Comments: 99 Things About my Mother and 1 Thing about her Mother.

Godspeed, Joshilyn's Grandma.

PS I love the phrase "plain brown forgotten days" to the point where it just made me weep.

Posted by Aimee at December 11, 2006 10:54 AM

Thank you for sharing your mother with us today as you (and she and your whole family) mourn the loss of your grandmother. I'm sorry for your loss but loved hearing of the connections (and confections). Peace.

Posted by Lilymane at December 11, 2006 11:17 AM

This is beautiful. Much like the one you made for your father. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Posted by kristen at December 11, 2006 11:24 AM

Wow, what a wonderful tribute. Godspeed Granma Grissom, Godspeed.

Joss you always give me the most delightful things to steal from your blog. I don't have your wonderful way with words, your delightful wit, but thank you for the ideas and sharing the insights of you. Thank you.

Posted by Cele at December 11, 2006 12:41 PM

Oh man, you and your mom and your gramma made me cry. Bless you all with beautiful blessings.

Posted by lizardek at December 11, 2006 1:38 PM

Only you could see past the other facets of your grandma to arrive at a place of utter gratitude because she was the beginning of your mother. That was beautiful, and I totally get why your mother is proud of you.

Hell, I'm proud of you.

Posted by Mir at December 11, 2006 3:16 PM

*sniff*

*wipe*

Love this, gives me an idea for my blog. Thank you!

Posted by Liise at December 11, 2006 3:30 PM

You are a tribute to your gandmother (and mother).

Godspeed Grandma! (And I picture Grandma making sure that the angels are steering properly and that St. Peter has the gates properly polished and squared!)

Posted by Kelly at December 11, 2006 4:28 PM

I know no higher tribute than the one you paid your grandmother. The most supremely lovely thing she did was to rear your mother to rear you. I think the circle of strong, determined, beautiful women will be unbroken.

Posted by Roxanne at December 11, 2006 7:06 PM

Wow. *sitting here in awe* If you aren't a wonder, Joss. I was just dying to make a comment about dispeptic, blind weasles and then you went and sprung that beautiful eulogy. Just lovely. God bless.

Posted by David at December 11, 2006 7:10 PM

God Bless, Sara Lee, may you rest in peace.

I too have a southern Mama (Virginia) from a poor family and she, in turn, had a Mama who was hard to understand but who raised a strong, beautiful woman. You know, Joshilyn, sometimes living up here with all my Yankee in-laws, I'm hard pressed to explain why I'm proud to call myself a southerner. You're the kind of southerner I'm proud to be -- kind, funny, fierce and keenly aware from whence we came.

Posted by Carrie (in MN) at December 11, 2006 9:03 PM

God speed Ms Grissom
And hugs to you and yours Joss.

Posted by kim at December 11, 2006 9:20 PM

My thoughts are with you and your family, Joss, and I hope your grandmother is at peace.

Your mom sounds like a really wonderful woman. Thank you so much for sharing the 99 things about her with us.

Posted by DebR at December 11, 2006 11:40 PM

What an amazing legacy of women. Thanks for sharing this. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this time.

Posted by Kim G. at December 12, 2006 12:02 AM

Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful. What a love letter.

Posted by Laura at December 12, 2006 12:55 AM

Joss, you should put all these "100 Things" entries in a book - a published one and/OR a handwritten one - for your children. Every time you do these I am nearly brought to tears. They are so beautiful.

billie

Posted by b at December 12, 2006 7:56 AM

Thanks for sharing this. You write beautifully and must make your entire family so very proud.

Posted by Keetha at December 12, 2006 10:24 AM

Beautifully done. Godspeed to her and my condolences to you and your family.

Posted by inkgrrl at December 12, 2006 5:32 PM

That was beautiful. Soounds like your family has it's fair share of amazing women. Quite a legacy to live up to.

God bless you and yours.

Posted by Sheri at December 12, 2006 8:32 PM

Whew!! Absolutely all-enveloping of a mother-daughter relationship!! Amazing clarity, wit and charm, Joshilyn!!

Deep personal condolences, at the loss of your precious Gramma!!)))Hug(((

North

Posted by North at December 12, 2006 11:03 PM

Pssst.. I put your two books on my santa-list, and this website, to "gittem" as only a signed one will do!

Anyone from Kirkland Lake, order me your books for christmas yet, or am I getting a lump of no?"

Posted by North at December 12, 2006 11:06 PM

Your words made me cry. Was that your goal? if so, mission accomplished.

Like most everyone else here, I'll echo that this was a beautifully moving tribute to your Gramma. Sometimes, it takes only one thing to make a life exceptional. With your list, you show us that your Gramma's life was truly exceptional. We have all been blessed by your Gramma, because she gave life to YOUR momma, and that brought YOU into this world.

Hugs and love to your family in this very difficult time. You're still in my thoughts and prayers.

Posted by dee at December 13, 2006 12:27 AM

Oh baby. I'm so sorry about your Gramma. And so, so blessed by this beautiful post. No doubt your Mama is proud. You and she will both be in my prayers today.

Oh and #44? My Mama too! Maddening. ;)

Posted by Amy-Go at December 13, 2006 9:19 AM

You have an amazing way with words. I feel like I know your entire family from just reading this list.

Beautifully written, and not a bit saccharine. Fantastic.

Posted by Angela at December 13, 2006 12:12 PM

How beautiful. I bet your mother cried when she read this, such a beautiful tribute. I'm very sorry for your grandmother.

Posted by Laura Florand at December 13, 2006 6:16 PM

HUGS to you and your family after your Gramma's passing.

Posted by Heather Cook at December 14, 2006 12:48 AM

My most sincere and heartfelt condolences on the passing of your grandma.
Beautiful tribute to your mother.

Posted by Heather at December 14, 2006 1:07 AM

Wait a minute! Ruby Jewel? Corey's Pawpaw and his twin brother BOTH married women named Ruby Jewel.

Posted by Heather at December 17, 2006 10:36 PM