Comments: Polite Cough

Curiouser and curiouser. In this country, where every individual is promised the rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, the judicial system is set up to avoid punishing those who infringe on those rights of others. I "get" the idea that it is better for a hundred guilty men (or women) to go free than one innocent man to go to jail, but I'm not sure I "agree" with it. Double jeopardy is a great idea; it prevents people from being persecuted by the police and the district attorneys et cetera. However, if a person offers to confess IN PRINT and SELL said confession, perhaps they could be convicted, not of the original crime, but of the pure dimwittedness of their "all-I-have-to-do-is-add-the-word-IF,wink wink," belief that people WANTED them to get away with murder.
I haven't finished my coffee, so I have no idea if that made sense, but I am pretty sure that it conveyed adequately my disbelief that ANYONE could have that much sheer nerve!

Posted by JJMixson at November 21, 2006 8:56 AM

I had the same reaction to the news of the BadJuice book and interview cancellation. It felt like a little bit of hope and light breaking through a big fat wad of darkness.

Posted by DebR at November 21, 2006 9:01 AM

I had that reaction, too.

Posted by Aimee at November 21, 2006 10:33 AM

Happy Turkey day Joss and all.

Posted by Cele at November 21, 2006 11:15 AM

I can't believe that Fox thought it a good idea in the first place.

But there's a lingering thought - what about the 1st amendment? Everyone has a right to a voice, not just the popular people - and even those with extremely bad taste and no morals. Let the book be published and then languish. (I understand that) the money goes to his kids, so excepting the publicity there wasn't any gain from him exploiting his wife's death anyway. There is a lot of crap out there that's been published. Should we as a people be able to prevent something from being published? Except for special circumstances (yelling fire in a crowed theater) free speach means free speach. let him have his book. In my opinion, it's just like anything else. If you don't like it, don't buy it or don't watch it. And - I am wary of anyone's criticism of a book or a movie if they haven't read it or seen it.

I am sorry if I seem sanctimonious, I try not to be. I wouldn't have read his book but I wouldn't have stopped it from being published either. I complain when preachers tell their congregation to not watch a movie or not read a book when they themselves haven't read or seen it. I try not to "preach" one thing and do another.

Posted by bob at November 21, 2006 3:09 PM

Bob -- I repectfully disagree.

It's November. NaNoWriMo is on, and TENS of if not HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of novels will be completed this month. I predict that less that .001% of them will be purchased for 7 figures by a major New York Press and given a big media push, BUT I don't think NaNo-ers are having their first amendment rights violated.

The first amendment does not guarantee the right to a major publishing deal. No one has "silenced" him. He can EVEN NOW publish his evil pile of exploitative crap using Xlibris or Lulu. Heck, he can print it up on tracts and pass it out at the bus station or put it up on his My Space page. No one will arrest him...

...as long as he GIVES the story away, thank you. He may have legal problems if he DOES make dime one because I think the IF in the title is a BLATANT and ugly end run around the Son of Sam laws...

But my point is, he has the right to say or WRITE anything he likes, but no one has the right to front table space in B and N. And that's all he has lost.

I REMAIN GLAD!

Posted by joshilyn at November 21, 2006 4:30 PM

>polite cough from the WET side of Washington <

There was quite an out-cry from the small FOX stations and INDEPENDENT booksellers about the OJ book and I do hope that swayed the mighty Murdoch. Bookstores loudly said we will carry this odious trash and all monies will be donated to our local Women's/Children's shelters. It was a good discussion among us, about the censoring aspects of not carrying it, and I'm proud we all came to the same conclusions in the end. No one wanted to keep money from this.

And, in the crass commercial spirit of the seasons, Seattle Mystery has signed, first printing copies of gods in Alabama and Between, Georgia

and we have snazzy red gift wrap!

Posted by Tammy Domike at November 22, 2006 9:49 PM

I can't even talk about the OJ thing. It just makes me too mad.
As for the books - I ordered three of them for contest winners, and would you believe that I totally forgot to order one for myself? I have no idea what I was thinking. It must have been something like "I already have a signed copy of each", but still, a first edition hardback of gIA? Gosh, I'd almost be willing to give up one of my babies for that! Hopefully, the husband will take note of that e-mail with the Booksmith link in it and get me one of those for Christmas. Here's to hoping, right?

Posted by dee at November 23, 2006 11:35 AM

I think beyond money this man is looking for attention -- any kind of attention. I wrote a civil note to my local tv stations and received a very pleasant response. I think many people were looking for a way not to have to be a part of giving this man a venue. I am pleased that no one is going to make money philosophising about two cruel murders and will be very happy when people stop paying any more attention to this man. I am very happy to not provide myself as his audience.

Posted by Gillian at November 24, 2006 2:19 AM

Hope you had a great thanksgiving with the fam!

I echo your sentiments about the OJ book, and tv interviews!!

Has society, picked up it's spine at last?

Posted by north at November 24, 2006 10:43 PM

point taken. revoking a publishing deal is not violating his 1st amendment right to speach. Spending the money to promote his book thereby preventing other people from being published is a bad thing.

This is obviously a sore point for you and I apologize for having commented in the first place.

Posted by Bob at November 27, 2006 4:37 PM