Comments: In Which I am Scrutiating Famous

Awww, I used to have fantasy pants. Wait, do YOU have my fantasy pants?

Posted by Lydia at November 6, 2006 9:43 AM

You're thinking of this all wrong! Clearly you did not look quite as wretched as you THINK you did, otherwise how could she have recognized you from your pretty author photo? So that means that you are so VERY pretty that even limp hair and no makeup and dirty jeans and olive-oil Rorschach sweaters can not disguise your fabulousness.

Posted by Aimee at November 6, 2006 10:46 AM

Does anyone else, when they hear the phrase "Fantasty Pants", get transported back to old, long buried memories of The Bachelor and "Fantasty Dates"? No? Just me?

Oh, well... okay then...

Posted by Angela at November 6, 2006 11:23 AM

This just adds to the growing mystique and ledgend that is becoming Josilyn Jackson.

Posted by Cele at November 6, 2006 11:48 AM

I HAVE read American Gods, and loved it, and I ALMOST bought Anansi Boys this weekend. That's it. I'm going to get it.

All of my jeans were in the dryer last Friday morning, and I almost ended up taking my son to school in pink flannel pants with cats in dapper pajamas all over them. Instead, I just wore damp jeans.

I would have enjoyed just bumping into you in the book store, no matter how disreputable you looked!

Posted by Jessica at November 6, 2006 12:01 PM

What Cele said. Was this in-the-know woman a FTK reader? If so, it was probably seeing you with the adorable Maisy which confirmed her suspicions.

I must be the only person in the English speaking world who can not get into Norrell and Strange. Now that you've recommended it, I'll try it again.

Posted by Elizabeth at November 6, 2006 12:01 PM

Does Mr. Rourke welcome people to your fantasy pants? I totally hear him in my head: Weeeeelcome! To Fantasy Pantsland!

Posted by Mir at November 6, 2006 12:43 PM

To me it just sounds like "fancy pants". . .but I'm sure were I a man, I could think up a whole new meaning for "fantasy pants."

Posted by Roxanne at November 6, 2006 12:46 PM

When I hear the words "fantasy pants" I think of pants that, as soon as you zip them up instantly make the wearer look 6" taller and 20 lbs. thinner. But that's just me. :-)

I needed a laugh today and you and Maisy delivered, Joss.

Posted by DebR at November 6, 2006 1:24 PM

Oh my, it's nice to know that my favorite authors can go out looking like I do when I'm home schlepping around. Except my fantasy pants have bats on them.

I agree about Gaiman, and I really loved both "American Gods" and "Anansi Boys"! So, if you liked those and you're still in a fantasy sort of mode, you should read Beddoe's "The Looking Glass War". Honest, you should, it's fantastic!

Posted by Fran at November 6, 2006 2:36 PM

no matter how foul you THINK you looked, you're still my POTS. *awwwwww*

Posted by Karen Abbott at November 6, 2006 2:46 PM

On the subject of Neil Gaiman, Coraline is nice too. And it's a YA book so you can read it really fast :)

The really nice thing about SF/Fantasy is when you go to the section at the store, it's almost guaranteed that at least one other shopper there will be more bizarre than you :)

I have Jonathan Strange and read the first few pages. I couldn't get into it either.

Mir, if Mr Rourke welcomes you to Fantasy Pantsland, I've really got to wonder what Tattoo points to instead of "DE PLANE! DE PLANE!"

Posted by Laura L at November 6, 2006 3:12 PM

I always think of something my intrepid spouse said a few months ago, on the topic of writing wardrobe choices...

I.S.: I really need some new clothes.

Me (sitting at keyboard): I do too. Like, I bought these pants four years ago at a garage sale.

I.S.: (inspecting my pants with some distaste). Yeah, but *I* actually go to work. Among sane people.

Me: Well, there is that.

And I loved your title essay. My titling skills are so bad I once made Otto Penzler gag.

Posted by Cornelia Read at November 6, 2006 6:46 PM

hehehehehehe, SHE'S REAAAALLLLLLLL!
OH, I do sooooo, just luvvvvv You!

Posted by desi at November 6, 2006 8:20 PM

by the way...where do you get those pants?

Posted by Desi at November 6, 2006 8:33 PM

Neil Gaiman!!!!

I first got introduced to him in the Sandman series and LOVED Americn Gods. Thanks for the heads up about Boys. That will be next on my list.

Posted by Shawna at November 6, 2006 9:36 PM

Aaaah, guess who's book is this week's choice for fiction at my online book club?? Yes, sugar, it's you!!!! "gods in Alabama" and I've already read it, before all the others!! Ha.. good for you.
I, too, tried to read Jonathan Strange (three times) then I gave up ... there's too many other books waiting for me ... which leads me to my next point - when's the next book coming from you?

Posted by Christine in Los Angeles at November 7, 2006 4:31 PM

Personal grooming self-deprectation aside, I'm sure you made that woman's day, and for that she'll remember you as (deservedly) beautiful. Also, you have some good taste. I read Jonathan Strange in 2004 and its AMAZING. Neil Gaiman is a favorite of mine as well.

Posted by marisa at November 14, 2006 8:35 PM