the practice. COPY THE STATE MEDICAL LICENSING AUTHORITIES, and file a formal complaint, if possible. If you can (though it may be hard, since they are massively overworked, and he might be reluctant to 'tattle') ask if the attending ER doc will write a letter to the practice, as well. If he does, get a copy and send it along to the state board.

Just walking away is easier, but it does nothing to solve the basic problem. It's all well and good to just change practices, but good doctors are hard to find, and quite frankly, shouldn't be. This man shouldn't be practicing on *anyone.* I'm not suggesting you lead the crusade against him, and sue for malpractice -- which would be harder on you that it's worth in the long run, anyway -- but the idea is to make it very clear to the practice that you could, and that therefore this man pretending to be a doctor is a serious liability to them. Finally, reporting everything to the state boards will make the burden of proof easier on the person who finally does sue him, because there will be a record of complaints. Who knows? The way this guy sounds, you probably won't be the first to have filed a complaint.

Posted by Alix R at January 23, 2007 9:07 AM

Everything Alix R said?

DITTO.

If he hasn't already, he's going to damage someone permanently with his incompetence. And his patients are too young to report him themselves!

I'm all up in high dudgeon myself now.

Posted by momadigan at January 23, 2007 9:32 AM

I think the rednecks are showing their own brand of intelligence. They know ER doctors are better than regular doctors.

Be very afraid. My husband regularly fails students in Org. Chem. who go on to medical school and become practicing physicians. It's so bad I've been tempted to ask to see a doctor's undergrad transcripts before committing to a practice.

Otherwise, seek out doctors who are also faculty members at good medical schools. Those are the keepers.

The best bet for exacting revenge on EV is word of mouth. Medical malpractice isn't what it should be. I knew someone who had non-disolving stitches put in after her C-section. Not only did she have several miscarriages as a result, she had to have major stomach surgery to fix it. They sued, but they didn't even get her medical expenses covered because they couldn't prove whether it was the nurse or the Ob/Gyn who picked out the sutures. The ones that were used were the toughest they make; the same ones they use to reattach tendons and ligaments. Not an easy mistake to make.

It may be too late, but that Tecnu stuff has helped my outbreaks of poison ivy from spreading accidently and you can put it in the washing machine with his clothes and sheets and stuff.

I hope he's feeling better and y'all are able to stay chilly.

Posted by Sabra at January 23, 2007 10:01 AM

Oh, honey. How awful! I feel for you. I can't imagine how enraged you are. The only bright spot (well, it's not a bright spot at all not that I think of it) but at least you have the means to get the word out about this to your friends and anyone who you marginally like there in the area. I'll be thinking of you!

Posted by Keetha at January 23, 2007 10:09 AM

Please, PLEASE tell me you're going to tell your regular pediatrician about all this! The EV needs to be gone from their practice sooner than soonest. Actually the EV needs to have his medical license yanked. Gaaahhhh!!!!!

Posted by DebR at January 23, 2007 10:14 AM

GRRRRRRRRR. That bastard needs to be taken DOWN. I hope you'll take Alix R's advice and document what happened and report him to your pediatrician. He is a VERY VERY BAD MAN.

Posted by Aimee at January 23, 2007 10:50 AM

Ditto Alix. Despite the fact these giant practices THINK they have you at their mercy, they don't. Have it put in your charts that your kids are NOT to see E.V. as you have had a number of disturbing interactions with him. Speak to the head doc and admin. of the practice. If the gate keepers don't want to let you talk to head doc, call after hours when he's on-call and HAS to call you back. Bottom line, it's your kid's health- you are the CEO and they are your employees, you tell them what it scceptable, not the other way around.

Posted by Chris at January 23, 2007 11:41 AM

I'm with Alix - and everyone else - on this one. Don't let him victimize another helpless patient who paid him for help. The state boards are powerful, but word of mouth is even more so. Do both.

Posted by Cele at January 23, 2007 11:46 AM

Evil Vet is a dick among dicks. You should definitely speak to your pediatrician about it, and also have them make a note in your kids' files that under no circumstances is he to treat your children for so much as a hangnail. I'd also find out what organization or board you can file a complaint with. I'm sure a lengthy paper trail of his incompetence will be necessary before anyone does anything about it, sadly.

And whoever mentioned word of mouth is right, also. You should tell your pediatrician you'll be spreading the word over hill and dale. I'm willing to bet the notion of that story spreading through mom's clubs, church and carpool drop off like, I don't know... POISON OAK will have more of an effect than anything else.

Posted by Laura at January 23, 2007 12:04 PM

I thought/hoped there would be a central website for folks to share such stories so as to protect others. Sadly, everything that I found was too "help us doctors help you" and not enough "help your neighbors avoid those of us who should have our digits sown together and then be beaten with panty hose filled w/ mangos by everyone we've ever failed utterly as physicians." (dot.com) But I can't agree enough about Alix's feedback - hopefully you wouldn't be the first person who will have complained. Heck, you could be the proverbial nail in the paperwork coffin! (be the nail! be the nail! That could be your call to arms!)

Posted by Femtastic at January 23, 2007 1:05 PM

How DOES one go from poison oak (a common childhood malady) to FLESH EATING BACTERIA?!?!?!?

Seriously, run to the phone and call your regular pediatrician to rat on what this cook is doing to THEIR patients. We had this problem at the school, and we were looking to fire a teacher for problems we were having with her, but we couldn't catch her in the act saying or doing anything improper in the classroom. Wouldn't you know that at the end of the year my phone started ringing with parents complaining about what their kids heard in class that year? I can't fix it six months later and would have sent said teacher out on her bum had I been given the info sooner . . .

Perhaps the group is looking for a situation just like yours to boot E.V. out on his grossly incompetent backside.

Posted by Michelle at January 23, 2007 1:54 PM

It's the "proscribe" "prescribe" thing again. Sorry. Still like you though.

Posted by Jeff at January 23, 2007 2:19 PM

1)Everything Mir said (plus a little !@*%#&! of my own)
2)Everything Alix said (please, please, go after this !*&%#$! and then blog about it)
3)What Aimee said, about him being a VERY BAD MAN
4)I'm so sorry, Tulip...lots of love and quick healing to Sam...:(

Posted by Amy-Go at January 23, 2007 2:31 PM

How close do you live to the ocean? Close enough? Is it warm enough to jump into? Even for a teensy bit? Because, and I AM NOT A DOCTOR, but that said, I've "prescribed" OCEAN - Rinse, repeat - to a number of poison oak sufferers and all have thanked me and promised me their firstborn children for the relief it gave them. (although I suppose, depending on the age of the child, getting rid of the first born might have also been a relief to some of them) But I digress. If the ocean is ridiculously far away, salt water bath can give some relief, but for some reason not anywhere near the same as OCEAN.

Posted by Laume at January 23, 2007 3:09 PM

I think this is most definitely, beyond a shadow of a doubt, certainly the time for a Strongly Worded Letter to the E.V.'s boss. And on the cc that you send to E.V. you can coat all of the Poison Oak in all of the land, and I think even Jesus himself would say, well done Joss.

Posted by Angela at January 23, 2007 4:39 PM

I'm so sorry about all of this. Poor itchy boy.

Posted by Sueb0b at January 23, 2007 5:09 PM

Oh, poor, poor baby. That goes for both you and Sam. I'm really obnoxiously allergic to poison ivy, oak and sumac, too (I get the rash if I LOOK at the dern stuff), and salt water is some GOOD stuff - but if he's scratched the spots open, it hurts like HECK. Oatmeal baths, baby, that's where it's at. Plus, the squishy is fun when you're a kid.

Hope everyone's doing better soon. And major ditto on what Alix said.

Posted by Elizabeth at January 23, 2007 7:26 PM

I've come late to the party. . .so ditto, ditto, ditto. . .we could probably ALL help you to write that letter. . .

Posted by Roxanne at January 23, 2007 8:49 PM

Poor kid, y'all have my sympathy and empathy. When I was his age, I was immune to poison ivy/oak/sumac. A couple of years ago, I learned the hard way that I was not only allergic now, but shockingly so. I end up on steriods, because just the tiniest contact (second hand from the dogs) goes wild and spreads like Kudzu in the summer.

Posted by Rissa at January 23, 2007 10:58 PM

I am praying that E.V., very soon, will go to the doctor with a sore throat and be told that he needs a colonoscopy. And then have to have three or four more just to be sure that what they see up there are actually his brains.

Because clearly, that is where he carries them.

Posted by Angela at January 24, 2007 8:57 AM

Wow--all my sympathies and all my agreement with everything everybody has said. I can just hear and feel your fury (partially, of course, because you express it so clearly!), but also because we just went through this with my husband's bicycle accident and the hospital in our area you supposedly "want" to go to for trauma. Trauma, maybe, anything else--nada. (It's on my blog.)

We live in hills of poison oak and I wish I could give you any cures we've found. The only thing I can come up with is WASH EVERYTHING HE HAS TOUCHED. The first batch my son got, we washed the clothes and the sheets and all that, but it kept coming back until we thought of...his watch!
(Same son is convinced your EV did all this on purpose, BTW.)

Good luck! At least now you know the only life-threatening thing around is your next phone call to EV.

Posted by Becky Levine at January 24, 2007 7:45 PM

I'm so sorry. Did you by chance get the "litigious redneck" gene? If not, you deserve a mega Chocolate Martini. Right now.

And yes, Steve Almond is delicious. I lurve every word he write. EVERY ONE! I don't typically read non-fiction, but Candy Freak was one of my top ten books last year. It is the BEST non-fiction book ever written!

Posted by Edgy Mama at January 24, 2007 9:31 PM