Comments: Better Than the Water Kind (a conversation with Beautiful Maisy, who is four)

Best. Maisy-Conversation. EVER.

I laughed out loud while reading it and my son wanted to know what was funny. I said "just something on someone's blog" but refused to say more, as I did not want to confirm his growing suspicion that mommies write stuff about their children on their blogs that make total strangers in other countries laugh out loud.

Posted by TrudyJ at October 31, 2006 5:34 AM

Good lord but that cat is FAT.

Enjoy your weal diamond. Though honestly she's got the right idea---a diamond can't really trump actual WINGS to FLY with.

Posted by Mir at October 31, 2006 8:28 AM

I heart the way Maisy's mind works and I heart Schubert's funky tail 'do.

And as much as I love my weal diamond rings, I have to say if I'd been given a choice, I'd have taken a pair of wings instead too. That would be awesome!

Posted by DebR at October 31, 2006 8:31 AM

Joshilyn! We saw a show on Animal Planet while on vacation about a family with an overweight and depressed cat... the animal behaviourist had the family build a sort of kitty exercise room onto their house so the cat could go outside and exercise in the sunshine and fresh air. AND they bought tons of cat toys. Maybe you need a kitty spa addition for the poodle/walrus. :)

One of my beloved cats who was with me for 16 years of my life had a lifelong issue with weight and food. He would, I kid you not, SLEEP with his paws wrapped around his food bowl sometimes.

I was able to get his weight down if I obscessed over the process - but the instant I took my attention off it, he gained it all back.

I've heard good things about Pitcairn's home-made cat food wrt itchy skin... we don't do that with our cats but we do make the dogs' food... might be worth a try... especially paired with the spa..:)

He is a very handsome cat, poodle cut notwithstanding!

billie

Posted by billie at October 31, 2006 8:36 AM

Thought this was as good a time as any, Bane will be giving me my wings the day after Thanksgiving. After almost 4 years, it's time. Thank you for making us smile Pluff.

Posted by Gabi at October 31, 2006 8:40 AM

Awwww. They are both adorable, though I'm thinking he wouldn't appreciate being called adorable.

Wings? That would have been so cool.

Wanna know a secret? My ring isn't real. You know why? Because he paid for massage school and a table for me. :) Now that's just between you and me, k?

Posted by Autumn at October 31, 2006 9:34 AM

I think real wings trump weal diamonds every time.

And... good LORD but that's a lot of cat. Thanks for the picture!

Posted by Aimee at October 31, 2006 10:21 AM

Lovely post, I laughed out loud too.

Heck, he's a chunky kind of cat. My vet told me cats rarely overeat. Perhaps he is bored?

Posted by Jas at October 31, 2006 10:36 AM

Thanks for the photo! You are good to your clamoring comment-poster-people...um, you know, us.
Thanks also for the fascinating peek into the Life of Little Girls. I have two little boys. As far as marriage goes, the older one (almost 5) is going to MOVE INTO THE BASEMENT with his wife, and they will have dinner with us every night, and I can take care of the babies, and if she doesn't want to live with us he won't marry her. Well. He used to want to marry me. I hate when Freud is right.
I'm sort of fond of my ring, which is actually a weal sapphire, and being a Virgo, my first thoughts were, How would I get clothes to fit over the wings? Would the wings be washable? Do they fold up or something, or are they always sticking out....

Posted by amy at October 31, 2006 11:15 AM

Seeing as how I'm a girl whose life doesn't hang on the balance of diamonds in her account (two one from hubby number three and one from my grandfather) I'm going with Maisy and saying I'd like the wings please. Sheesh I could have three pairs by now. Or would I have to give the other two pairs back? dayuum

Tell poodlewalruscat that his tail is remincent of Clarence the Crosseyed lion's. Maybe it will take the edge off his evil eye and instill some naked pride.

Posted by Cele at October 31, 2006 11:43 AM

We need a shot of the ridiculous poodle tail up in the air, please?

Posted by Edgy Mama at October 31, 2006 11:45 AM

Well. I'm almost disappointed! The poodle-walrus-cat is actually nowhere near as naked and baleful as I had imagined. Well, baleful, maybe. He is pretty baleful there.

I just had a similar conversation with my 5yo son. He is, apparently, going to be a fireman, marry his little friend from school (who he has the BIGGEST CRUSH EVER on) when he's 21, and then they're going to live with us until he's "all grown up," which will apparently be when he's 59.

I can't say as I would trade my ring, with its (itty-bitty) weal diamond for wings now, since it was picked with thought, love, and care by my dear husband, and I've grown rather attached to it. However, had he, at the time, given me a choice between a weal diamond and wings, I most certainly would have chosen the wings!

Posted by Jessica at October 31, 2006 1:01 PM

I'm impressed. Only four, and able to recognize and appreciate diamonds. Oh, those poor boys. *tsk, tsk*

And Schubert? Good lord, that cat's bigger bald than some fluffy ones I know. I'll make you a deal. Send him out my way for a while. He'll lose some weight running around outside and I'll lose some of those pesky, non-leashed neighborhood dogs.

Posted by David at October 31, 2006 1:51 PM

If someone gave me wings, I would definitely marry them.

And re: the catso - what a nice, BIG boy!

Posted by Suebob at October 31, 2006 6:18 PM

Kids are too funny.

Posted by Heather at October 31, 2006 10:47 PM

Oh man, I was laughing so hard tears were in my eyes! It is a perfect description of the 4 YO mental process.

Posted by Brewgal at November 1, 2006 12:51 PM

A truly enjoyable, pick-me-up buttercup kinda read!! Thanks for the giggles.... I needed that!

Maisy is so adorable... what an inquisitive little girl!!

with loving kindness,
North

Posted by North at November 1, 2006 10:01 PM

OMG I really did not believe they shaved your cat. But now I see that my skepticism was misplaced. WOW. He looks FOUL. *cackle*

I bopped over to see if you had pictures from Halloween posted. But now I see that you do not.

Posted by Lydia at November 2, 2006 9:11 AM

Cat looks fine to me...

Posted by rams at November 3, 2006 3:20 PM

I think the cat-poodle-walrus is darling and if I didn't know what I knew about him from the previous entry (about his TOE), I would snuggle him.

Seriously, my cat is 3 feet long (stretched out paw to paw - that's not including the tail) and until recently, weighed around 20 lbs.

She's 18. Gotta be doing something right (weight has come off with age, mind you).

Why can't we just be more accepting of Schubert's body? I mean, wouldn't we want him to be accepting of our appearances? (ignoring the fact that he is a cat and does not need to accept us)

Posted by Nicole at November 3, 2006 11:41 PM